It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User
Update from problems two weeks ago.

Well gang went to the docs today for a follow up from my high BP two weeks back. My BP is better than it has been in like 6 months or so it's was 127/84, I'm so happy. It has been creeping down all last week. BUT my type 2 diabetes is out of control still in the 160's in the morning before breakfast! thats bad. Well they started me on some meds for the sugar and gonna get pretty much every blood type test there is to do, which is good it has been a while since that was done. OH almost forgot! I lost 4.5 pounds in the last two weeks!!!! I'm so proud of that.

My back pain has been increased but I think it has to do with everything that has been going on the past week with mom in the hospital and all that extra stress. Dr. did test my strength & reflexes in both legs & feet and my nerve damaged side is much worse than it was 6 months ago. That really saddens me because I thought that was doing ok instead of progressing.

Now my big question for you guys, since my back isn't getting any worse why would the stregnth & reflexes be getting worse???? The pain is always worse in the cold months. The stregnth & reflexes never were worse in the cold or heat. I guess I'm gonna make that 3 hours drive to my spine dr. just to settle my mind a bit.

I look forward to your replies, hopefully soemone can solve the great mystery, lol.

Thanks for all the support thru the past few weeks of troubles. You will NEVER know how much it helped to know I could come here and be understood.

God Bless

Carol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Chris54 HB User
Re: Update from problems two weeks ago.

Have you tried Byetta for the type II diabetes? Heard it really works wonders and helps with weight loss also. I think I am lossing my strength from having so much pain and not wanting to move around. I hardly ever walk anymore. They measure me, and I seem to measure out the same. I just wonder if it is fat and not muscle. I have gained so much weight recently and now they have a nurse coming 2 times per week to talk to me basically and take my vitals. They put me on a high fiber diet and want me to drink more water. I started Chantex today, hope I can quit smoking. I hope your bP stays down. You really need to get something to regulate your sugar though. I think you were stressing over your mom and your pain will calm down for you. Pain, such an ugly thing!

Old 01-22-2008, 04:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Yes, I think you're right, the change in strength and reflexes is something to look into. Could be that the increase in pain isn't only due to all the stress. I hope it's nothing and that the spine doc will give you a big thumbs up (or at least a thumbs level...).

Yea for the blood pressure! That's great! As for the diabetes, well, that's a toughy. It's hard to keep it under control. Keep doing what you're supposed to do -- I know you are! My son is a type 1 and feels he has it easier than type 2's. His body makes zero insulin, so he has to inject for every meal. But he can eat whatever he wants, since he just takes whatever insulin is needed to cover it. He could eat a whole gallon of ice cream and a whole cake with no problem! But it sure makes me worry. I found out recently that he's not testing as often as he's supposed to, just taking the insulin without checking. I confronted him and he readily admitted it and said it's just so hard and he's so tired of having to always think about it. Whether type 1 or type 2, it's something that you can never take a break from. It can wear you down! When you have other medical stuff going on, it can affect the diabetes, too. It's normal to have times when you need to readjust meds. I'm sure they'll get you back at a good level. You're a good patient and want to take care of yourself, and that's half the battle!

Let us know...

Take care,
Emily

Old 01-22-2008, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Im glad your BP seems to be under control, that is always good news, though im sorry about the diabetes and strenght/reflex problems. Make sure you get that diabetes under control next. My sister has diabetes and she is always having problems related to it, it's not fun. She went to ER this weekend and was admitted for one day for something strange that happened. Her blood sugar was okay when she came in, but it went way up while in the hospital, go figure. She went due to a sudden, severe headache with vomiting and confusion. They did all sorts of tests on her and in the end didnt know what happened, what else is new. I was thinking either severe migraine or god forbid maybe even stroke. HOspital supposedly didnt find anything in the blood tests, CT scan, x-rays, nor MRI, so who knows. They said it could be due to her diabetes and other conditions. She seems okay now, though, thankfully.

Hey, congradulations on the weight loss, though! I wish I could lose some weight, it just isnt happening, though. I cant do any cardio to get my heart rate up & burn calories enough. Plus it doesnt help with the steroids b/c I always get bloated from it.

Maybe your strenght & reflexes worsening is due to the nerve damage. I do know nerves are involved in the reflex arcs. If there is alot of nerve injury, then one might lose a reflex that's connected to that particular nerve root. Of coures i cant say for sure, but its a guess.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mamakitkat HB User

Thanks for the replies,

Chris, Byetta? is it a med for diabetes? I haven't been on any meds until now, thats why I'm so bummed out, I have been controlling it by watching my diet and now that isn't working too well.

God BLess

Carol

Closed Thread