It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM   #16
(male)

deviphish HB User
Re: lumbar back fusion at l4/l5 , l5/s1 levels on 2.20.08

emily <> LOL..... I'M sorry for bringing up the past , i was/nt sure if you were talking about today or the past !!! thank god you were talking about the past , i got 8 more days till my surgery... the countdown has begain - i'm actually looking forward to it I NEED TO GET OUT OF PAIN !!!!!!!

BILLY

Last edited by deviphish; 02-12-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #17
(female)

Nina21 HB User
Post Re: lumbar back fusion at l4/l5 , l5/s1 levels on 2.20.08

[QUOTE=deviphish76;3429704]hello
i am brand new to this site , and support all that are unfortunately on here ! i am scheduled to have a lumbar back fusion in 14 days , i had a decompresion "lamectomy" spelling off - in 2004.. my back has ben killing me for the last 5 months and had a number of tests in the last 2 months :
mri - discogram - mylegram - ekg <> they all were positive , 2 herniations at both levels , stenosis , nerve compression. my roght leg is numb along with my right butt cheek , i'm in tons of pain and have not worked since 11/07. if anybody can tell me what to expect after my surgery and the recovery time , i would appreciate that.. i'm on oxycodone 7.5/325 for pain and it just does'nt work for me !!
god bless evrybody that has to deal with suffering in there lives !!![/QUOTE] I too, had 360 fusion at the same levels you will be having. My surgery was performed June 2006. Unfortunately, after the surgery I've had many complications including bronchitis and pneumonia. Due to the severe coughing the hardware shifted in my back requiring two additional surgeries to remove the hardware and the surgeon also had to perform a laminectomy (unsure of correct spelling). I don't want to scare you but I will be totally honest with you in regards to what I've been going through and have gone through-but remember each case is unique! I felt really good after the 360 fusion surgery... The doctors had me up and going two days after surgery...it would have been sooner but I had such a migraine headache and was so nauseous that I could not move the first day or so after the surgery. However, I was out of the hospital after the 4th day of surgery. It was not until I got the chest infection that everything went down hill. I also have an underlying thyroid condition that has been effected by the different pain meds and radioactive tests that were performed to determine the extent of my back injury... this has complicated my case as well. But long story short...after 3 surgeries I still have severe back, groin and hip pain. I can not stand, sit, walk or lay down very any length of time. I had to limit my driving because of the pain and numbness in my legs and feet as well as because of the meds I am on...the med that worked the best for me was Opana, however the doctors believe it contributed to my thyroid "conking" out...now I am on Oxycodone 20 mg, 2 times a day. It is NO WHERE as effective as the Opana was for me. Just last week I had an arthrogram to determine why I am having such debilitating back, groin and hip pain...I won't know the results until the end of Feb. (that is my next appt. with the back surgeon).

I can tell you this... this has affected my life in all aspects. I had just recently gotten married prior to the accident (2004) and to make matters worse I was injured at work-so it is a workers comp. case. If anyone knows anything about dealing with workers comp. you are at the mercy of a nurse case workers who is the person that has the final decision as to your treatment including tests, pt, etc. This delays the treatment significantly. None the less I am on my 6th case workers because they either rotate them, promote them or they leave because they are "gal fridays"...so my care is being managed by a person who probably is so over worked, underpayed that he/she has not the adequate time to review my file and my case is very involved due to so many complications. Just as an example, the doctors had thought I had developed a hernia after the first surgery...workers comp. scheduled me for surgery prior to me being looked at by a doctor who specializes in the field. However, I allowed them to schedule the surgery but finally succeeded in having them send me to a doctor to determined that it was NOT a hernia but a blood clot. (I certainly would not have gone for the surgery if I wasn't checked out by a physician first, but sometimes it is easier to have the surgery approved and then be seen by a doctor...and yes... it is putting the cart before the horse...but I had to do it to cover myself).

I have to say many people are against worker comp. doctors fearing substandard care, but I have to say my Dr. has come to bat for me and I feel is a very compassionate doctor and an excellent Ortho. Surgeon. Do yourself a favor, research your doctor(s), use stool softeners because you will develop a problem with bowel movements, do the stretches and the exercises that physical therapy teaches you...however, DO NOT over do it.
Eat healthy and drink plenty of fluids..., don't smoke- or be around others that do, it only impedes the development of new bone growth, know that you are not alone as you can see from this board...and don't ever be afraid to ask questions...and to express your fears/concerns to your doctor(s)... The surgery you are about to have is not a simple one...they go through your abdomen- move major organs and arteries...place a titanium cage and remove the damaged discs, ...then they turn you on your back, and replace the removed discs with cadaver bone/or your own bone add rods and pedicle screws to secure everything...the doctor was able to see new bone growth in me just weeks after my 360 fusion surgery.

Driving will be an issue for some time. I would recommend you not drive for at least 8-12 weeks after surgery, if not longer. I was unable to sleep in my bed, I was most comfortable sleeping in my recliner for the first 6 weeks or so post-op.

I wish you All the Best!!! And if I can help you further please, do not hesitate to ask...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #18
(female)

CHETNSUE HB User

I hope all goes well with your fusion. I know that you will be in good hands with Dr Phair. He did my ACDF a few years ago and it healed beautifully. I was wondering who your Neuro was ? Mine is Rosenblum. Any ways we have about the same symptoms but I am not having a fusion I am just going to have shaving of the bones done at where they are crushing the nerves. or at least that is what I am understanding

Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 AM   #19
(male)

deviphish HB User

CHETNSUE :::: HELLO how are you , hopefully your pain is under controll !!! as you no i am having a 2 level fusion done at l4/l5 , l5/s1 by doctor phair this wendsday.. my neurosurgent is doctor rosenblum , he is a wounderfull doctor as well - dr.phair & dr.rosenblum work together.. Dr.rosenblum did surgery on me in 2004 i had a lamenctomy done , he did a GREAT job BUT my back got worse over time.. i never got to 100 % after my surgery in 04 and i am a carpenter , my back got really bad in the last 8 months.. i saw dr.rosenblum about 6 months ago and ordered a mri + discogram , after he read the results he sent me over to dr.phair.. Dr.phiar did a couple more tests and now im scheduled for surgery in 3 days !!

i think dr.phair is an excellent doctor , he is very straight forward and honest with me.. i think your saying dr.rosenblum is doing your surgery ,am i right ?? if so dr.rosenblum is a GREAT doctor and has tons of experiance , i no plenty of people that worship him.. your in good hands.
god bless and good luck my friend - any questions just ask ok. billy

Old 02-17-2008, 10:00 AM   #20
(male)

deviphish HB User

nina - hey i am so very sorry to hear about your situation , you sound like a positive person and will have to remain that way 24/7.. being positive and mentally strong will help you out in the end - positve , positive , positive = better healing , i truely beleave in that.. evry one on this board has there own story , but we are all here for one another day + night..

i am scheduled for surgery this wendsday 2.20 , and i am nervous as could be - but i no this is the right choice and i need this surgery to move on with my life.. i had a lamectomy 4 years ago and now i'm in for round 2..

my surgery is a posterior fusion , they're going in threw my back.. i wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you.. if you need anything please ask. good luck to you !!!

billy

Old 02-17-2008, 11:36 AM   #21
(female)

CHETNSUE HB User

[QUOTE=deviphish76;3445498]CHETNSUE :::: HELLO how are you , hopefully your pain is under controll !!! as you no i am having a 2 level fusion done at l4/l5 , l5/s1 by doctor phair this wendsday.. my neurosurgent is doctor rosenblum , he is a wounderfull doctor as well - dr.phair & dr.rosenblum work together.. Dr.rosenblum did surgery on me in 2004 i had a lamenctomy done , he did a GREAT job BUT my back got worse over time.. i never got to 100 % after my surgery in 04 and i am a carpenter , my back got really bad in the last 8 months.. i saw dr.rosenblum about 6 months ago and ordered a mri + discogram , after he read the results he sent me over to dr.phair.. Dr.phiar did a couple more tests and now im scheduled for surgery in 3 days !!

i think dr.phair is an excellent doctor , he is very straight forward and honest with me.. i think your saying dr.rosenblum is doing your surgery ,am i right ?? if so dr.rosenblum is a GREAT doctor and has tons of experiance , i no plenty of people that worship him.. your in good hands.
god bless and good luck my friend - any questions just ask ok. billy[/QUOTE]

I know that both doc are very good at what they do. that is why we get referred to them. on a serious note I would not trade Rosenblum for a heartbeat. He is a godsend. he has done 3 of my surgeries and now will be doing the next one. I am not sure if I am needing a Ortho or not on this, since all that he is doing is shaving down the bones but I will ask. As far as the pain.......that stays at a contant 7-8 ......i bear with it and get used to it. we will have get together and meet so that if we have an appointment at the same time I can say I know you. But on a serious note I hope all goes well Wednesday...you will have to keep us posted and our prayers will be with you. Susan.

Old 02-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #22
(male)

deviphish HB User

susan - - thank you , i apprecaite your kind words.. Dr.rosenblum is a wounderfull neurosurgent , i've seen him a bunch of times.. whare do you live in n,j , i'm in central jersey .. I will keep you posted after i have my surgery , the count down is on !!!

god bless billy

Old 02-20-2008, 02:26 PM   #23
(female)

Nina21 HB User

[QUOTE=deviphish76;3445516]nina - hey i am so very sorry to hear about your situation , you sound like a positive person and will have to remain that way 24/7.. being positive and mentally strong will help you out in the end - positve , positive , positive = better healing , i truely beleave in that.. evry one on this board has there own story , but we are all here for one another day + night..

i am scheduled for surgery this wendsday 2.20 , and i am nervous as could be - but i no this is the right choice and i need this surgery to move on with my life.. i had a lamectomy 4 years ago and now i'm in for round 2..

my surgery is a posterior fusion , they're going in threw my back.. i wish you the best of luck and my prayers are with you.. if you need anything please ask. good luck to you !!!

billy[/QUOTE]

Billy,

I wish the best with your surgery- I remembered it was today. Please keep me posted on your recovery. "Us" back patients have to stick together. I too, believe that being positive is half the battle.

Please post as soon as you are able to!!!! Best of luck.

Sincerely,
Nina

Old 02-23-2009, 07:59 AM   #24
(female)

Janaroi HB User
Unhappy Re: lumbar back fusion at l4/l5 , l5/s1 levels on 2.20.08

Greetings All ~ Thanks for listening too, in advance. 7 Months ago, I underwent Spinal Fusion after 2 years of LOTS of pain and moments, where I had to get on all 4's to get relief from such sharp pains. This was all on the left side of my body. And I began having a different kind of pain on my right buttock moving down the side of my leg and then from my knee, to my toes. I can only stand about 15 minutes before the pain begins. It has gotten my worse and I do nothing anymore but sit on my behind and watch TV, I just came back to using my puter, gosh 1st time in a long time. The fushion surgery did heel my left side but there is no answer as why I am having pain so bad on the right side ! The Surgeon ordered a $3500 MRI with contrast, new year, new expense for Insurance, SIGH! Anyway, my Surgean, which I called after 1 week, because I still had not heard from him. He called from "OR", so without my report in his hands, and told he, "what he had done, worked, I was fushing fine. I now have the report myself, CD and written report. He said, I would probably have some type of chronic pain but I could see him for $325.00 and we could talk again. This is where I am today. I need to mention too, I go to Georgia Pain Managment, for my meds and in 2 years, he has given me 14 shots in my back and refuses anymore. I have 2 Beautiful Grandchildren, I want to return to be a Hairstylist, (35 tears) I worked hard to get all my wonderful clients and do a few on the side, but I can't return to a Salon, I simply have too much pain. I am 54 as of yesterday, and I have no life. I raise (4) Maltese Pup Dogs, my Babies, and I am married, although, we haven't had a marriage, for my lack of energy and my pain. I felt and feel CRAZY at times with the pain and the looks I get, from Docs., Pharamicies, Insurance Folks, Uggggggggg, watching my every pill, so I have to count my pills so I have enough for next month's refil ! REAL panic at times and trust me after all this time, it's not that I am getting HIGH on taking them, this is REAL pain, even though I at times feel totally CRAZY !!!
Thanks for listening ! Any suggestions, I would so appreciate !!
I go by Jan !

Closed Thread