It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2008, 12:03 PM   #1
(female)

Lynne720 HB User
Checking in. Things have not been good.

Its been a while since I've posted. I hope all of you are feeling better these days. Things have not been good for a while. My boyfriend has gotten significantly worse. He is 8 months post-op hardware removal and now he can't stand up straight. The neuropathy in his feet and parts of his legs and butt continue to get worse and even his fingers now. He had neck surgery 3 years ago but the pain is back. His pain meds aren't doing their job anymore. He saw another spine surgeon yesterday and they ordered MRIs of his lower back and neck so we are hoping the surgeon will see something that is causing the pain and be able to fix it because my boyfriend can't live this way. His rhuemy is starting him on Enbrel this week so maybe that will give him some relief. I could never imagine this would be our lives today. Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers.

Thanks,
Lynne

Old 05-13-2008, 12:10 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Checking in. Things have not been good.

Lynne, I am sorry and know it is very discouraging. It looks like I may be going for new surgery - 5th one since the start of this journey. I had my hardware removed too and it appears that my fusion broke apart. Is this what has happened to him?

My heart goes out to you because chronic back problems is hard emotionally not only for the patient but the family too. Thank you for updating us and I will continue to pray for him.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Pepper, how long after the hardware was removed did the doctors find that your fusion broke? My bf had an MRI with and without contrast at the end of January and everything looked great and his fusion is supposedly solid. We won't know anything until he goes for the MRIs through this new surgeon. What kind of pain and symptoms are you having?

Thanks,
Lynne

Old 05-13-2008, 01:08 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Moldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB UserMoldova HB User

Lynne,
I was wondering short time ago how come you don't post anymore.
I am so sorry what you are going through, this is just such a shame... He went through this surgery thinking hardware is the problem, obviously wasn't. Same here...

Please, let me know what test are showing and what do they plan to do for him. Did you take him for another opinions? You never consider to take him for consultation to HSS?

All the best to you, guys, and please keep us posted...

Old 05-13-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
(female)

Lynne720 HB User

Moldova, we considered taking him to HSS but Camissa's office blew us off. My bf went to a surgeon at Mt. Sinai yesterday. Hopefully we'll have some concrete answers after all the tests are done (which they are in the process of scheduling now).

Lynne

Old 05-13-2008, 01:55 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

Lynne,

Often thought about you, and your support that you have given your boyfriend, I am sorry things arent different for you, I admire your love and support it is very hard on you, as that is the way I feel for my husband saddled with me. I hope that you get to the bottom of the pain and something can be done. It is like an ever ending journey.
Take care
Round1

Old 05-13-2008, 02:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Lynne, I'm so sorry things haven't improved for your boyfriend. I hope the new tests give a clear diagnosis that will explain the pain. Please let us know how it turns out.

How are YOU doing? Are you getting time with friends and others who can give you support as you support your boyfriend? Are you taking care of yourself?

I hope things turn around for him soon!

Blessings,
Emily

Old 05-13-2008, 02:43 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=Lynne720;3567365]Pepper, how long after the hardware was removed did the doctors find that your fusion broke?
[COLOR="Red"]I had my fusion 2/07. Last November they removed 1/2 of the hardware, added bmp to fusion and did extensive nerve work. Since surgery I have continued to be in chronic pain. [/COLOR]

My bf had an MRI with and without contrast at the end of January and everything looked great and his fusion is supposedly solid.

[COLOR="red"]I was told that I needed a mylegram because the MRI will not show fusion. Yesterday I had my mylegram with CT scans. Unfortunately I have to wait until 5/23 to get the results. The new surgeon is out of town.[/COLOR]

We won't know anything until he goes for the MRIs through this new surgeon. What kind of pain and symptoms are you having?

[COLOR="red"]I continue to have SEVERE back pain, I am falling, can't walk without a cane, unable to do much of anything due to high levels of pain, pain down the legs, burning inside of thigh, top of thigh, pain in upper back, pain down arms, etc. When I walk, I am leaning to the left. According to the new surgeon, my entire spine is going to the left. He believes my fusion has collapsed because of hardware removal or I am not fusing because one side has hardware and the other side doesnt so it is receiving alot of pressure from both sides.

I am sorry your boyfriend is going thru this. We have had alot of similiarities.

.[/COLOR]

Thanks,
Lynne[/QUOTE]

Closed Thread