It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #16
(female)

thedeg HB User
Re: pain in butt and down the back of both legs, can't walk

how knowledgeable you are!! Thank you so much..I will take your advice, thedeg

Old 08-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #17
(female)

SueK888 HB User

[QUOTE=thedeg;3689193]how knowledgeable you are!! Thank you so much..I will take your advice, thedeg[/QUOTE]
Hi All,

I just recovered from a six week bout of sciatic nerve problems myself. Don't know what triggered it but could not walk on one leg and was in extreme (almost excruciating pain at times). Tried a number of remedies including motrin, tylenol arthritis otc stuff so I could work, deep tissue massage therapy, bending and stretching exercises, swimming and it just subsided over time. Sometimes you just have to work the muscles out. Chiropractic helps me out a lot too. I have a lot of upper cervical damage and routine adjustments help to keep everything moving freely.

Hope this helps,
Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #18
(female)

thedeg HB User

[QUOTE=SueK888;3690299]Hi All,

I just recovered from a six week bout of sciatic nerve problems myself. Don't know what triggered it but could not walk on one leg and was in extreme (almost excruciating pain at times). Tried a number of remedies including motrin, tylenol arthritis otc stuff so I could work, deep tissue massage therapy, bending and stretching exercises, swimming and it just subsided over time. Sometimes you just have to work the muscles out. Chiropractic helps me out a lot too. I have a lot of upper cervical damage and routine adjustments help to keep everything moving freely.

Hope this helps,
Sue[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Sue..yes, I am going through all that you have gone through..I will forward this on to my daughter as she has a lot of cervical pain and is now having physical therapy..I think a chiropractor is what we both need...thedeg

Old 08-16-2008, 12:49 PM   #19
(female)

SueK888 HB User

[QUOTE=thedeg;3691516]Thanks, Sue..yes, I am going through all that you have gone through..I will forward this on to my daughter as she has a lot of cervical pain and is now having physical therapy..I think a chiropractor is what we both need...thedeg[/QUOTE]
Chiropractors help a lot, but I also do a lot of swimming because it is about the only non-weight bearing exercise you can do to exercise your muscles. My daughter just reminded me about putting a pillow between your knees when you sleep on your side and/or under your knees when you're sleeping on your back. I was feeling awful awhile ago and tried it again and now I feel a little bit better.

I hope that you're feeling better too.

Peace

Old 08-16-2008, 03:14 PM   #20
(female)

SueK888 HB User

thedeg and everyone else,

Another thing that I keep wanting to mention for anyone with back pain, or any kind of muscle and tissue pain is something that we all keep forgetting about... and probably the most important remedy to maintain our quality of life, or improve our quality of life (besides exercise that is appropriate for our personal condition) - is to drink plenty of fresh, pure WATER every day.

Other liquids just don't do the same thing, especially liquids which have caffeine, and act as a diuretic - which is exactly the opposite thing from what we want. I once read an article in a newsletter from a holistic health center which said that 34% of all Americans are chronically dehydrated. And the effects of dehydration can be felt in our physical being as well as emotionally. Since the body needs water to create new blood cells, mucus and other bodily fluids - and the spine especially needs water to keep the discs spongy and cushiony - the less water we drink, the more likely we are to have more rapid deterioration in our muscles, ligaments, joints, discs and internal organs in general.

Last summer while suffering from sinusitis, I fell asleep for several hours in my car on a very hot day. When I woke up, the cramping in my whole body was so severe I had to have a friend take me to the emergency room, where I stayed for three days - being pumped full of fluids for severe dehydration. Where did I feel the most intense pain? My neck, my back and the bottoms of my feet where I have muscle deterioration. Also I developed the most intense headache I've ever had.

Lack of water can lead to very serious problems... especially for those of us with back pain, joint pain and muscle pain. Indeed for any health related problem - taking in plenty of water is generally speaking one of the most important elements of any treatment plan. It's also critical for flushing out all of the impurities in our systems every day, especially with all of the medication that so many people must now take.

The article in the newsletter said that as well as the physical breakdown of muscle tissue and organ tissue, becoming dehydrated can lead to a whole host of emotional problems as well, like depression for starters. We can get downright grumpy when we start to dehydrate...

So, drink up everybody. Here's to your health!

Peace,
Sue

Last edited by SueK888; 08-16-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Old 08-16-2008, 05:55 PM   #21
(female)

cissy1964 HB User

[QUOTE=thedeg;3691516]Thanks, Sue..yes, I am going through all that you have gone through..I will forward this on to my daughter as she has a lot of cervical pain and is now having physical therapy..I think a chiropractor is what we both need...thedeg[/QUOTE]

Please consider deep tissue massage of the lower back, glutes, hips and thighs as well!

Old 08-17-2008, 06:47 AM   #22
(female)

thedeg HB User

[QUOTE=SueK888;3691736]Chiropractors help a lot, but I also do a lot of swimming because it is about the only non-weight bearing exercise you can do to exercise your muscles. My daughter just reminded me about putting a pillow between your knees when you sleep on your side and/or under your knees when you're sleeping on your back. I was feeling awful awhile ago and tried it again and now I feel a little bit better.

I hope that you're feeling better too.

Peace[/QUOTE]
Thanks, Sue..yes..i swim daily and always have a pillow under my knees..why don't you have an adjustment on your back as you do your neck? thedeg

Old 08-17-2008, 10:51 AM   #23
(female)

SueK888 HB User

Hi, thedeg -

I do have an adjustment in four places, lower back, mid back, upper back and neck and upper cranials. The chiropractor I just found uses heat and vibration for ten minutes before each session to relax the muscles before he adjusts.

The swimming helps, and every so often a deep tissue massage helps too. But, like so many of us out here I live paycheck to paycheck and sometimes the things I would like to do to keep myself pain free get moved from the column of "necessity" to "luxury".

For me, the issues just keep becoming more degenerative over time as I get older. I know I need to change my current job and find something that will allow me to be relatively pain free most of the time. The question is... what? Can't stand on my feet all day, any kind of heavy lifting is out or any prolonged computer usage... (neck and shoulders) so there's precious little left.

Peace,
Sue

Closed Thread