It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 07:33 PM   #1
(female)

phub HB User
why does my right thigh get numb when I walk?

why does my right thigh get numb when I walk?

Old 01-21-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: why does my right thigh get numb when I walk?

It could have something to do with the sciatica nerve being compressed from the lumbar area of the spine. Have you seen a doctor or had a work up for this?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 AM   #3
(female)

phub HB User

I have an appt. on Wednesday. It started around the holidays while going for a walk. A few months ago, I had problems with plantar fascitis and its been much better since I stretch more and wear good sneakers all day long (I was a big no shoes at home kinda person) but have no idea if its related at all just that its the same side. One thing I do know is thats its a bad idea to surf the net with your symptoms. Now I'm worried that it could be ms. I don't have any of the other symptoms and I'm 48 years old. I think my problems are weight related. I was wondering if anyone has tried acupuncture to relieve numbness and tingling in the thigh caused from walking. Thanks for your reply.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Hi, I have burning and numbness in my legs quite often. Most likely it is nerve root compression or Meralgia paresthetica which is pretty harmless but hurts like h@@l( my neuro said it translates as Devil's Pain) I wouldn't worry about ms just yet. But do check with a doctor to see if you have herniated a disc or something like that. If you catch it early you may be able to fix the problem with some PT and rest. Dee

Last edited by deeannek; 01-22-2008 at 08:24 AM.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:42 AM   #5
(female)

phub HB User

I don't have pain just the tingling numbness. I wonder if a good massage would help besides the acupuncture? I'll have to read up on herniated disc and root compression. I'll let you know what the doctor says after tomorrow. Thanks for all the help.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User
Cool Re: why does my right thigh get numb when I walk?

In my opinion a massage is never a bad thing.

Old 01-22-2008, 09:07 AM   #7
(female)

phub HB User

Thank you for suggesting herniated disc because it sounds exactly what I have. Several years ago, while my husband and I were building our log home in 1989, the scaffolding collapsed on us and we fell over 2 stories down to the ground, (my husband was in a position to fall with it and got a sprained ankle from it) but I fell straight down and broke several ribs and many of the little bones at the bottom of my spine (the ones not connected to ribs - forgot the name). Since then, they have always been sore with the weather or hurt when I bend over (ie,when shampooing someone in a sink - I'm a retired hairdresser). But maybe this could be a connection somehow to that accident? The other symptom I had lately, which I didn't think was connected, is a soreness and swolleness in my left back, like in the kidney area.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Wow I'd say it would be a miracle if you didn't have a back problem. Geez I bet that hurt. I wish you the best at your doctors appointment. Make sure you tell him or her exactly how you are feeling and don't minimize how you feel. If its bothering you make sure the doc knows it. again good luck and keep us posted. Dee

Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
(female)

phub HB User

My doctor told me it could possibly be meralgia parasthetica or L-2 -L-3 radiculit is. I had some xrays taken of my back to rule out a possible fracture and I have a follow-up appt. in March. An MRI if the soreness in my back doesn't go away. Thanks for all of your help.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:35 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

I guess I am a good guesser (lol) I am glad you got to the doc and are getting help. You said you were a retired beautician? If only you could help my hair. It needs professional help (lol) Good Luck and Take Care, Dee

Old 01-25-2008, 06:25 AM   #11
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Does this only happen when you walk? Or is it AFTER you walk? Or do you wake up with it, for example, or just feel it when sitting around watching TV?

What kind of a doctor gave you this recent suggested diagnosis?

I wondered if rubbing a topical gel such as BioFreeze on the thigh helps with the pain?

Old 01-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
(female)

phub HB User

My right upper thigh gets numb when I have been walking for a bit (maybe after 5 minutes), or if I have been seated for a long time. I haven't woken up with it. And its not "pain", its a numbness and tingling that drives me crazy!!! It's a weird feeling.
So far, I have just gone to my family doctor who specializes in arthritis but Wednesday I'm going to a licensed acupuncturist for the first time. Its not necessarily for my back problem but just to clear my energy.
I'll have to check out the gel. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
(female)

phub HB User

Since my last post, I've been to an accupuncturist 4 times and I feel so much better. I still get tingling in my thigh but it doesn't last as long and isn't as severe. I've been walking more and bought a mini trampoline for those icy cold days. I feel better and next week I'm going to try out cranial sacral massage along with the accupuncture.

Closed Thread