It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 01:13 AM   #1
(female)

edsie1137 HB User
MBT shoes for back problems

Has anyone had any success wearing MBT shoes in helping to aleviate back and hip pain? I know 2 women who swear by them and was looking for some further feedback before making the investment. They cost approx $250.00 and are not particularly attractive, as a matter of fact they're UG. Would appreciate some feedback. Thanks, Edna

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Re: MBT shoes for back problems

When I went into a local shop that carries MBT and asked if they would be suitable for me, the owner told me that I would probably be too unstable walking in them. He wouldn't even let me try them on. I got the impression that there is a fine line between the shoe helping "back pain" and not recommending them if you actually have diagnosed problems with your back.

Any time you wear something that shifts the way you carry your weight, you run a risk of throwing something else out of line, or causing a structural realignment...so I would really proceed with care, if I were you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 12:35 PM   #3
(female)

KieriSG HB User

There's a lot of mechanics involved in walking. The feet, ankles, knees, hips and spine all have to work together properly and if they don't it spells trouble. One of the reasons my lumbar discs are so screwed up is the way I walk. Four foot surgeries have left me with a pretty poor gait and bad balance that's taken it's toll over the years.

The best thing you can do is talk to a PT and make sure you are walking properly and your weight is evenly distributed. Sitting and standing correctly are important too, but all the special shoes and/or orthodics in the world can't compensate for a bad gait. Reteaching yourself to walk might be hard (and a little painful in the short run) but if you don't have any limitations preventing it, rehabbing it could really help.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:53 AM   #4
(female)

edsie1137 HB User

Thanks for your input. I went to the store that sells MBT shoes, yesterday. Fortunately the manager was very ethical and told me she would not consider selling me the shoes until I was 3 months post op. I did try them on and realized what an impact they make on your back and legs. At this time (5 weeks post op) I felt a strain on both my legs and back. Will definely talk to my PT before considering them.

Old 03-13-2008, 08:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I agree with Kieri in that you should ask your physical therapist about it, maybe they might be able to give you more input regarding shoes. Or refer you to someplace that could help.

I personally havent had any success with finding shoes that prevent me from getting any back or leg pains, but do find stores, especially without carpeting to be the worst. And I suppose it also has alot to do with what is causing one's back pain. It might be something that shoes only wouldnt help.

Old 03-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there went down that road too..... before surgery was all set to invest in them. tried them on, felt as if I was walking and balancing on a tennis ball, my husband and 5 year old were in the shop at the time and they couldnt stop laughing at the way I was walking in them. I didnt care if they helped, they could laugh all the wanted. Then the assistant said they had to be really really tight on you, and I couldnt even bend down to full the cord tight, and the were a dead weight. Anyway as I walked up and down the shop trying to get used to them, I get the footing wrong......... and thought oh... what happens with uneven surfaces out walking. So the assistant said they take alot of getting used to before you venture out. Spoke to a physio and she said yes they are good provided your surface you are walking on is too !!!. So did buy them and now after a fusion I certainely wouldnt. When I did put on my shoes after the MBTs I felt really flat footed.

Just my Euro's worth Round 1

Old 03-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

HI ALL,Baybreeze could not help responding to your post when you mentioned the stores with hard floors,I thought I was the only one with this problem ,I not only cant walk I actually had to clear a self and sit down, it seems most stores have either hard tile or cement floors I cant stand or walk in the I can be walking fine 10 minutes in store Iam completely crippled?does that happen to you or any one else needless to say I dont shop much anymore.sorry to butt in conversation but most people look at me like iam crazy when I tell them that but seeing is beleaving. Great Day to all Marywoo

Old 03-15-2008, 01:20 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Mary, yes, this happens to me all the time!!! I was one store with cement floors (and this was right after having an ESI before xmas) and I too, was looking for somewhere to lean and then sit after 5 to 10 minutes. ANd I had on my most comfy shoes, but that did not matter. I went with my dad who is almost 70..he was walking tall at full speed and I had to keep stopping and shuffling around. I did go to the mall the following week, in carpeted stores, and one store I was okay for a while, but had to leave after 1 1/2 hours and I could hardly walk anymore. I tried to go in one dressing room a) b/c I really wanted to try on a pair of pants and b) because I needed to sit. Well, wouldnt you know there was not one stool or seat in any dressing room!!! So I just left. And it took forever to get back to my car. While on the ESI's I did pretty good at work and home b/c I didnt have to be on my feet for any length of time so I didnt feel it much. And now that the ESI's wore off, I'm having a hard time again. It doesnt seem to matter what kind of shoes I wear, it just doesnt help my back at all. Maybe the harder the floor, the less give there is. And since standing alone puts alot of compression on the spine & you combine that with a floor that is rock hard, must cause even more pressure on the spine. I only wish that finding the right shoe would help my back, but no luck with that . Though I am sure for many people the right shoe could be a big help.

Old 03-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Hey all ~

Almost any store in a mall or otherwise has concrete floors, with something on top. Even if it is carpeted, you are still walking on concrete floors, which are really awful for anyone with back issues.

When I first began to be bothered by sciatic pain, I was training to be a docent at a museum that had almost all marble floors. By the end of the year, I was in having ESIs and it went downhill from there.

Unfortunately, you find these floors in almost every new commercial building. Hopefully none of us will have to stand on their floors for any period of time.

I haven't been back to the museum since my fusion. I will be interested to see if I feel any differently.

Old 03-15-2008, 06:18 PM   #10
(male)

camperboy HB User

A much cheaper option is to start using good qualtiy insoles. Dr. Scholls will not cut it. I use the green colored Superfeet in all my shoes and they work great. They are basically rigid plastic lined with dense foam. My doctor recommended them. They cost around $35 but you can swap them in and out of different pairs of shoes. They make a huge difference. You also might want to check the wear on your shoes and consider getting rid of any where you see lots of wear on the back outer edges of your heels - walking on these puts a lot of outward lateral pull on the area around your SI joint. I work in a store that sells a lot of footwear - mostly hiking boots and running shoes. One area where companies skimp to save on cost is on the insoles - they are usually really cheap.

Take Care
David

Last edited by camperboy; 03-15-2008 at 06:20 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:34 AM   #11
(female)

edsie1137 HB User

Thanks for the feedback. I think I will try that. I do need to get rid of some of my shoes, and buy some seriously sensible ones. I'm back to work tomorrow and will see how I do on my feet. Thanks, Edna

Old 03-17-2008, 03:05 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

Marywoo HB User

Hi all,I just wanted to thank you for imput about the hard floors Baybreeze I know you feel my pain, my sister and thats my older sister comes to visit twice a year and all she wants to do is shop,she does not have back problems and really did not understand my pain,her last visit I was in the hospital with back issues of course and she told me Id better show up at the pool which is surrounded by cement,and straight from the hospital I picked up the pizza for her granddaughters my nieces and i really messed myself up.Iam really not the sharpest tool in the shed.well iam now learning to say NO,but its amazing how many people will not have it,in fact if I get rid of all of them,I will surely be alone.but so be it.I will try those insoles seems like they could work but when my epidural wears off I feel I will sink fast.sorry for pity party have a great day. marywoo

Old 03-17-2008, 05:01 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Hi there, just thought it was all in my mind saying I couldnt shop, as I remember posting before about finding the floors so hard to walk on........ still cant walk in shops..... maybe I should stick abit of carpet on the soles of my shoes

What I find a help is having shoes with rubber soles they are softer and there is no pounding as you walk.

Round 1

Closed Thread