It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2008, 07:38 AM   #1
(female)

nikki1970 HB User
Question hole in back

hi all i have a hole in the base of my back which has suddenly appeared and is very sore, the hole is about 1-2cms diameter but my hubby says it goes into my back for about 3-4inches which is as far as he can see so it could be bigger,has anybody any idea what this can be and what could be the cause of this
any info much appricated!

Old 02-06-2008, 08:29 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User
Re: hole in back

Nicky,
this sounds scary - I would go and check with your DR asap!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Nikki,
I agree, that sounds serious. You should probably see your doctor or go to the nearest hospital emergency room. Please keep us posted. Good luck.

Deb

Old 02-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

In order for you to have something like this, the muscles are not being responsive there or you would not have that sunken area there. It is obviously not normal and could be a sign of injury or trauma, so you need to get this looked at.

Post surgery, I had a little muscle atrophy on my lower back right side and it was hard to get that muscle to activate and kick started working again. It was very noticeable to my therapist but it had to be called to my attention.

Hopefully it's not a big deal, but it's not something that I would not just let go and such. It's worth getting it looked into so at least you know the cause and if its something to be concerned about or not.

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 02-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

OMG, when you say "hole", do you mean the skin is open and he can see in there??? Or is it more of an indented area??? Either way you should see a doc, but it the skin is open you better get to the ER right away.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:19 PM   #6
(female)

nikki1970 HB User

its deffinetly a hole my hubby can see into it he reckons he could get most of his little finger into it, i rung my surgery to see doc explained what is going on and they have made me an appointment for the 19th feb they reckon they cant see me any earlier they to busy,dont fancy going to a&e because it is sore but not sore enough for me to bother them and not sure if it is an emergency,

Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Umm, not to scare you, but if someone can actually see into it and put their finger in, I really think you need to go to the emergency room! What if you have a staph infection or somethign like that?? I personally would not mess around or wait on something like that. Had you injured yourself at all? Or did you have a sore or something on you before the hole happened??? I would not wait til the 19th, it might be something serious and maybe could spread more.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:41 AM   #8
(female)

cherylww HB User

It sounds like a staph infection. If it is then you have to go to ER! You don't mess around with that stuff. Staph nearly killed my dad twice.

Old 02-08-2008, 10:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Nikki,
If we are all understanding you correctly you really should not wait until Feb. 19th!! If this is caused by a major infection you could get very, very sick as the infection can get into your bloodstream as well. Can you go to a hospital emergency room? Good luck and keep us posted.

Deb

Old 02-08-2008, 03:24 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I agree, please don't ignore this --- an infection would be devastating in this area.

Old 02-09-2008, 07:12 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Nikki,
I am here again... I wouldn't suggest for you to wait, this is not good (don't want to scare you, but I feel this way). It make sence to "bother" them and say how serious this can be.
Please, let us know what is going on.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM   #12
(female)

jenny333 HB User

my daughter had something like that. it was from staph tho. it started out small then got deeper and deeper. it was doing this because it was draining. then one day, it stopped and started to grow back together. I did have to take her in to the er and they had to give her meds and iv. wish you luck and hope it gets better for ya.....

Old 02-11-2008, 12:28 AM   #13
(female)

nikki1970 HB User

i know this might sound silly but what is staph

Old 02-11-2008, 03:49 AM   #14
(female)

jenny333 HB User

Staph is a skin condition in which some causes boils on the skin that drain with pus, some don't drain and become hard and red and needs to be cut out. They form little holes in the skin because they fill up with pus and infection. My daughter had the hole in her back because the staph she had drained on its own and left a hole. Then after she was put on anitbiotics, I noticed a little drainage but the hole seemed to get smaller. She still has what looks like a mole or freakle on her back but it did take time to heal. I wouldn't wait....I would go to the er. Staph can be very painful and life threatening. I had a mrsa and I actually had to be put in the hospital to have it cut out. The doctors said that had I waited too much longer, it would've got into my blood stream and bones and it could've been fatel. I am not saying that what you have is staph but I would definitly go have it checked out asap. Hope this helped some....you can always look alot of this stuff up on the internet. Lots of info there but not much in books. Let me know what happens.

Old 02-11-2008, 08:58 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

Nicky,
stuff infection on a skin can be dangerous, but in most cases is not a life thretining condition (usually it's a boil).
But in your case it can be very DANGEROUS. I will explain to you.

After you had spinal problem, especially if you ever had a spinal surgery, tissue around that area becomes weak and let's say not a healthy one. From than on - it's a weak spot in our bodies.

If you watched the last episode of ER on TLC, they showed a young man who got stuff infection under his arm (boil). Boil drained by itself, but infection traveled to his spine (he had previously injury in there) and set up causing this poor man paralysis of his low extremedies.

Drs couldn't understand what is goin on; it took a long scary time for them to find out the cause and what this was? Stuff infection in his spine.
They treated him (thank God it was on time) and his is OK now. But if they wouldn't find out - he could die or left paralysed.
My surgery was done at HSS in NYC by a very "big" Dr Camissa. He told me from now on when I have dental work or any other surgeries, infections, common cold - I have to take antibiotics. And all his patients after spinal fusions have to do this.
I tell you this only because seems to me you don't know much about it and don't understand how bad it can get.

I really worry about you. The hole you have - it can be infection inside the insision. Please, girl, hurry up and see somebody!!!!

Last edited by Moldova; 02-11-2008 at 09:02 AM.

Closed Thread