It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2008, 03:48 PM   #1
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User
Biofreeze for sciatica?

I have had sciatica everyday for 8 months now,4 herniated discs & nerve impingement at S1. DDD and stenosis- Blah blah blah

Have any of you tired Biofreeze, and do you think its helps? Or is the freeze sensation, just a distraction from the pain down my leg, knee to ankle?

I bought some yesterday, and I can't figure it out! Is it helping, or just tingling.

Anyone, please and thank you!

Old 09-26-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
(female)

Pick of the Litter HB User
Re: Biofreeze for sciatica?

I love biofreeze. Just rubbing it on my hip and lower back does seem to aleviate some of the leg and hip pain fo me. Not really sure how its working or if its just distracting me from the pain but I'll take it anyway.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

YOu guys.....Biofreeze is really great and so is SOMBRA. It cools and heats. Man, I ought to buy stock in that company..I buy so much of it. (on second thought maybe not. LOL)

Old 09-27-2008, 09:31 AM   #4
(female)

10sox HB User

Do you rub it on your lower back (where the actual pain is coming from) or down your leg where you pain actually is? Where do you purchase it? I am willing to try anything.

10sox

Old 09-27-2008, 09:37 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Baybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB UserBaybreeze HB User

Hi, If you have nerve compression, then Biofreeze will not help that, maybe an anti-inflammatory might help, but even that is a maybe. Biofreeze is more for muscle aches and pains (and it is very good for that)..the only way to help is to relieve or get rid of what is causing the compression. For some, anti-inflammatories, painkillers, or nerve meds might help. In my own personal experience, i've found that narcotic painkillers do not even help my sciatic pain. But luckily, steroids do help me for a few weeks, anyway. Even though many of these things don't work for me, I have tried just about everything in desperation. Biofreeze does cause somewhat of a distraction and soothing on muscle pains and has helped distract sometimes when I have mild muscle spasms, though. And of course it probably depends on the level of pain one has, and for how long.

No matter what, I do hope that your pain subsides soon! Are you currently seeing a doctor? If so, what are they telling you about your diagnoses?

Old 09-27-2008, 09:54 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SKZ HB User

My experience with those kinds of pain relieving gels is that it really doesnt help referred pain. I have bad hip pain that is referred from my back. It helps my back pain but not the hip. So I really dont think Biofreeze or Sombra will help that. It is really good for muscle pain. Some chiopractors and massage therapists carry the Sombra. I have always ordered it off the internet. Its all over the net. But then one day i was at the health food store and saw some other stuff called "Sore No More". It had the EXACT ingredients as Sombra (and these are some really unique ingredfents). Then i saw in really small letters that is was made my Sombra. It IS Sombra. I personally like it more than Biofreeze because it warms and cools at the same time. But Biofreeze is awesome, too.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:47 AM   #7
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

Thank you all for your replies!
I think the Biofreeze, acts as a distraction only. Which is not entirely a bad thing.....sometimes.
When I have just had it- with my sciatica !

Old 09-29-2008, 05:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

*******, have you ever tried a homeopathic for your sciatica? It won't do any thing for your other problems but it does help with sciatica problems. My mother has many back pain issues and back surgeries, plus she had really bad sciatica, had the lumbar steroid shots for that too, then one day she read an article about a homeopathic remedy for sciatica, it did work on that!
It completely took it away, where no medication for pain did anything.
Each day she would take one dose in the morning before putting anything in her mouth, she put it under her tongue and let it dissolve, if that didn't take the sciatica pain away within two hours then she was to take a second dose, that second one usually worked.
Plus she would take a dose in the evening before bed.

Make sure you follow the directions exactly or the dose won't work.

With in about 2weeks she didn't need the second dose in the mornings. In another 2 weeks she didn't need that night time dose, within 6weeks it was totally gone.

The next year she got it again on the other side, she started right away with the remedy and it was gone within 4weeks. It hasn't come back since and this was 3yrs ago. It does work, be diligent and use it till you don't need to take it anymore.

It's found in most health foods places that sell homeopathy's, and it's labeled for sciatica.
Diana

Old 09-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #9
(female)

Mamasan2007 HB User

DRS, I did take a homeopathic for a while. Unfortunately it did not help me.
It was called Nerve Fix.

Right now, I am trying acupuncture twice weekly, but sciatica is so touchy!
Its a long long road to recovery, if we ever reach it.....
Dealing with nerve pain is so unpredictable, and unfortunately seems to become chronic.
And as we see on these boards, surgery is not always the answer either.

Thank you for your suggestion, though!

Old 09-30-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

I just want to add that homeopathic remedies are very specific. You would of needed to try something that said sciatica on the bottle. Nerve fix I believe would of been for all the nerves, not a specific area.

I hope you get your relief, it's awful to have pain like that. Diana

Old 07-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #11
(female)

holly120 HB User

It wont fix the problem. It seems expensive but can feel nice. Have you tried injections? the tiger balm may be cheaper and I have heard the they have something comparable at walmart that is less expensive.

Closed Thread