It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #1
(male)

Les26 HB User
Ever have a chiropractor work on your shifted pelvis?

I had a D.O. tell me Friday night that my pelvis was shifted, thus causing "pulling" muscle pain in my lower back, buttock and knee. He gave me 4 exercises to do, some muscle relaxers (which are sleeping pills!) and said that a chiropractor probably could help with this. The exercises seem to be helping already. Here's my question-have any of you ever had this worked on by a chiropractor? Did it help and how long did it take? I really don't want to go "long-term" as some of them want you to do, but if they can help in a short while I'd consider it. I know that everyone is different and so are the doctors, but I'd like to hear any expereiences-thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: Ever have a chiropractor work on your shifted pelvis?

yes I have because sometimes I twist funny in my sleep

go as long as you feel like it's helping you
there is no set time frame on how many treatments will help.....it all depends

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-07-2008, 11:57 AM   #3
(male)

Les26 HB User

[QUOTE=rosequartz;3520636]yes I have because sometimes I twist funny in my sleep

go as long as you feel like it's helping you
there is no set time frame on how many treatments will help.....it all depends[/QUOTE]

Thank you Rosequartz. How do they go about "adjusting" it?

Old 04-07-2008, 12:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

by spinal manipulation. you lay on the table on your side and twist a certain way and the chiropractor pushes and it snaps back in
my chiropractor also uses the B.E.S.T. method, you can look it up on a search. I think it stands for bio electrical stimulation technique? I could be wrong. it's kinda like a pressure point thing where he presses certain spots, you breathe in and out slowly and the pain is gone.
there is no snapping with the B.E.S.T. method

Old 04-07-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
(male)

Les26 HB User

[QUOTE=rosequartz;3520650]by spinal manipulation. you lay on the table on your side and twist a certain way and the chiropractor pushes and it snaps back in
my chiropractor also uses the B.E.S.T. method, you can look it up on a search. I think it stands for bio electrical stimulation technique? I could be wrong. it's kinda like a pressure point thing where he presses certain spots, you breathe in and out slowly and the pain is gone.
there is no snapping with the B.E.S.T. method[/QUOTE]

This sounds very similiar to the way that a physical therapist "reset" my Sacroiliac joint about 3 weeks ago. He said that he "had to use a lot of pressure because my back was tight". Funny how this is the same side that the pelvis is shifted on....Thanks for your reply!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:17 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

well when you sleep do you keep your knees together?
I sleep on my side and if my knees are together on top of each other I'm ok.
It's when I stretch out, for example if I'm laying on my right side and I twist a little and stretch my left leg out in front so my inner thigh of my left leg is on the matress, that's how my pelvis gets twisted. Also they sell those pillows that you put between your knees to keep your spine aligned while you sleep.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
(male)

Les26 HB User

I usually sleep on my left side with my knees together. I had a ruptured L5 last Summer and they had told me about sleeping with a pillow between my knees and I couldn't stand it! It probably is from several things that have happened to me in the past few months that caused this "shift". I appreciate your answers. How many times did you have to go before you felt "straight" again if I may ask you? Thanks, Rosequartz!

Old 04-07-2008, 12:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I feel good every time I have an adjustment, but I can mess it up without even trying much if I'm not careful. I usually felt straight after 1 or 2 treatments. I was going regularly about once a month when I had better insurance.

Old 04-07-2008, 12:44 PM   #9
(male)

Les26 HB User

[QUOTE=rosequartz;3520712]I feel good every time I have an adjustment, but I can mess it up without even trying much if I'm not careful. I usually felt straight after 1 or 2 treatments. I was going regularly about once a month when I had better insurance.[/QUOTE]

Yes money is another factor in me going. Did they ever give you any exercises to do? I have been doing the ones that I was given Friday and they do seem to be helping (hip rolling, pelvic raise, pelvic thrust-lay flat on the floor with your knees bent up and push your lower back into the floor). The paper that they are printed on is called "Nismat"-look it up and you can find these exercises; maybe they would help strengthen and straighten you. Good luck to you and thanks!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Gotta be careful with chiropractors. Some of them can do permanent damage to you if you have anything out of the ordinary going on in your back. But since your doctor has cleared you, try to get a recommendation from someone, maybe even your doctor. A lot of chiros are assembly line adjusters, just treating every patient exactly the same. There are a lot of different methods, and what works for one person might not work for another, but some methods are likely to injure anyone.

I used to have one hip "go out," but I guess it was actually my pelvis. I was fused from T4 to L4 at that time, and I had been to several chiros who tried to adjust my fusion. Fortunately for me, I figured out that they didn't understand what they were reading in my chart, it they even read it, and started being very careful about who I went to. Even so, out of the 8 or 9 different ones I went to over the years, only 1 really helped me. He had developed his own method and was teaching it in the chiro school in Philly. He could adjust my neck without twisting it, with his gentle method. And he was able to pop my hip back in place without harming my fused areas. It only took one appt to "fix" me, until things popped out again, sometimes a matter of days, but more often a matter of 2-3 months. He was great for me, and I was sorry when we moved to another state and I lost him. If you're willing to drive an hour or so, he's in Glenside, PA, and his name is Jay Berke. His practice is called Berke Family Chiropractic. If you go to him, allow extra time for your appt. He likes to talk!

Hope you get some relief,
Emily

Last edited by BlueAtlas; 04-07-2008 at 01:09 PM.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:50 PM   #11
(male)

Les26 HB User

Thank you Blue Atlas for your reply and information. The doctor did recommend someone not real far from me; now that I know that it shouldn't be a long drawn-out procedure I'll probably give them a call. If it was something that I had to go more often for I'd probably pick someone near where I work. It's kind of a scary thing to let your health in someone else's hands, isn't it? Thanks again for the reply!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:22 PM   #12
(male)

Les26 HB User

I made the call to the chiro that the doctor recommended and actually got into see him tonight. He was very good; he actually LISTENED to me explain all of the problems that had happened to me (accidents) over the last 13 months, and when he checked me out he explained every move that he made. He determined that it is my tailbone that is the problem-he said the pelvis and tailbone go hand in hand. He made an adjustment on it and while it feels sore it does feel better at the same time; kind of like when you pull a thorn out of your skin it hurts yet but there is relief. I am to see him Wed. and Fri. and he thinks that we can fix this in a reasonable amount of time. I'm glad that I went-thanks for all of your help!

Old 04-07-2008, 07:43 PM   #13
(female)

CaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB UserCaliGirl HB User

I have the exact same problem. Si joint problems and pelvis out of alignment. The muscle that the SI joint is pulling on that is creating pain in your backside may be the Piriformis muscle. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has helped a lot. She uses a machine called a Pro-adjuster to adjust my spine in the area of the sacrum and also my pelvis. It has helped after 5 treatments and I need a total of 10 to get out of pain. When I previously went to a chiropractor and had manual adjusments I felt like it just caused more pain and I quit. I also have a muscle relaxant called Baclofen which is not terribly effective and tends to put me to sleep. Best of luck to you!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:46 AM   #14
(male)

Les26 HB User

[QUOTE=CaliGirl;3521394]I have the exact same problem. Si joint problems and pelvis out of alignment. The muscle that the SI joint is pulling on that is creating pain in your backside may be the Piriformis muscle. I have been seeing a chiropractor who has helped a lot. She uses a machine called a Pro-adjuster to adjust my spine in the area of the sacrum and also my pelvis. It has helped after 5 treatments and I need a total of 10 to get out of pain. When I previously went to a chiropractor and had manual adjusments I felt like it just caused more pain and I quit. I also have a muscle relaxant called Baclofen which is not terribly effective and tends to put me to sleep. Best of luck to you![/QUOTE]

Thank you and you're right; I've been saying for quite awhile now that it's the Piriformis muscle that is pulling but no one would listen before this guy. It goes from the lower back down under the left buttock and into the top of the back of the thigh. I think that this guy will be able to help; I feel a little sore today which is natural but straighter and somewhat better. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2008, 07:32 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

[QUOTE=Les26;3521838]Thank you and you're right; I've been saying for quite awhile now that it's the Piriformis muscle that is pulling but no one would listen before this guy. It goes from the lower back down under the left buttock and into the top of the back of the thigh. I think that this guy will be able to help; I feel a little sore today which is natural but straighter and somewhat better. Thanks![/QUOTE]

I'm happy you found a good one! I hope he helps. sometimes you are a little sore just from a bone pressing into tissue and even when it's put back in alingment, it takes a little while for the tissue to "spring" back. As far as exercises, I briefly looked up nismat and will research it a little more, thanks! My chiro suggested exercizes similar to the ones you mentioned. I hope you feel better soon!

Closed Thread