It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Got my surgery date..

I got the date for my surgery..it is June 26... Then I received the approval for the surgery from my insurance company... Then I had the nuclear stress test last week...and today the cardio. Dr. says my heart is wonderful!!! (nice -that is good!!).. They are notifing the spinal Dr. that I am good to go for the surgery. I have appts. with the spinal Dr. 2 days before surgery..for physical..pt person to learn how to not put weight on right leg...and then the usual test prior to surgery on the same day.
All of the above is making me scared. I am getting more and more afraid...but know that I won't get better without this surgery...so I will just put the fear aside - hopefully!
back and leg are aching up a storm...the sacroiliac injection has worn off totally...every day the pain is coming back more and more... I actually had to do something I have never done before...I took 5 pills in one day..only supposed to take 4... It just happened because of the early early time I took the first one yesterday...like at 12:30 a.m....which threw the entire schedule off...oh well, I guess there are worse things in life.
Gonna go and lay in my recliner!! I am so tired...not sleeping very well...up several times a night...I am disguested with my reg. & PM drs...you would think they would let me have a few ambien...just so I can be rested. Nope...they don't like meds....can you believe it??? Almost ready to call the surgeon and explain to him that I need a little help in the sleep department...and let him take over the pain pills until after the surgery...oh well...
Hope you all have a good night...take care...

Leslie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User
Re: Got my surgery date..

Leslie, the surgery date will be here before you know it and it is such a relief to wake up and know it is done. Yes, it hurt but for me the worst part is waiting and the drive to the hospital. I fully understand now why my dogs dig their paws in to avoid going to the vet. I always have that surprised feeling when I wake up in recovery and realize it is over! yea! Good luck

Old 05-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Leslie I just wanted to let you know that I am glad everything came out okay on your heart tests and you will soon be on the road to recovery for your back. I know it is hard to wait but time really does past quick. I will keep you in my prayers from here on out.

Take care and try and get some sleep tonight.

Linda

Old 05-19-2008, 10:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Justoneofus HB User

Hi Leslie. I didnt know you decided on the surgery. Good for you! You should copy and keep your main post here and read it back to yourself about 4 months post op. You will be thrilled you had the surgery.

The amount of pain you are in right now.. the surgery pain/recovery is not as bad. There may be a few rough patches and you may not be quite as mobile when you get at the 2 week "surgery pain set-in". But Im tellin you.. you will be amazed at just how gone your current pain is and you are more dealing with surgery healing pains. I preferred the surgery healing pain to that agonizing pain I had for over 3.5 years before.

So, just relax and welcome it and don't overthink anything at this point. I think you are going to be shocked at how great you will feel post-op.

congrats!

L5/S1 bulging @ 18, now 46; still there (but no pain)
Fusion at L4/L5 Apr -2006
Solidly Fused Nov-2006
A Success, but still improving!

Old 05-20-2008, 05:28 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Leslie, at least most of your testing is done except for those last minute tests they need to run and you can concentrate on preparing meals ahead and stocking the pantry. I have done this with each of my surgeries and it has helped alot.

Do you have someone coming to help out the first couple of weeks? I have been blessed because each time my Mom has come and stayed with us for 6 weeks. She takes over the entire house which is what I need or I would be trying to do the laundry, etc.

Anywho, we are here for you and I have already starting praying for you and your surgeon. Remember we are here for you 24/7.

Old 05-20-2008, 01:29 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Frosty6 HB User

Hi Leslie,

Wow what wonderful news about your heart! Yaaaay. That is a huge relief. I'm glad to see you have a date set. The biggest fear will probably be the night before but you know that is normal. You are on your way to the road to recovery. I'd do a little dance for you if I could. Call the doc, he will probably give you something to sleep. I don't have near the trouble I did now that I take flexeril 3 times a day. I still require alot of sleep to feel normal though. Too much sleep = much more back pain. Catch 22 if you ask me ha ha.

You have older grand children don't you? Around 12 or so? Perhaps they can spend a good portion of their summer break with you to help you out. Wild horses couldn't keep my daughter from helping their grandparents. My step father was recently hospitalized and my daughter had school when he had tests run. She said that if there was anything really wrong with him she didn't care if she had to walk from her school to the hospital because nothing was keeping her from him. So sweet. He's been in the family for a long long time so he is not just papa, he is PAPA. (pronounced pawpaw). From all I have heard on these boards, I think your granddaughter is much like my daughter.

Anything I can do, you WILL let me know yes? My heart and prayers are with you my friend. I start work June 9th but I will at least be able to visit you in the hospital if you are up for it and of course I can help out on weekends.

Love,
Lisa

Old 05-20-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
(female)

jan7545 HB User
Exclamation Re: Got my surgery date..

Hi, Leslie -

I'm new to this board but had to respond - I'm 5 days post op (had a two level decompression) and can really relate to your anxiety. I was anxious too and even mentioned it to the anesthesiologist - he gave me a "pre flight cocktail" which really took the edge off - Don't be afraid to let the drs know how you're feeling. I'm trying to follow my walking plan now but the nerves are pretty inflamed from all the movement so I can't walk far - dr's office tells me this is likely temporary - time will tell but as with you, I had to do something. Living with the stabbing pain shooting down both legs just wasn't an option. I'm struggling with how much I should be doing - what's too much and what's not enough? I know it's different for everyone. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery - take those pain meds!

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM   #8
(female)

FHL HB User

Leslie,
I am glad that you tests have been okay. Before you know it June 26 will be here and you will be on the road to recovery. You will be sore for a little bit, but after it all said and done it will be well worth it.
Have you checked with your dr about taking OTC sleep pills? That might help you some, but when you are in pain nothing will help. That is how I am
mostly these days- nothing seems to help the back. I have already had a few sugeries on my back. I go in on July 2 for another back surgery. I am hoping and praying after this one - I won't have to ever do that again.
Take care of youself and try not to worry too much (easier said than done).
Will be praying for you.

FHL

Old 05-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Hey Leslie,
Good news about your heart! Whew....you needed that good news! I hope your surgery date gets here quickly and then you can just concentrate on healing. The WAITING is the absolute pits! Worse than the actual surgery! I'm thinking of you my friend.

Deb

Old 05-21-2008, 12:05 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Hi Sage! I just wanted to wish you good luck with your surgery and recovery. I remember how nervous I was before my fusion so I know how that feels but I think that being nervous is normal. I can't believe your doctor won't give you any ambien. I would think that they would want you to be well rested before the surgery. Unisom makes a pretty decent over the counter sleep aid. Doxalamine succinate. I got some before I was given a script for ambien, and I at least got a couple of extra hours with that. Maybe it would help you. Take Care and again Best of Luck with surgery and recovery. Dee

Old 05-21-2008, 08:32 PM   #11
(male)

deviphish HB User

LESLIE , It's Billy a k a : (devipish).. I'm sure you made the correct choice on having this surgery done , If you came this far you are positive and strong woman.. Take a deep breath and X-Hale , knowing that you are making good strides to get your life back.. You have almost a month left to the big day , I had surgery back in Feb.08 :2 level fusion , with rods and 6 screws: So i remember whare your at mentally , you want to no "am I making the right choice" , how long recovery will be etc.... Every body is diff. Your doing thE right thing - just take each day as it comes and before you expect it JUNE 26th will be here..

I took my T.V out of my room - so i would fall asleep faster , BUY A PAIR OF SILK PAJAMAS !!! BEleave me I'm a 31 year old union carpenter , you think that i wanted to wear these (LOL).. But they work like a charm , They will help you get in & out of bed easier.. I WISH YOU LOTS OF LUCK , BUT I'M SURE WE WILL CHATTING BEFORE YOUR SURGERY , THERE ARE GREAT PEOPLE ON HERE SO JUST ASK ANYTHING THAT YOU WILL... GOD BLESS BILLY BOY

Last edited by deviphish; 05-21-2008 at 08:35 PM.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:39 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

fishinarkansas HB User
Thumbs up Re: Got my surgery date..

Leslie, that is wonderful news about your heart! I will pray for you and your upcoming surgery. I will find out later this summer if I will have a spinal fusion or not. I pray that you will have plenty of pain relief before, during, and after the surgery. Please take care and keep us updated! Sincerely, Tam

Old 05-22-2008, 03:50 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi Sage, it's great news that all your testing came out well and you're good to go for surgery. I know it's sooo nerve-racking thinking about the surgery, but try to think positive thoughts. Before my surgery, my nervousness went away and I just could not wait to have it done & get it over with. I was in so much pain and just wanted it over with or at least have lessened pain. I just began thinking that surgery would be a blessing and, I don't know how, but the thoughts of the surgical risks just left my mind...and all I could think about was having some pain relief afterward. It just seems like things may be falling into place for you at this time. All that pain, and suddenly you find this doctor who specializes in SI and thinks he can help you; then you find out he IS in your insurance plan; and now you have the surgery all set up...try to think of all this together as a blessing come upon you. And of course I will also pray that this surgery WILL be your pain relief!!! It seems like it will be very tough right after the surgery, but you also are a strong person and you will get through it. And all of us will be here to help you in any way we can!

Old 05-23-2008, 04:10 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User

I keep coming to my posting and seeing all of your replies...I am just speechless...I want to print out your replies and answer each of your individually...but today I just don't have that much energy!! I can't believe the support you have all given me...amazing.. Thank you Thank you.
Yes, it is wonderful to finally have a Dr. who understands what has happened and where the pain is coming from..truely a miracle..and to actually have a date in time where the surgery will take the back pain away (or most of it!!!) is again wonderful...It's just getting over my nerves and getting to that date!! My main worry is after, and because, of the strong med. I have been on..will they be able to control the pain after...that is my biggest worry. I know that immediately after the surgery, I will have an epidural anesethia...and that is good...BUT after the first 3 days..well, that is the part that scares me.
I take all of your suggestions and ideas for after the surgery to heart...told my husband I am going to get lg. plastic bag for car to I can get in and out easily!! Sliding sounds good!!!! And silky nightwear!! okkkkkkkk Reading all of the little tips...want the time after to be as easy as possible. Had an ACDF 4 1/4 yrs. ago, and know that the next surgery will be much different...just from reading what has been written on these boards.
I thank you my friends for all of yours support...I know that the next month will go by very quickly...and I am the one who asked for the surgery to be put off for an extra month so that we can go and see daugther and her family and up to MA to see mother in law...important because we won't be doing that any time soon after surgery...
I thank you again all of my friends for your help...will try to get back later for individual replies..!! Didn't expect so many!!! Thanks again

Leslie

Old 05-23-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Sage, sitting on the garbage bags really does wonders!! OMG, it helps soo much. Just be careful if it's windy outside, you might want to keep more than one bag in your car. I've had mine blow away before. But to me, the bags help you to turn and slide right out of the car the best. Or even if you end up having to lay down in the back seat, lay on some bags.

Closed Thread