It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2008, 09:04 AM   #1
(male)

remada64 HB User
I am 7 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion of L4 & L5.

Hi,

I am 7 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion of L4 & L5. I had posterior interbody fusion (bars and screws etc..). It was good to read your post as I have been trying to find out whether my recovery is "normal" whatever that is.

I did not leave hospital until the 4th day after the operation, even walking was difficult. I spent most of the next week in bed except for comfort breaks. Turning over and sitting up was difficult. The physiotherapists gave me some exercises to do, mainly stretching and bridging. My consultant said I should leave it 6 weeks before starting physio properly in order to give it time for the site of the operation to settle down.

Like you I am finding it painful when strolling around the shops. I find I have to keep changing positions, sitting, standing, walking etc..

I've stopped taking the pain killers to see what the level of pain is and although it's not too bad in the short term , more of a discomfort, it can become quite painful in the wrong position.

My physio has not given me much advice, I feel like I could do more but don't want to risk causing any longer term problems. Have you been given much advice?

I've been told I can't drive for 3 months, or lift anything heavy, and that I should not twist, but for how long I don't know.

It would be good to hear how you get on.

Regards

Remada64

Old 03-28-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
(female)

laf761 HB User
Re: 4 months post spinal fusion

Funny remada64..TODAY is 7 weeks 4 days post op for me too......L3-L4 spinal fusion....I have been driving since week 5...it's a bit tough in and out of the car however and you must take it slow....only short, local trips...

AT 1st I had real difficulty sitting but it's getting a bit better every day....I just don't have the stamina...need to nap mid day for 1 hr or so or at least lay down...It's still a bit swolled around the top of my incision and I wonder if that's because my fusion was higher up than most people's????

It's difficult now doing all I want to do each day...but when I lay low I am happier...

Hang in there and hope you are better each day.

Laurinda

Last edited by laf761; 03-28-2008 at 11:43 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
(female)

shiversquan HB User
Smile Re: I am 7 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion of L4 & L5.

Yes your recovery is very normal! I went through the exact same thing. I left the hospital on my 4th day but before I left I had to walk up and down a flight of stairs. When I left I was still in pain and it continued up until the next month and after that the pain was barely noticeable. I had my posterior spinal fusion April 29, 2009. I 'm doing well and have started therapy. The rods WONT move so that should be the least of your concerns. After having the surgery you're very protective about your back and when its completely healed you're already in the habit of being very cautious. I'm still very protective of my back but I don't it on purpose and because of that the lower part of my back is very tense. Now I'm doing exercies to help release all of that tension. I DO NOT recommend doing push-ups, sit ups, or anything else in that category... It will put alot of strain on you and end up hurting you. If you need anything else just let me know. Also DONT sleep on your stomach it will arch your back too much and cause alot of pain!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User
Re: I am 7 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion of L4 & L5.

[COLOR="Navy"]The common rule of thumb is no BLT until you have fusion-whhich you usually see at 6 months. By that time you will have been in therapy and your therapist will have trained you how to pick up things with your new and imporved back. Don't be surprised about a weight restriction. Although you have been fixed, they often put a weight limit on what you can carry. I am fused from T9 to my sacrum and I have a 30 lb. limit for the rest of my life. BUT I can tell at 25 lbs. that my back is not happy. Not driving for three months is common. It's a healing issue. You need to be able to be comfortable sitting before you can drive. And because you were tolld not to twist-that hamper the driving.

You sound like your hnealing is normal. Walking is the best thing that you can do towards healing your back. So walk walk walk! It gets the blood moving aorund the incision and that's good for healing.

Keep your chin up, you're doing great![/COLOR]

Old 04-07-2010, 11:46 AM   #5
(female)

Litza HB User

I would like to wish you a pleasant recovery from this opperation , I have read about it , as am about to go through the opp on the 21st of this monthe april 2010, I am nervous as I have to under go a full knee replacement also, I had a accident at work so am hoping to get back to work I have already been out of work 3 yrs with same accident, so I thought I would check out recovery time for the opp, I know not everyone is the same rate of recovery, but wish you all the best with your recovery. xxx

Old 04-15-2010, 07:17 AM   #6
(female)

SaraS HB User

I had my surgery done March 31, 2010, my 3rd & 4th and 4th and 5th lumbard disk were fused together. I was released on the 1st of April. I've been up and moving around since the surgery. The reason for my surgery was that cyst kept returning because of the arthritis in my lower back. Three surgeries in 7 months! Oh you had the bone graft too! I'm not sure if I had that done but there was a drainage tube coming from my lower back after I had awaken from surgery which I didn't have in the first 2 surgeries. Two weeks as of yesterday and I've been driving since Monday the 12th. I don't if my recovery is so speedy because of the prior two surgeries or that I have a very good neurosurgeon. Good luck on your recovery!

Old 04-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
(female)

SaraS HB User

I have an excellent neurosurgeon. I had my 3rd & 4th and 4th & 5th lumbard disk fused together on the 31st of March. I'm 2 weeks into recovery and I've been up and moving around since the day after the surgery. For the first week I used a walker for support and I wear a brace all the time except when I'm in bed. I've been driving for a few days now. This is my 3rd back surgery in 7 months, I don't know if that is why I'm recovering faster than you or it's the difference in doctors. My doctor is one of the best in the Houston area. I cannot lift anything more than 10 lbs or bendover except to get dressed. I learned from my first 2 surgeries how to dress myself without bending. I will wear my brace for 3 months and I will be returning to work in less than 2 weeks will lots of restrictions.

Old 04-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #8
(male)

sheba1964 HB User
Unhappy Re: I am 7 weeks and 2 days post spinal fusion of L4 & L5.

Hi people,really cool to hear of your experiences.I am from New Zealand,way down beside Australia,boondocks for most of you probably,LOL.
I am 12 weeks from having a Posterior spinal fusion,of L4-L5-S1.I still have a lot of pain & are still taking a lot of medication for this.I cannot bend over,& when I try it feels like the screws are trying to break out of my back tissue.
My surgeon told me after the op,that he had to place the lowest screws down lower into my pelvis & because of this they are shallow & close to the surface,maybe this is why I still feel so much discomfort.
I have to see my surgeon today,with the first post op x-rays.Gee those screws they use are long aren't they,LOL.Nearly come out the other side,very scary.
I have been off work for over two years with these probs & feel like I'm going nuts-all I want is to be able to go back to work.It seems like people seem to think I'm milking the system so to speak,but thats just not true.
Anyone else had probs like these,thanks for sharing,I feel so alone with all this.--Sheba.

Old 04-19-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
(female)

Sister98 HB User

Hello, my little sis (almost 12 yo) had a spinal fusion TILF on her L5-S1, and it's been 3 months. She's doing great so far though I think she could use more walks to get better. For those a few months post surgery, do you feel that your lower back is stiff and heavy? She feels that way especially after lying down and then getting up. At the end of the day her back is hunched over more because of the tiredness from the day. We haven't sent her back to school yet.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:32 AM   #10
(male)

sheba1964 HB User

At 12 weeks post op,I can feel stiffness,yes.Not s much heavy.I saw my surgeon yesterday,& he was not surprised I could feel where the screw heads seem to be,quite tender to touch.
I'm still in a lot of discomfort.
The surgeon looked at some recent x-rays & thinks maybe the bottom right screwhead is holding the ro properly.He wants to wait a month & have more x-rays done.
Good luck & quick healing to you all!!

Closed Thread