It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Little toe

I have lower back pain into outside of right leg..into outside of foot and oh my gosh...into the LITTLE TOE. Does anyone else get this...this sucker needs to stop burning and hurting. I have even thought it might be a good idea to get rid of that toe...(just kidding./.not)...at times. I have been told so many diagnosis..(you all have heard them!)...facet joint arthritis/lateral disc herniation/now...the sacroiliac problem... I do not have a clue what area is causing this...just know that it hurts. Anyone else bothered by this??? What did you do to make it go away...
Leslie

Old 03-18-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User
Re: Little toe

Hi Sage, I had something similar last summer, except mine went down my left leg and foot. I have severe nerve pain from my rear, down the outside of my thigh (it skipped my knee area) and around my ankle. I did not really get pain in my toes, instead they were completely numb for a long time, then I had pins & needles in them. But the pain in my outer ankle area was awful, I felt like someone was using a power nail gun and shooting those nails in there constantly. I could not straighten my leg at all either. I had to walk with my left knee bent to keep the pain less intense. My MRI at that time said:

Broad based disc herniations at L3-L4 and L4-L5; Bulging discs at L2-L3 and
L5-S1; and indentation of thecal sac, bilateral facet hypertrophy, and bilateral foraminal encroachment at all 4 levels. Scar formation around L3 through L5; and aberrant soft tissues in the left lateral recess at L4-L5.

This was my MRI from May '07, 2 months after my bad sciatica started down the left leg. I had a nerve block at L5, which helped my leg and foot symptoms & pain. So it seemed this was where most of my pain was coming from. I can certainly relate to your feeling like you want to cut your toe off, I wanted my whole leg off! When nerve pain is constant it sucks away your sanity!!

Lately, I've been getting nerve pains all over, even places i've never had them before, but they aren't constant, and many times are more dull, except I get terrible shocks in the tops of both feet, which don't last long, but are very painful & shocking. And I also have the pain in the hips/pelvis which has worsened over time.

I did not have a stand up MRI, it was the regular lay down one & this is when the tech got mad at me for moving so much & having to go to the bathroom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2008, 01:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hey Leslie,
You described my pain girl....except it's not just my little toe but the next two also. My injury is L5-S1 so my guess would be that is what is bothering you. I know what you mean, you start to think amputation would be preferable to the pain. Hope you feel better, sorry you are in so much pain. BTW, I haven't found anything that makes it feel better.

Deb

Old 03-18-2008, 01:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks Baybreeze & Deb...
yup..that little toe is such a pain. I do have small lateral herniation at L5/S1...which the neuro. says doesn't cause this problem..ha... The numbness I can take...this little toe...well...it is tiresome.
This is one of the complaints I have given to the Drs...and they all just kind of forget I say things...selective hearing on their parts. Lets just hope the MRI says something.
This time I didn't bring any previous MRI's with me..I wasn't asked to...so I didn't.. BUT, they asked if I had any previous MRI's..yup...several!! I told them one place...and I'm sure they are going to call and get the report. I hate that...why can't they just look and see for themselves. Oh well..a few more days...hopefully...and maybe this time will be different and something will have show it's ugly little head on the MRI...
Thanks for your support...sorry that things seem so similar...hate pain in the toes!!

Have a good night.

Leslie

Old 03-18-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Yep, I have that lovely pain too. Supposedly it is caused by the s1 nerve root. I have a throbbing pain at times and then I also have this pulling sensation It is like someone is pulling/stretching pizza dough.

Leslie, have you ever noticed that when you post, the same three of us respond as having the same issue. Interesting isn't it?

Old 03-19-2008, 05:13 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes...Diet..you and Baybreeze and Deb always seem to reply to my posts..and Lisa too...and if I am being really good..I reply to yours. humm....do we all have the same problem..and are we all at different stages???? It kind of sounds that way...darn it. Wish we all had something better to talk about..it would be soooo nice. Hey it would sure save a lot of typing time if only one of us had to ask a question..!!! Wow...not funny...but for some reason I am amused. Either we are having an injection..MRI or some type of test..and usually one of the others is having the same thing/or had the same test just the day or week before. Hummmmm.....
It is nice to have the understanding of my board friends...but I am so sorry that you all have to go through this also....some days I don't want to be me....and I would not want to share this with anyone.
Thanks for also noticing this Diet..!! In some of my OLD MRI's - the L5/S1 area seems to be the one that is mentioned the most...L3/4 is in the running too...but the neuro. says that what he sees isn't causing my problems...DUH...then what is??? The symptoms seem to come from those areas....Let's see what that new MRI says...hopefully they will call by the end of the week...

Leslie

Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hello ladies,

I would have to agree with the L5/S1 diagnosis. Prior to my surgery the pain went donn the back of my right leg, then skipped the knee and came around the side into my last 2 or 3 toes. They went numb as did my ankle. I didn't notice they were numb until I got a mosquito bite on my ankle and foot in that area and had to scratch. Trying to scratch an itch in an area that is numb is enough to make you nuts. I still had the shooting pain in them too. After my surgery it went away. The sciatic nerve got worse only it went straight down the back of my leg. Then about a year ago the whole leg went numb from knee into the foot. Funny thing is-or isn't, is that my 2 little toes are NOT as numb with this! Crazy! I sure hope we all get our answers and repairs VERY VERY soon.

Love ya,
Lisa

Old 03-19-2008, 05:56 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

shawley HB User

Hiya folks , yep I got that feelin too , mine feels like its burning and being crushed. I get it in all my toes tho not as bad as before my injections tho.

Nice to see ya'll

Old 03-19-2008, 06:19 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hiya Shawley!!!

Actually when my foot went numb, all my toes were numb, not just the little one. The only part of my foot that wasnt numb was the inside arch and inside heel area. But like I said, once i got the transforaminal nerve block at
L5, all my pain went away. Also, by the time I had this done my toes were no longer numb.

Have the rest of you with simliar things going on all had fusions? ( I did not have fusion)

Old 03-19-2008, 10:38 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey Lisa...so sorry that your entire leg went numb...that is amazing that the toes got better...trying to scratch a numb area is not fun. My toes are numb to varying degrees....I am allergic to misquitoes...horrible welts from them...look like massive hives...but sooooo itchy. Tea tree oil cured my itchyness...thank goodness.. Have you heard from the Dr. regarding your MRI??

Shawley...hello...how are you doing???? Yup, hate the burning feeling..that is so nasty...the shooting pains are bad..but the burning is awful.. Glad the injections have helped you out... I am happy that you have been able to move on a bit...and not seeing you posting every day....it is wonderful for you...I hope that you stay as well as possible... Just stop by and say hi every now and then!!!!

Baybreeze...sorry you know what the nasty hurty toe is like. I have not had lumbar surgery.. (had the acdf at L5/6 4 yrs. ago.) The transforaminal epi..worked well for me also..it was one of the few injections that took pain away.. The facet injection, and the sacroiliac injections also took the pain away...so I am confused...the Dr. told me that the steroids spread from the other injections to the sacroiliac injection area..that's why the helped. Okkkkk.. ?????? The pain returned after the numbing stuff wore off...but it was a nice break. Hope you have a good afternoon...thanks for helping me figure things out...

Leslie

Old 03-19-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Leslie,
i get sever nerve pain every day. Sometimes i can handle, sometimes ready to screa. Sometimes it stays longer than other times.
I have mine in both legs from bottocks down to the toes. All toes affected,especially big toe and next to it and sometimes the little one... never know.
I was on Neurontin until I got side effects, now i am on PK but no nerve pain medicine so far. I see my PM and surgeon on March 25th, will see what they have to say.

I feel for you, honey.
Best of luck

Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage, I have read on medical sites that the steroids do spread up and down the epidural space. I know when I get any kind of injections (caudally or transforaminally) my whole spine gets sooooo much less stiff and it even seems to relieve pain I get in my cervical spine. From what i've read, the steroids usually can float around in there for about 2 weeks (which is why many times PM's schedule injections 2 weeks apart). I know when mine are wearing off b/c then I start getting severely stiff again, I seem to get alot of headaches, intermittent nerve pains in various places (plus I usually get very fatigued, sometimes I've gotten hives where my incision was, my other joints hurt, and since the last one, I've gotten soo many cramps & spasms all over the place) My last ESI was end of Jan. so they've long since worn off.

Old 03-19-2008, 04:45 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Moldova...so sorry that you are still suffering from such pain...wish they could find a medication that would help you.. I do understand problems with meds., have had my share of them. The neurontin, when I took it, didn't help too much..just a little...but it made me sooooo stupid that I had to stop taking it for that reason. The cymbalta didn't get a chance to work for me...it made me MAD..and ANGRY...not a good thing.
Baybreeze - oh I do understand about seroids..yup, have had more than my share...actually, I have to take a steroid every single day cause of the adrenal insuffiency...nice. If I miss those pills WOW...it hurts and I get really kind of sick..not a pretty thing. I can't have too many steroid injections because of the adrenal problem... BUT, I do understand how good they can make you feel....and it does make sense that it would travel in your spinal area. I just want to make sure that this sacroiliac problem is really the problem...don't want to be treated (again) for another problem, only to have the original one still.... I am sooooooo tired,,,,like all of the rest of the board members....guess we just worn down by all of this...but it is so nice to be able to come here and "speak"...and not wear out our family and friends...they really don't understand it all...so it is hard for them...I do understand that.. Can you imagine speaking with a normal person...and complaining about toe pain??? They would think you are nuts...probably wondering how bad can toe pain be!! Yeah..it can be pretty bad...especially when it is attached to foot and leg and back pain...seems like that little toe is just an aching wonder...such a pain.. Thanks girl for such support...really appreciate it....have a good night..

Leslie

Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 PM   #14
(female)

laf761 HB User

Moldova....sorry to hear it's been weeks and you have little relief....Glad to hear you are seeing Dr. C again on March 25th..I hope he gives you something for the pain........Were these symptoms you had before your surgery as well??? This was your 3rd surgery right??....

Yesterday was my 6 week post op.....things appear to be fusing and my pain is much better, but still struggling....Sitting is my biggest problem just can't get comfortable.....Have you been able to drive much/ My nerve pain seems to move around, it was in my little toes and now just my butt and upper thigh..

I suppose we really can't expect to ever be 100% right....but a little relief would be nice.

I wish you more relief everyday..I know it's been a long road for you...

LAF

Old 03-20-2008, 06:09 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage, yeah I dont blame you for not wanting to be treated for something you don't have, it's definitely frustrating and draining, too b/c all the treatments or tests or whatever you have done, then was a waste of time.

That's why I love these boards because we can vent away and know that others will understand; and many people can be a huge help on here from their own knowledge & experience. You're right, it's easier on here b/c we can relate and friends & family who've not had any medical problems just cannot relate. THough I found this thing called the spoon theory, have you ever heard of it? It's about someone who has lupus and how she tried to explain it to a friend. But, it really could apply to anyone with any health issues, especially ones people cant really see or understand....like chronic pain, too.

Closed Thread