It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 06:04 PM   #1
(female)

melly2 HB User
lower back pain before a bowel movement

When I was a teenager, I hurt my tailbone because of a tobagganing accident. I recovered but I sometimes get lower back pain when it is damp outside. Over the last 6 months or so, I get lower back pain prior to a bowel movement. The pain goes away as soon as the bowel movement is finished. Does this sound like arthritis?

Thanks!

Melissa

Old 03-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: lower back pain before a bowel movement

I actually have this problem, but I don't know what it is caused by. I once told my neurosurgeon that I did not know the cause, but that I was having this really bad back pain and it was definately at the same time that I either had bad gas or a BM. I asked her if that made since and she smiled and shook her head no. I told her that I knew it sounded odd, but the 2 things always went together hand in hand. I have never brought it up again, and just knew myself that the 2 had a connection somehow.

Let me know if you learn anything.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: lower back pain before a bowel movement

I often experience this as well. I have always contributed it to the fact that inflammation is present so sorry to be blunt but when you push you are using sore inflammed muscles. Hence, the pain is increased.

Just my non medical opinion.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:21 AM   #4
(female)

ihavtwins HB User

I have this problem too, and for me it has a lot to do with constipation. Especially prior to surgery, I could feel pain in my back when I needed to go and I did have arthritis. Try either eating more fruit or taking a stool softener or fiber if you feel it could be constipation. If you are on any pain meds, they can cause severe constipation.

If you are not constipated and having this pain with each bowel movement, I would say definately get the MRI done on your back.

I have to laugh at what the neurosurgeon said, why would she smile when you said that. Its not funny, and not something to smile about and dismiss. I guess when she comes across something that is above her ability to diagnose, it makes her smile?

Doctor's are so specialized now it is so hard for them to think outside their box!

Jen

Old 03-06-2008, 07:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

I dont' think i've had worsened actual back pain from BM's, but...I have had some episodes of sciatica that were horrific. And when I tried to go, it was very difficult or took days to go. And while trying to push, OMGGG the nerve pain intensified even more, and it would also hurt in my buttocks area (well, i wont go into great detail, you get the drift LOL), plus I was getting pins & needles aroudn the area. In my case it was probably constipation and the straining really did me in. One time I seriously considered goingn to the ER b/c the BM just wasnt happening and I think part of it was the excruciating pain that exacerbated when I strained. I was not on any pain meds at that time, though, so no idea why I was so constipated.

Old 03-06-2008, 06:17 PM   #6
(female)

laf761 HB User

Miralax..........Miralax..........Mirallax ( Really loosens things up) Worth a try and no pushing..........really natural.........

Old 03-06-2008, 06:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

I know in my case it has nothing to do with constipation. What about you foster?

Old 03-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

I thought i would add in here. Becareful of the Miralax as i was having these same issues, Mri done for this nothing showing. GI told me to take Miralax three times a day and i'm glad i listened to myself and only did once a day at the most as now i am directed to stop and start taking fiber suppliments as i never have a solid movement or even close to firm anymore since, but i can say i don't miss the numbness i had during the bowel movements and the back pain worsened so what next! I guess what might work for one might not for another. If anyone figures out the back pain/numbness with Bowel movement let me in!
Melissa

Old 03-06-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
(female)

melly2 HB User

A friend of mine suggested that it was due to my bowel expanding as the stool would pass through. I don't get constipated very often. In fact, I am quite regular. I just have a pain in my lower back in the centre as if it is a small circle in the middle of my lower back. As soon as I have the bowel movement, the pain is gone completely. Maybe it is due to a build up of stool and the bowel expands to allow it to pass through. Any further suggestions? Thanks bowel buddies!

Old 03-06-2008, 09:53 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

This is so interesting. I did a post asking this question and got no responses, so I figured after my Dr. shrugged it off and no replies...I figured it was just me. Now I see all these different posts.

As for me, it is definatly nothing to do with constipation. I specifically asked the Neurosurgeon, once she said that she saw no connection, if it could have anything to do with inflamation. I told her that I did not know exactly how my insides looked and where everything was located, but if my l3-l5 area of my back was inflammed, could that inflamation be pressing up against anything like my bowels or intestines. Like I said, she just had a smile of pitty, and shook her head, as if she was thinking "I know you are trying, but you are making no sense at all".

Anyway, perhaps we will come up with a similarity amongst ourselves. I have Arthritis of the facet joints, SI joint dysfunction, Stenosis, Sciatica and failed back and failed laminectomy syndromes. Any of this sound familiar?

Lorie

Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

[QUOTE=lfoster21;3475500]

Anyway, perhaps we will come up with a similarity amongst ourselves. I have Arthritis of the facet joints, SI joint dysfunction, Stenosis, Sciatica and failed back and failed laminectomy syndromes. Any of this sound familiar?

Lorie[/QUOTE]

Okay I have (that I know of)

Lumbar Stenosis
Facet Arthritis
Spondylosis
Sciatica On & Off
DDD
Scar Tissue Build Up from Multi-Level Laminectomies

Although I have said my back pain doesnt really worsen with BM's. I've had worsened sciatic pain from BM's though.

Old 03-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

Yes foster arthritis here too and mild stenosis thus far. Mine was like i would have the back pain but the sciaticwas worse and my leg and genitals would stay numb for a few hours not go gone right away. I am likeyou i really think there is a connection but don't know what.My hubby was hugging me yesterday and when he does this he can feel my swelling in it's ithier the SI joint or somewhere around there or he can feel my hip area is much larger than the other,i can't remember wich exactly he stated now, but it is real. I have been trying some arthritis meds but so far nothing, but this is interesting and i feel dumb once again. I noticed in my last few painpills that they are the wrong dose again and thisis the second time this has happened but last time i noticed half way throught the prescription and brought it to my dr.s attention and we fixed it by takeing it back in and making it right, this time it is almost gone so will deal but i need to change pharmacies as this is like the third mistake they have made, onetime they gave me someone elses. Gee and i was wondering why i wasn't getting much relief and i will be speaking with them again today as i have a script that needs to be filled per shoulder with falling. I tottally can't believe i didn't notice this and the only reason i did is because my son was skating boarding and almost broke his foot and he has some and i was like thats weird they don't look like mine ugh, so i investigated this and was right. I would hate for them to have a lawsuit on giving me something dangerous and i have been nice but not going to be this time! Take care
Melissa

Old 03-07-2008, 01:28 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User

monkey5-I have the exact same thing with the swelling in that SI area and that hip is noticeble larger. It hurts to touch it and I can imagine if someone huged me and was pushing on the area, it would be very painful. I try to explain it to my PM and I tell him that the area swells up with any type of movement and he seems puzzeled. I was glad, though, the last time I went to see him, the area was swelled. All the other times that I explained it, there was no swelling for him to see on that particular day.

Have a nice day all,
Lorie

Old 03-07-2008, 01:58 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

monkey5 HB User

foster, yuppers my arthritis Dr. knows i have this but is i guess trying meds before injections not sure where hes going. I am so tired of talking on the phone till i'm blue in the face to dr.s office that i am going to wait till Monday and deal with it then as i am not getting things done that need to be. Or should i say treatment plans ect. And then i have to deal with seeing the surgeon on the 25th for my hernia they just had to find ugh but at least it might help my stomach issies and they can check for suspected lesions! Take care and try to stay pain free!
Melissa

Old 03-07-2008, 05:08 PM   #15
(male)

camperboy HB User

This is pretty common. BMs usually aggravate back and nerve problems just because of the muscles involved and the posture. It could be something like arthritis... but why not try making the BM process easier first and see if that helps? You can take a natural stool softener (not a laxative!) once a day at bedtime and see if things get moving easier. For me it was definitely related to constipation - I was taking opiates which are notorious for their constipative effect. What pain medicines are you taking? If you're taking any opiate drugs than you probably have some impediment going on in the BM process.

Take Care,
David

Closed Thread