It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
(female)

debbie363636 HB User
Ankle Pockets Of Fluid?????

I had L5-S1 fusion in January of this year. I have been doing fairly well with the exception of intermittent leg and foot pain. Yesterday my legs and ankles were really bothering me and I noticed that on the outside of both feet below my ankle bone there is what appears to be almost a pocket of fluid about 2 inches in diameter. I would not say my ankles are swollen since it only seems to be in that specific area. Has anyone else experienced this? I'm not sure if I should call my surgeon or my primary care physician.

PS I am not taking any meds at this time that would cause this. Thanks for any input.................Debbie

Last edited by debbie363636; 09-10-2008 at 08:31 AM.

Old 09-10-2008, 06:17 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User
Re: Ankle Pockets Of Fluid?????

Hi Debbie, I have been experiencing this recently and my surgeon said it could be coming from my back but is also a sign of thyroid problems. Come to find out in my case it is a sign of thyroid.

I would definitely give your doctor a call and please keep us posted. I am lifting you up in prayer.

The Following User Says Thank You to ms_west For This Useful Post:
handejune (05-06-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Debbie I have also been experiencing this same thing and like Pepper my rheumatologist said that is often a sign of thyroid problems. I was started on medication last week by my endocrinologist for hyperthyroid (another story) and on Wednesday I actually was able to see my ankle bone again although it still acts up later in the day. I will admit that my swelling is actually in he whole foot, ankle and up to the mid calf but I do definetly have the area below the ankle bone also. I also have the leg and foot pain, too.

I am suppose to call my rheumatologist tomorrow and let him know how I am doing because he started me on a small dose of predisone. Now I am not sure what helped because I started on the Predisone and the thyroid medicine at the same time. You really should call your doctor. I hope you get to feeling better and blessings are being sent your way.

Linda

Old 09-11-2008, 09:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

mznell HB User

Hi Ladies ~

If the swelling is a result of thyroid problems, do you have swelling in both legs, or can it just be one leg? My right leg was the one that had the most sciatic pain prior to surgery, and it is the one that swells.

I thought it was the Lyrica, but I got off that, and still have swelling, but to a lesser degree.

xx MM

Old 09-11-2008, 01:02 PM   #5
(female)

debbie363636 HB User

Thanks for all of the info. I suppose I will have to call my primary doc.
The surgeon feels it is unrelated to my surgery but I am not convinced. Its strange because its only in the area under my outer ankle bones on both legs and they ache like crazy. Its just like a small water baloon under the skin. My feet hurt on the top of them and accross my toes and I know that is from my back since I have had that for a while. I sure have symptoms of thyroid, tiredness mostly but I think everyone could say that. I keep you informed. Thanks...................Debbie

Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

When my rheumatologist saw my legs and feet last week (both) he said it made him think of Thyroid. I have also been having sharp pain on the top of my right foot when I go to get up from a sitting position. I called his office today to talk to him like he told me to but there office was only open 1/2 day and they did not want messages left. They are also only open until 11:00 a.m. tomorrow so I may not hear anything from them this week.

I hope everyone will get to feeling better and also find out what is causing the problem.

Linda

Closed Thread