It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
(female)

cherish1 HB User
Having an inground pool - water therapy?

The 3 yr. old house we found to rent is wonderful, but also has an amazing ($47,000) inground pool. Not surpringly, the homeowners were unable to sell the home because putting in that much pool is called "overimprovement". lol It does not have a hot tub, unfortunately. Apparently, if I go out at night with hubby, we can turn it to different colors, maybe even a deep blue green for a lagoon feel. lol Maybe I can also use this for color therapy as well. The fact that my children (19 and 15) have no memory of me in a swimsuit notwithstanding, we will see how this goes. lol

Anyway, I thought now would be as good a time as any to check out water therapy for my back. My doc has recommended it, and in fact, it is the only kind of therapy he will allow me to do (he believe PT folks tend to hurt more than help on back patients).

So, what do you recommend? Could I hire someone to come to the house a few times to show me what I need to do and then continue on my own?

Do any of you have your own pool? Or do you go to a center?
3/21/06 - L5-S1 fusion w/o inst.
12/21/05 - Lam/Disc. L5-S1.

Old 05-05-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Having an inground pool - water therapy?

Cherir, you can purchase a lumbar belt. I just purchased one called a aquajogger. It comes with a book that tells you how to use it. What I do is put it on, go into the deep end of my pool. It will keep you up at waist level and walk inside the pool. Start with 10 minutes for 1 x, then slowly add time.

After you have done this for 2 to 3 weeks, you can start jogging in the deep end, doing jumping jacks, moving you legs in different directions, etc. I never made it to swimming last year but just doing this has helped strengthen my back despite all the problems I have had.

If you have any specific questions, ask away or do a search and you will find alot of information.

JUST REMEMBER EASY DOES IT!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB Userozzybug HB User

Cherir-
My hubby has back issues from a fall off of a 3 story building, and I have knee and back issues.

Last summer, we had an in-groung pool installed and I have to tell you that doing PT in the pool is so, SO good for both of us. I'd been through PT many times before for my issues, and part of that was doing excercises in the pool at the PT center. It helped tremendously and most of the time, without the really bad "Post PT" pain flare.

Doing PT/excercise in water provides a low impact, even resistance over the entire body structure. It works all parts of your body evenly, and allows you to actually relax some while you exercise.

Enjoy your pool, and the neat colors!!!!

Last edited by ozzybug; 05-05-2008 at 10:54 AM.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

I do have my own pool and I just do gentle exercises, water walking or water running in place. It's a great way to feel lighter and exercise feeling less stress on the body. You can buy gear that helps you in the pool (weighs you down a little so you have some resistance.

Closed Thread