It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2008, 11:40 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User
Cymbalta withdrawal

I know that a good many of you are on Cymbalta and have been concerned about withdrawal symptoms when stopping this drug.
If you have read my threads, you know that I am weaning myself since the PM wanted me to just cut the dose in half and wean off in 1 week!!! Not a good idea! The capsule has 160 pellets and I have been dumping a few out each day. This morning I went from 38 dumped to 50 dumped since I was not having any withdrawal symptoms. I may have gone too fast.....today I have a bad headache, mild tremors, a strange humming in my ears, body aches, significant anxiety, "med head" and definitely more nerve pain. I'm using my TENS unit which helps the pain a little. I still want to come off it in the hopes that when seeing the neurologist they can find a combo of meds to get rid of the nerve pain. I think I will stay at 50 pellets for a few days...I'm determined to make it through this. I'm so nervous though....I hope I don't feel worse tonight. I can handle what is happening now but if it gets alot worse.....I'm not sure I'll keep you all posted.

Deb

Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User
Re: Cymbalta withdrawal

[QUOTE=deb53;3411738]I know that a good many of you are on Cymbalta and have been concerned about withdrawal symptoms when stopping this drug.
If you have read my threads, you know that I am weaning myself since the PM wanted me to just cut the dose in half and wean off in 1 week!!! Not a good idea! The capsule has 160 pellets and I have been dumping a few out each day. This morning I went from 38 dumped to 50 dumped since I was not having any withdrawal symptoms. I may have gone too fast.....today I have a bad headache, mild tremors, a strange humming in my ears, body aches, significant anxiety, "med head" and definitely more nerve pain. I'm using my TENS unit which helps the pain a little. I still want to come off it in the hopes that when seeing the neurologist they can find a combo of meds to get rid of the nerve pain. I think I will stay at 50 pellets for a few days...I'm determined to make it through this. I'm so nervous though....I hope I don't feel worse tonight. I can handle what is happening now but if it gets alot worse.....I'm not sure I'll keep you all posted.

Deb[/QUOTE]

Hi Deb,

May I ask why your PM doc is taking you off the Cymbalta? Was it not working for you? Or were the side effects to much to handle? Just curious. I have my first PM visit on Feb. 18th...so I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the different nerve pain drugs out there. I'm not even sure if I'll be put on one, but if I am...I want to be sure it's not one that will cause weight gain. I've been doing my homework on them, and so far it looks like Topamax is the only one that hasn't caused weight gain in anyone taking it. I do understand what you're going through with the withdrawal thing, though. I kind of went through a similar episode recently, when I ran out of Tramadol. It's not a pleasant feeling, for sure. I felt lethargic & disoriented, couldn't focus or concentrate on anything, had chills, headache, and body aches. As soon as I got my script refilled, all those symptoms went away. I couldn't believe how quickly I had developed a dependency on the Tramadol in such a short amount of time. Unfortunately, the Tramadol doesn't touch my nerve pain..which is the reason I'm trying the PM doc. I'm hoping he will put me on some kind of nerve pain med...preferably the Topamax. We'll see....

Linda

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

kate26444 HB User

You should post this letter on the addiction board. They have wonderful people to give you suggestions on how to deal with what you're going through. There is probably someone who has gone through what you are and can help you. It's a great group of people. Check it out...Kate

Old 01-26-2008, 02:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Kate,
Thanks so much for the idea. I will definitely check that board out.

Nscrbug,
Would that be a Nascar Bug? I am on Cymbalta and Neurontin for nerve pain. The pain is not controlled with this combination. The last doc I saw recommends that I see a neurologist who can try different drugs to attempt to manage the pain with meds. My PM is adamant that I need a spinal cord stim but I am not ready for that yet. I'm guessing that is why he was absolutley no help in getting me off the Cymbalta. Cymbalta interacts with many of the different nerve medications so I'm trying to get off of it BEFORE I see the neurologist. Then hopefully I can immediately start something that may help. Also the Cymbalta cannot be taken with migraine meds such as Immitrex and Maxalt.....something no one told me at the time. Another good reason to come off the Cymbalta for me. Topomax is actually used in patients to prevent migraines as well as used to treat nerve pain. I'm thinking of asking the neurologist about this med for me as it will address both issues.

Thank you both for your posts!

Deb

Old 01-26-2008, 03:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Deb for keeping us updated on this mediation. It sounds like you need to go slow and steady. Good luck and I pray that things go easier for you and that you do not suffer alot of pain from the withdrawal.

Last edited by ms_west; 01-26-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Old 01-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Thanks Pepper so much! Tonight actually hasn't been any worse, so I'm hopeful! It's going to take over a month at this rate, but it will be so worth it if I have no withdrawal symptoms!
How are you feeling? I hope you are not still falling. Is the pain any better? You continue to be in my prayers my DDP friend!

Deb

Old 01-26-2008, 10:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Thanks Deb for asking and the prayers. I am still falling and the pain has been unreal - that cold weather is making the old spine scream. I am praying for tropical weather!!

Old 01-27-2008, 06:12 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Oh Pepper, I'm so sorry that you are still suffering. You have been through so much. If I knew where you were I would drive up INT 95 to Northern VA. to give you a big, gentle hug (((((((((Pepper)))))))))) I could be there by lunch time and we could have a big mug of DDP!
When do you see your primary doctor? Hopefully he will be able to determine the reason for your falls.
I'm staying on the 50 pellet cycle today. Maybe I can get by with no withdrawal symptoms!
Warm breezes and prayers your way.

Deb

Old 01-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #9
(female)

apocalypto22 HB User

hi all,I was on cymbalta,found it did help with my back,problem,WC refused to authorize anymore so without money I withdrew forcefully from the drug,I had racey heart,dizziness etc,a weird feeling.Come to find out suppose to gradually stop.Thanks to comp lucky didn't get cardiac arrest

Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Did you get the dizziness on the meds by chance? I am having intermittent dizziness. Last night it was so bad that my hubby made me sit on the couch and drink a gallon of orange juice (well maybe that is an exaggeration but it seemed like it) and he almost made me go to the doctors. He was so worried. Since I have started cymbalta, I have experienced this on 3 occassions.

Deb, I see the doc on 2/6.

Hey, light bulb moment, I was having balance issues before I started cymbalta maybe 1 or 2 times -- since starting the cymbalta I am having balance issues 2 to 4 times a day. [B]Could this be related??[/B]

I am off to read side effects.

Old 01-27-2008, 09:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

loss of coordination, fainting is a symptom - I am not fainting but I can't walk without falling -- I think I might have just solved part of my problem.

Thank you apocalypto22 for your post!! You just may have helped me tremondously. That is the beauty of this board!!

Prior to cymbalta, I was having a problem 1 or 2 times in four weeks. Since cymbalta it has increased dramtically. At my last GP appt, he said he was going to run tests if it continued. I have been toughing it out for my appt on 2/6 but I am thinking I need to call him in light of reading the cymbalta side effects. I just did not put the two things together.

Last edited by ms_west; 01-27-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Old 01-27-2008, 02:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Pepper,
In the beginning on the Cymbalta I found I was sometimes walking sideways(I looked like a drunk), off balance at times, even though I didn't really feel dizzy. I never fell thank heavens. That seemed to resolve for me after about a month, but I am only on 30 mg. Now that I am weaning I am having more of the dizziness issues. It almost seems that the withdrawal symptoms are the same as when you first start taking the med.
Well girl, I hope you just got the answer to your falling issues. I know the Cymbalta helps your nerve pain though so that is a tough call for you. How long have you been on the Cymbalta? Maybe that side effect will decrease after awhile. If you need to come off I'm sure your wonderful GP will get you off the proper way. Keep me posted.

Deb

Old 01-27-2008, 02:18 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Update...50 pellets today and no withdrawal symptoms. I'll try for 55 tomorrow! Yea, maybe this will work after all! I'll get off this drug in spite of that PM!!!

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 01-27-2008 at 02:18 PM.

Old 01-27-2008, 03:17 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Someone suggested that I post on the Drug and Addiction board of HealthBoards and I did about the Cymbalta withdrawal. I got a good response. It seems that many patients have resorted to opening the capsules and tapering very slowly. That makes me feel a little better about the way I am doing this!

Deb

Old 01-27-2008, 03:32 PM   #15
(female)

Avalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB UserAvalon HB User

[QUOTE=deb53;3413337]Someone suggested that I post on the Drug and Addiction board of HealthBoards and I did about the Cymbalta withdrawal. I got a good response. It seems that many patients have resorted to opening the capsules and tapering very slowly. That makes me feel a little better about the way I am doing this!

Deb[/QUOTE]

I had exactly the same problem, Deb...including the doctor who recommended I taper off in a week! The Cymbalta did not help my nerve pain and I couldn't take the side effects (which I don't remember, at this point, I've tried so many different nerve pain drugs). I didn't experience the withdrawal symptoms until I had been off Cymbalta for about 3 days. Then I got REALLY sick....so sick I had to cancel a business trip. Doctor insisted it was not the Cymbalta. I went back on the drug and tapered on my own. I took WEEKS to do it, and was counting the granules just like you. Even after all that, I still went through a bit of a withdrawal after I stopped. IMO, that drug is really insidious.

Closed Thread