It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2008, 05:26 AM   #1
(male)

breezerhead HB User
L4/L5 Injury: Pain, Treatment & Results

Hi, I'm 42 yr old male diagnosed with rupture and bulge between L4 and L5. Some amount of arthritis is present in the area as well. Iíve read many of your posts and see that pain manifest differently for each person for similar injury. Iím curious to know what type (description) of pain you have experienced, treatment and results? Iím early in my treatment process and would like to validate and manage my treatment with consideration of the facts from others.

1. Initial visit to Dr produced X-Ray followed by MRI. Narcotic pain (Percocet), anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxer prescribed.

2. Muscle relaxer and anti-inflammatory were discontinued on second visit because they were not producing positive results

3. epidural steroid on third meeting

4. Follow-up to epidural Ė no change in pain. .

5. Dr decides to do another epidural (going in from the side to better reach front epidural space. During this procedure, the Dr hit the nerve and strong shocks, extreme pain were felt

6. I have the follow-up to second epidural next week. I can say already that it did not help. My pain scale is currently a 7 or 8 without percocet and 3 to 4 with Percocet. However, Iíve been cutting back on the narcotic. Side effects from narcotic is short temper and irritability.

7. my pain description: Feels like a very strong person or vise is squeezing my lower spine. The pain is constant, chronic and always occupies my mind. Quality of life is impaired.

Please post your type of pain, treatment and resultsÖ recommendations and insights are appreciated!

Thanks,
Chris

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-11-2008, 09:00 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User
Re: L4/L5 Injury: Pain, Treatment & Results

What kind of doctor are you seeing? Was the injection done with fluroscopy? Judging that he hit a nerve, I guess the answer to that is "NO."

Do you have any associated pain down your butt or leg??

Old 07-11-2008, 04:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, I'm sorry you're in so much pain...but we can all definitely relate. I have had pain that felt like a super tight vice grip was around my entire lumbar & sacral spine - however, I had severe central canal stenosis. It was caused by bony overgrowth, ligament thickening & buckling into the canal....but I also had a few disc herniations and one tear. Do you know if your disc is actually herniated into the canal?

The central canal stenosis caused me neurogenic claudication (which is terrible cramp like pains down your legs & in your rear end), and it severely limited my walking ability. My disc problems caused me sciatica, which felt sharp, shooting, shocking - like an electric current. I had a series of 3 epidurals....they DID help my sciatic nerve pain, but did absolutely nothing for my stenosis pains & cramping. Painkillers did not help me either. Actually I had some severe sciatica 6 months After surgery....and painkillers didn't touch that pain either; the only thing that helped me with this was a nerve block.

I think I know, also, when one of my discs rips or ruptures; I suddenly feel like someone stuck a hot knife into my spine in a particular area; and I feel like that area is burning, like someone has a flame to it inside.

Do you have any numbness or weakness in any of your legs at all? Or do you get crampy pains in your legs while walking? I ask because...that vice grip feeling, at least in my case, was due to severe constriction of my spinal canal and blood vessels in that area. I am just wondering if you have more than a bulge......or anything else going on in that area. Of course, like you mentioned, just b/c one person feels something one way, it doesnt mean everyone else will feel the same thing.

Do you have a copy of your MRI report?

Old 07-12-2008, 11:32 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

[QUOTE=breezerhead;3642891

5. Dr decides to do another epidural (going in from the side to better reach front epidural space. During this procedure, the Dr hit the nerve and strong shocks, extreme pain were felt

[/QUOTE]

Chris my heart goes out to you. This happened to me in September 2007 and I have not been the same. I had alot of problems to begin with but this was the turning point for me and I went on narcotics 24/7 then and have not been off of them since. I have been told that it takes a very long time for the nerve to heal. What have they told you?

Closed Thread