It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2008, 04:59 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User
Cymbalta....

Oh my, I feel awful! I know this is a good drug for many people and I don't want to scare anyone, but this withdrawal is brutal. I feel so strange in my head, nausea, ringing in my ears, headache, anxiety, just horrible overall! I don't want to say I feel suicidal but I feel so strange. I can't get any help from anyone.....the doc who prescribed it told me to come off in 4 days....I don't know what to do. I don't want to go back on it but I have to do something. I can't stand this. My insides are quivering. I have never come off of a drug and felt this way. If I go to the ER there is a 6 hour wait and everyone has the flu. I don't want to scare you guys but I don't know what to do. I guess this is like poison to some people. I've been researching and many people go throguh this.

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 02-17-2008 at 05:18 AM.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User
Re: Cymbalta....

I gave in and took 15 pellets of Cymbalta. Maybe it will help

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

My husband was on cymbalta and I have on effexor and lexapra and it was brutal for us to go off of it. Did you taper or go cold turkey? My husband took anti-nausea medicine like you would use for going on a boat or flying on a plane, dramamine. Do you have anymore of cymbalta? Could you take 1 today to help you get thorough the day and then call the doctor tomorrow and maybe get an appt. The doctor can give you medication to help with the withdrawals. You said your doctor said to come off it in 4 days. Does that mean that the doctor said that you would have withdrawals for four days, or you would be okay in four days? I feel for you, we have to weigh whether it is worth it to go on them, get the medications help, and then deal with going off them. I wish I could help you more. Please write back with more info if you can. I am so sorry you are going through this.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:24 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

gorgee HB User

[QUOTE=deb53;3445264]I gave in and took 15 pellets of Cymbalta. Maybe it will help[/QUOTE]

I am glad you did, and I hope it helps. Please write me back and let us know how you are feeling. I would have done the same.

Old 02-17-2008, 06:03 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Oh Deb, it's awful that your having to deal with this. I've read about withdrawal symptoms, but i've never actually experienced them. But I probably have never taken anything for a long enough time to have that happen. But I get some of those things without being on any meds (nausea, vomiting, ear ringing, migraines) ..gosh I couldnt imagine how i might react in the same position. I am pretty sure the symptoms will go away, though no idea how long it might take or if its dangerous at all. Were you able to read that sort of info anywhere? Maybe you should also call your pharmacist to ask about it. I don't know, but if it does not lessen and you are feeling even more strange, such as with anxiety or depression, I think maybe you should go to the ER. Sometimes one cant keep control of what happens. This is certainly not to say something bad would happen, but it might be better safe than sorry. I wish there was somethign we could do for you, but you should maybe talk to the pharmacist and call your doctor about it tomorrow. I hope you can hang in there, hun.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:28 AM   #6
(female)

julie10 HB Userjulie10 HB Userjulie10 HB User

I took one Cymbalta when it was prescribed to me and I couldn't deal with it - it was awful.

Do hang in there and know that these feelings will pass.

I'll be praying for you, Deb.

Old 02-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

The few pellets may have helped a little. I can't walk or move my eyes from side to side, so dizzy. My headache is a "cold" feeling headache, like the brain freeze you get when eating ice cream. I'm so mad at myself for crumbling and taking the Cymbalta, I'm just prolonging this agony.

Kass, thank you so much for your post. I feel like a nut case, like why am I having this much trouble coming off this drug? Did your husband have all these symptoms? Please ask him to share with me, I'm feeling very anxious about all of this and I know in my heart it is the drug. My PM (who really doesn't impress me) told me to wean off by taking a dose every other day x2 and then stop. I knew this was not the way to do it so after reading on line I found where people actually counted the pellets in the capsule. I did this and over about 3 weeks I was doing well. I figured I would be off in about 1 1/2 weeks. I saw a neuro who wants to put me on Nortriptyline and said I could just stop the Cymbalta. Not a good idea. I was OK the first two days off but yesterday was bad and today....well you know. How long did it take your husband to feel normal again? What drug did he use to help him through this? I would appreciate anything you can share with me. I just feel so desperate.

Well, today I've decided no more mind altering drugs for me. I'm done! I'll deal with the spinal cord stimulator and take pain meds the rest of my life. I NEVER want to go through this again.

I was keeping my grandson and had to call my daughter to pick him up. I am not comfortable being here alone with him.

I'm going to bed, when I wake up maybe this will be over.

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 02-17-2008 at 07:39 AM.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:14 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

wow deb,you are still dealing with that wd?i have been out due to a rotator cuff surgery(so please excuse the typing) and just popped in here to see how everyone is doing,and cannot believe how things still are for you hon.what other meds are you currently taking besides the cymbalta?this is just really a huge deal,much more than you should be having right now.i had to do a rapid taper off this stuff a couple years ago that didn't last anywhere near as long with symptoms as you are currently feeling.the one thing i have found when tapering off like the anti s meds is goingonto another while tapering off another usually creates less side effects.i just cannot believe you ares till dealing with this.when exactly did you start tapering?i know it was at least a few weeks ago?

i am just wondering about the way you are actually trying to taper this,if this in itself may be part of the problem.i have just never heard of breaking open a capsule of any med and taking the individual pellets in it.its just completely changing the intended delivery system.you could be somehow taking too much or too little depending on just how much actual medication is actually IN each individual pellet,you know wht i mean?some of those pellets could just be some sort of a filler and not actually contain even a slight amount of active med.you just really have no way of really knowing that part.this could possibly explain why your huge list of side effects are kind of all over the map right now,ya know?i would make an appt with your doc to really dicuss the best possible way to just get this done and overwith.this has just been drawn out wayyy too long deb,it just needs to be finished.there are waysto lessen your side effects that your doc could temporarily rx for you til you can get off this crap.i was able to actually rapidly taper off this crap in like five days.had some side effects of course,but it was just over and done with pretty quickly.and i was having really bad symptoms from this crap before i went off. for about a week once this junk got out of my system,i just felt a bit odd there for a bit,but things,by the end of two weeks,were back to normal,or as normal as they were going to get for me anyways.this has just had you in its clutches now for wayyy too long hon.going off by pill may sound bad right now but when you look at what you have already had to deal with and are currently dealing with,i don't think things could really get much worse for you at this point,ya know?once you get this crap completely out of your system,your brain will start to "right"itself.it just needs that chance to do this without more being added at all.you just really need to convey how bad this med is for you to your doc and plan ahead for any possible problems that culd pop up,but honey,you really just need this junk completely out of your system before you will even have the chance for you to just feel normal again.you are just suffering here withthis deb and this shouldn't be this way,and for this long either.it sounds like your brain is just a bit overly sensitive to the cymbalta itself.this sensitivity can happen in some people with these types of meds that just effect our brains.this happened with my son and prozac.wayy too sensitive to SSRIS as we found out the hard way.you just need off this crap before you will even begin to start feeling better deb. i really am so sorry you are stuck in this nightmare.really.if there is possibly another med that you could taper onto while getting off this crap,your doc could do this for you.coming off somthing else may actually be easier than the cymbalta for you.what actual anti s meds have you tried already at this point?like i mentioned before,it is usully less impactful to actually taper onto another med while tapering off of another.just another option for you that would most likeloy reduce the wd symptoms of the cymbalta.or a temporary med like valium could possibly help too.you just really NEED to talk to your rxing doc about this again.i think your biggest problem is the way your body/brain is reacting to the cymbalta itself and by getting off that and onto another type of this med class,you may have a much easier time than with coming off the cymbalta itself,you know what i mean?this is just getting you no where right now deb.i really do think you are dealing with a totally unknown amount of cymbalta that you are taking in by taking those individual pellets hon,this really is not a good thing when you realistically don't have a clue as to what is even IN any of the individual pellets.since this is ment to be taken as a whole,you could have pellets in there that have alot or even none in them ya know?the types of side effects you are experiencing could be showing you just that.there just isn't any stability or continuity there to keep things and you stable.this just really needs to be done and over.just stopping the cymbalta and dealing with those side effects,well,it has to be done hon,it just has to,or this will continue on this way for ever.your doc just reallyy needs to understand where you are at with this crap and this horrible hold it appears to be keeping over you.i do wish you luck deb,this just has to get over in order for you to finally 'feel right"inside your head again.marcia

Old 02-17-2008, 08:48 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hi Marcia,
Thanks for your concern. The doctor who gave me this drug (the PM) is the one who told me in the beginning to take 1/2 capsule by dumping out half of the pellets. He would not give me any sort of taper to get off the drug because he felt I should not come off....he was very mad that I was going to see a neurologist. I was going to try new meds and the neuro wanted me off the Cymbalta so we could start new meds for nerve pain. So I can't call the PM because he told me not to come off to begin with. I'm thinking I will call the neurologist tomorrow and talk to him. Someone has to help me with this. I don't have a primary physician, I haven't needed one, I don't have any problems which need to be followed, just a cold here and there. I don't want anymore of these drugs My body is struggling with this. I have weaned off other anti depressants two times over the past 20 years and never had these issues. I'm starting to think the things I've read online are true....some people struggle with this drug. Eli Lilly has not warned doctors or consumers about the risks/side effects when coming off this drug. Once the public and doctors are aware then weaning can be done properly.

Deb

Old 02-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

I slept for awhile.....still disoriented, feel very strange, brain cold, fatigue. I did a search on the addiction board and was glad (well not glad that someone else has dealt with this) to see that others are having the same issues. Evidently there are even law suits out there regarding discontinuation of the drug. of course the pain is bad today because I haven't wanted to take anything else to make me worse.
Deb

Old 02-17-2008, 02:13 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

OK...I'm not crazy. I found a number of reputable "medical" sites. It is SSRI/SNRI discontinuation syndrome. I researched online and all of these drugs have this potential. The SNRI's (of which Cymbalta is one) causes the worse side effects when you discontinue it because it works on serotonin and norepinephine both. Tapering may or may not help, some patients have this even if they taper. It can last from 1-4 weeks or in some patients it can cause Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome and can last from 6 months to 18 months. The side effects listed are the ones I have with one of the most frequent being dizziness, worse with moving the head or eyes. The Eli Lilly testing only looked at withdrawal symptoms for patients taking the drug up to 9 weeks. No testing was done for patients taking longer than 9 weeks. Patients need to be managed by a psychiatrist or doctor highly familiar with these drugs. You can apparently get relief by taking a different drug (which does not cause these symptoms when stopping) to get you through these side effects. I'm going to call W/C tomorrow and see if I can see a psychiatrist...I have to get help.
I'm so relieved that I have found what it is that I am crying. I thought I was crazy...I'm not. This is very real and documented by physicians.
Hopefully I can get this under control and then deal with the nerve pain.
Sorry guys...I know you are sick and tired of hearing about my problem with this. Thank God above I have found the cause and I promise not to post again.

Deb

Last edited by deb53; 02-17-2008 at 02:17 PM.

Old 02-17-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
(female)

periwinkle44 HB User

Hello,
This is my first post. I am compelled to write to you as I have been through withdrawal of Cymbalta and want to offer you some support. The first thing is that you will get through this! I experienced much of what you are describing (and more) and became scared after I read about other people's experiences on the Internet. It was helpful, but intense. I called two emergency rooms and two pharmacists during the worst part of the withdrawal. The hospitals seemed to have little to offer other than rehydration and monitoring my symptoms and then would have to release me. The pharmacists were wonderful and gave me a lot of information. My doctor is rather new (took over the practice from my former GP) and was too busy to talk with me (time for a new doctor!).

I tried tapering (by counting pellets) and it seemed endless while I was so uncomfortable. One pharmacist told me that since I had already had terrible withdrawal symptoms to not prolong the tapering and to just get it out of my system by stopping. It made sense to me. The acute withdrawal symptoms lasted for about two weeks. I wasn't so sure I could handle it at times. But, it did get better.

The Cymbalta was not the right medicine for me from the very first pill. This happened about four months ago. It was prescribed for me for fibromyalgia and chronic pain from back injuries. I kept reading that I should stay with it and I would get used to it. I tried for three weeks and then finally realized that my body could not handle this drug. I have been told it is very helpful to some people. But, not for me! (Or you, from the sound of it. I am so sorry you are going through this.) I have changed my thinking since then. I will be much more careful about prescribed medicines and know that I have a different (more sensitized) reaction than many people to some medicines. I will give in a lot sooner if anything like this ever happens to me again.

I would suggest that if you can clear a few days for yourself (possibly with a trusted friend) to get through the first part of the withdrawal, it might help. I went to my mom's house (I'm 44) and it turned out to be a very good thing. However, in hindsight, I should not have been driving. My husband and I did not understand what I was going through until afterwards. He was frightened by my "new" behaviors on the Cymbalta and I made it worse by describing how I was feeling (NOT my usual self).

I came to these forums today because of my spine problems (fingers going numb) and am glad I saw your post. I told myself that I would try and tell someone coming off Cymbalta the things that made me feel better and hopeful when I wasn't sure what was happening to my body. I hope I have helped.

Spine:
7 bulging disks--5 in neck (front and back bulges), 2 in lumbar, nerve damage C4-5, C 5-6 both sides, osteophytes close to fusing anterior and posterior in neck, protrusion into lumbar spinal canal that sometimes connects with the sciatic nerve in my leg, DDD, arthritis, and I just waited two months to see a spinal surgeon and was told that unless my condition is life threatening, he would not be able to help me because of my fibromyalgia. I was feeling a little sorry for myself today. So, thank you for your post. It gave me something else to think about.

I see that you have posted while I took so long to write this. Hang in there!

G

Old 02-17-2008, 02:45 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

mcda HB User

Deb, I am so thankful that you did plenty of research and found those sites. I pray that you can get help with your current condition. I, too, had to discontinue Cymbalta because it didn't help with any of my pain. The withdrawal symptoms are unimaginable. To this day, whenever I hear or see a Cymbalta commercial come on the television, I cover my head or run (or try to run) away! I do realize that it does help some people and am grateful it does, but it just never did anything "good" for me. Please continue to keep us updated!

Old 02-17-2008, 02:53 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Dear G,
I can only say that a higher power has brought you to me today. I was sobbing as I read your post. I feel so awful but you have given me hope that I can and will get through this. Any movement at all and I feel as though I am falling, my head hurts so bad and I am so disoriented. I have been on cymbalta since November.
G, I'm sorry you are hurting and had to find us but thank God you did. Bless you for sharing your story with me. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep in touch.

Deb

Old 02-17-2008, 05:14 PM   #15
(female)

periwinkle44 HB User
Smile Re: Cymbalta....

Hi Deb. It sounds like we have twin mountains of Kleenex next to our computer keyboards! You helped me today as well. May we both feel much better soon!

Gail or "G"

Closed Thread