It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #1
(female)

speciality HB User
Life revolves around pain and my back

I am so very tired of this. Everything I do/more like do not do revolves around pain and my back issues. I just showered and had to stand for 5 minutes to get one leg of my jammy pants on. UGH Now, I need to go out and take the trash out, to prepare for t hat I just took 2 percocet. Sorry to whine, but I live alone, and have no help. It is just very hard.
If it were not for my dog, I dont think I would bother. She is my faithful companion, but she does not get walks, or the fun that she used to, as I am in pain. Thank goodness sdhe is older now and sleeps alot. I have to take her to the vet, and am wondering how I will drive/sit in the waiting room ,ect. I know all of you are in pain as well, and I just thought you would understand. I dont mean to be negative, and I am grateful for the things I do have, but sometimes I get down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2008, 11:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

lfoster21 HB User
Wink Re: Life revolves around pain and my back

Hello, I am sorry for what you are dealing with. I completely understand, esspecially the extra bonus of living alone.

1st, I'd highly recommend reading the first sticky post, about post op living. It is a long thread, but it is filled with suggestions everyone has had, as to how they live their daily life and get the chores done, etc.

Then, I had to get use to my apt. not being as clean as I use to keep it. That was one of my biggest problems, as I was such a perfectionist. I then found that my county's social service dept. has services for the elderly and disabled. I have a person that comes in to do my laundry, vacuume, mop the floors and take out my trash. I have also taken people from the church up, on comming in and helping me. You can also pay college kids to come in and do some of the light house keeping or pay kids in the area, to come by & and take out your trash.

Also the county's program, has volunteers that can come out and do erands for you, such as grocery shopping and going to the post office etc. So, check with your state or county's social services for the elderly/disabled.

I keep dry foods that I eat on a regular basis, on the counter tops (even though my counters look cluttered). But knowing that if I try to lean into a cupboard or bend down to a shelf...I will be in pain for the rest of the day. So, I put as much as possible at chest level.

When you are at a store and have to stand in line at a cashier, if you go to customer service and let them know that physically you can not stand in line, they will ring you up there, so just ask and don't be ashamed. Most people have been very happy to accomodate me, as soon as I tell them about my back surgery.

If you have any specific chores that you have a hard time with, let me know and I will let you know if I have found any thing to help with it.

Good luck and feel free to come back to the board to ask questions or even just to vent. Life is hard enought to deal with, when there is no pain involved. No one here, will think you are whinning because you are in pain and want to get it off your chest.

Lorie

Last edited by lfoster21; 05-19-2008 at 11:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 12:02 AM   #3
(female)

speciality HB User
Re: Life revolves around pain and my back

Hi Lori, That was very helpful!! I will call my county tomorrow! Thank you, my floors really need a good vacuum!!! lol. Thank you som much for the ideas.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Round1 HB User

I can relate to your post. Life revolves around pain and my back...........
Yes it does..totally, Every outing, every day, can I do it today? if I can't who is available..... I can bring my son to school in the morning, but come lunchtime I cant sit in a car for 30min to get a parking space outside the school, and I cant stand for long either........ so I someone collect each day, either my husband, my father or my aunt. Somedays he goes to a friends house like today..... which leads to life revolves around my back. Here I am typing away as I have been lying down for an hour..... thats fine.. I am sore, but I cant go and lye down as he will be in shortly I think. But the friends mum left the time open as in it will be 4 or 4.30 sh........... which also could be 5 O'Clock..... She isnt in pain so doesnt really know that timing for me is everything I need to know............plan my up time and lying down time so i will be okay when he arrives and not be sick with the pain and try and do homework.

I am sick of not knowing if I can do something
Having to lye down due to pain
Not able to travel.
Talking about my back to people that dont understand
Not been able to walk.

I can only imagine the frustration you are dealing with when you cant do something, You are a very very strong person dealing with this on your own
and yes some tasks are just not possibly to do when you have a bad back or in pain. Dont be afraid to ask for help. I have learned if you dont ask you dont get........ No-one would mind lifting something for you, or dropping something off for you. Please do seek the help that Ifoster gave you.
Especially coming into summer now alot of college students will have time and want to earn some money. Maybe put an add on some shop noticeboard. Homehelp required (3-4 hours or whatever).

Round1

Old 05-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #5
(female)

lisa3451 HB User

You might want to check with some nearby churches, call and ask for help!!! I know this maybe humbling to your pride but it could do wonders for you recovery. Churches offer wonderful outreach programs and want to help. Your religous affiliation or lack of does not matter. Is there a nearby private school or community college? call, they usually have programs for their teenage/college students that require them to do so many hours of community/outreach help. when you get back to yourself you can pay it forward, for now its your turn for the help!
Blessings
Lisa

Closed Thread