It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2008, 08:07 AM   #1
Veteran
(male)

efang HB Userefang HB User
Should I need to take Epidural injection at least three times?

I have had Lumber spine disk hirniation for 3 months . I have had 3 times trigger point and nerve block and did once Epidural in August 18, I felt increased pain for about one week and after one week I feel my pain calmed down to the level before I took Epidural. In other words, Epidural doesnít change the pain. but yesterday when I saw my primary doctor, he said Epidural injection at least need to be taken 3 times then you will know it helps or not help. But my feeling is it didnít help me at first time , I donít think it will help me a lot at second time or third time. I remember when I took the trigger point and nerve block injection, My pain management doctor told me , if you feel it help you, you will feel almost right away, if not ,I can say it doesnít help you, but I still take three times even it doesnít help me.
But Epidural injection is very expensive to me because doing Epidural belongs to outpatient facilityí procedure and I have to pay about $270 per/injection after deducible ( co-pay and coinsurance) So, I like to know I should go to take the second or third injection or try other way.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #2
(female)

Crystal1982 HB User
Re: Should I need to take Epidural injection at least three times?

I have had some doctors tell me that sometimes it "takes a few injections" for you to notice relief and I have had others tell me that if one didn't work then a second won't do any good. The definition of insanity is doing something again and again and expecting a different result. I have also been told that the epidural injections are more effective in treating the radiating nerve pain that is caused by compressed or pinched nerves than the back pain.

Personally, I tried one injection at L4-5 and it didn't do anything for me. My doctor didn't recommend another one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2008, 10:33 PM   #3
(female)

hearts42 HB User

I just had my second injection ESI (caudal block). My pm doctor said that he wanted to really saturate that nerve with steriods to help my pain in my leg and back. The first injection was very painful afterwards. For about four days I was in a lot of pain, then it got better. My leg pain was much better for about 10 days and my back pain never really changed. I had my second injection this week (tuesday). Was not near as painful afterwards but so far did not feel much relief. I also had a rash (kind of looks like a sun burn) on my face, just the cheeks and on both sides of my nose. Made my face feel very very warm. Also, both times, I am very very hot, all over, sweating terribly. This seems to last about a week. I don't think I will be a third.

Lori

Old 01-23-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

I got my second Epidural injection today , my PM doctor reviewed my new MRI and EMG report , he said my disk herniation already has been improvement, but
my leg nerve looks like had some kind of damage and causes pain. he didn’t suggest surgery and let me try Epidural again , he said he will put some medicine to my spine lumber and see what happen, I didn’t get much pain during the injection procedure and also haven’t felt much different yet. I have two question here,

1) Should I stay in the bed for whole day or no need to do that? I asked this question to my doctor but he didn’t give to me a positive answer.
2) Should I need to take the third one if I haven’t got great help or no help at all from
my second one? The problem is it is look like I have no other way can go if I
don’ want to get the surgery. But my doctor said surgery maybe can’ t fix my problem if I have nerve damage. He said I don’t need to concern surgery as long as I have no weakness in my leg.
Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 01-24-2009 at 06:34 AM.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
(female)

DelawareGirl HB User

What whole day test on the bed are you talking about?

Old 01-23-2009, 06:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

gayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB Usergayle428 HB User

I can only speak from my own experience, of course. My first Epidural injection was for a herniated disc at the L4 / L5. It took two to get relief. Next it was my right SI joint, and again it took two to get relief.

Now, I have another herniated disc at L5 / S1. I had the first injection two days ago. Since they helped before, I have hope they will help again.

Not everything works for everybody. For me, the Epidural injections helped.

Old 01-24-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

DelawareGril.
I am really sorry because I made a typing mistake.I mean " stay in the bed"
now I know I don't need to stay in the bed for whole day.
My PM doctor let me try medicine Lyrica also.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
(female)

BOBERS47 HB User

[quote=gayle4102;3860132]i can only speak from my own experience, of course. My first epidural injection was for a herniated disc at the l4 / l5. It took two to get relief. Next it was my right si joint, and again it took two to get relief.

Now, i have another herniated disc at l5 / s1. I had the first injection two days ago. Since they helped before, i have hope they will help again.

Not everything works for everybody. For me, the epidural injections helped.[/quote]

i can only go by what my doc told me. I had two injections. For 3 compressed discs...the l5 being the worst. They said " in a years time, thats all we will give you. Its a steroid and taking more can cause too many side affects. Like, diabetese....etc. " ever see the movie, the temptations. The ((( REMOVED)))) too. My injections helped for a day at best. I'm telling ya, swimming is a cure all for many things like, back. I'm not saying never take meds....i know there are times we have to have them, no matter what...but, bad backs are a life long issue. How much can we load up on with out paying the price?

Last edited by Mod08; 02-01-2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Please do not post about public/famous people. Thank you.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:22 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

I took the Epidural about 10 days ago and haven't felt any different, my doctor
told me to come back to see him in one month, I don't know I should take the second one or not. I think if someone takes two or three to get relief, at least
the first one or second one should lets you feel a little bit different.

thanks!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
(female)

jenius HB User

[QUOTE=Crystal1982;3757214]The definition of insanity is doing something again and again and expecting a different result.[/QUOTE]

Thats realllly funny, thnx for the laugh! Thats my thoughts on the injections also, My doctor wont do it twice if it doesnt go the first time, and it if doesnt last for a certain amt of time.

He says they should "take" instantly.

Ive had them and they work but only for a few days.

Ive heard a lot of doctors that keep doing them over and over and over again and torturing the patients, thats absurd! Thats why I thought your comment was so funny! Thats exactly right!

Old 02-07-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
(female)

jenius HB User

Ohh and it was INSTANT relief when I did get them. They worked right away, definitly.

Just didnt last long at all...

Old 02-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

I saw my PM doctor last Friday, he insisted me to take third Epidural because he said the first one I took in last year August, then the second one I took in January, they were five months between, he believe I need to take at least 2 Epidurals between three weeks then will know it helps or not,. So, I had to take it and see what will happen.

Thanks!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:36 AM   #13
Veteran
(male)

I saw a new Neuro Surgeon last week , it is alreay 10 months passed since I got disk herniation.he suggested me to concern surgery but said I still can try S1 nerve block, I don't know if he checked carefully my medical history, because actually I did 3 time Epidural injections and 3 time trigger point and nerve block injections last year, I wrote these on the patient history form, but I forgot to mention to him when I saw him, but he didn't say anything and just let me do it. I went back to see my first Pain manegement doctor who did three times trigger point and nerve block to me last year, she said I don't need to do nerve block again if Epidural couldn't help becaue Epidural should be more effective than nerve block in this point. I like to know if her opinion is correct ?

Thanks!

Last edited by efang; 03-24-2009 at 08:40 AM.

Old 11-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #14
Veteran
(male)

I saw another neuro- surgeon on Nov 18. he said I am not a surgery candidate because he looked at my MRI and believes right now my disc already decreased itís size and so he think the irritated nerve causes my leg pain. He said he will try to give me injection called " lumbar secant " which is
similar with Epidural. He hopes it can help me.
I will do injection tomorrow, if anyone knew that ?

Closed Thread