It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2008, 07:31 AM   #1
(male)

bigjohn767 HB User
AxiaLIF

My problem is a degenerative disk (L5). I've been told it is a common problem. I am not in pain very often. My problem occurs when I've been standing or walking for a long period (an hour or more.) Then when I go to bend over or twist the wrong way, my back seizes and I'm on the floor in pain. I have to wait a few minutes until the pain subsides and then I can get up but have to be very careful about my movements. There is residual pain for a little while.

Sometimes I can feel great and be going about my life and the suddenly have my back seize. It's a danger because I love to fish and I'm afraid it will seize on the dock or in the boat and then I'll be in the water unable to swim.

I am considering the AxiaLIF procedure of fusion but don't know it if it will help. Has anyone else had this type of problem? Has anyone been through the AxiaLIF procedure and, if so, has it helped?

Thanks so much for any input.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-29-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
(male)

Devon07 HB User
Re: AxiaLIF

I have heard good things about it...never had any back surgery ...yet!...Im scheduled for a alif/plif 360 two level fusion in just a few days...I made my decision to go forward....I want a quality life and wasnt getting it....so with the surgery I have little to lose...but any more there are so many successful stories and doctors I feel confident.

The surgery your looking into has a quicker recovery time I believe.

Good luck! hope it all works out for you,

Devon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-30-2008, 06:03 AM   #3
(male)

bigjohn767 HB User

Thanks for the reply. I am still considering the operation. I hope yours goes well.

John

Old 01-02-2009, 06:37 PM   #4
(male)

Ohdapain HB User

Not trying to get you down but here is what I posted about my AxiaLif surgery.

Hi All, new to forum and I have checked out a lot if the post as it relates to different surgeries and results. Well to make a long story short. Injured back @ work L5-S1 which resulted in a rupture/herniated disc. After taking meds with no luck doctor did a Microdisectomy/Laminectomy (8/2007). No luck there either and after that was done I developed scar tissue to the area which cause even more pain. From there went through a series of nerve blocks, epidural injections all to no avail.

Next after getting no better the last option was the Axialif Fusion with 2 pinnacle screws (7/2008) and like all here, once you have 1 operation you hope for the best and hope there no more that need to be done. Nevertheless, you try to stay in good sprits (kinda HARD). Well Axialif so far has not seemed to do any good, still in the same pain as before and gets worse when it's about the rain or seasonal changes (maybe it's just my body). I have had xray's with every follow-up appointment and the docotor says all looks good and can't understand why I am still in pain.

I also have nerve damage in both legs which runs from my lower back down my legs to my feet (the best of both worlds-lol). He said the actual fusion can take up to 7 months (it's been almost 6 so far) but still can't find the reason for pain. Pain meds. include Hydrocodone, Lyrica, Amtriptyline, Celebex, Soma and Lidoderm patches (all which BARELY do anything with my pain). I am getting a second option from another doctor which just did another CT/Scan and put me on the last 2 meds. listed, so we shall see if he can come up with anything.

Pain Management doctor that did the EMG and Nevre Conduction test now wants to do a Neurostimulator which I am most likely NOT going to do because of all the possible side effects with it being like a pacemaker (WOW). Between a rock and a HARD place (ya think).

Old 01-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #5
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hiya Ohdapain,

I did read about the surgery you had. It is quite different than what I had done. My surgery was done with an incision on my lower abdomen. A vascular surgeon also is involved with the surgery I had done. After the vascular surgeon opens you up, he then moves all arteries, veins ect. out of the way to clear a path for the neurosurgeon to do his work. I had a 2 level fusion done. L4-5 and L5-S1. It involved cages and screws and a plate. I feel very confident that my surgery was a sucess. I am still having pain of course, but its getting better. I have lots of nerve flare up pain that involves my right leg. My neurodoc did prscrib a medication for that and I am feeling relief I also had an epidural injection as well. So, I feel better than I did a few days ago. I felt confident going into surgery for my back issue. I had tried everything there was to try to avoid a fusion. Before I made the final decision to have the fusion, I did have a discogram test done and I would recommend anyone that is trying to decide whether or not to have a fusion to get that test done. It is a painful test but well worth the pain. I found out that my disc was way worst off than the MRI showed. I wish you well in what ever it is you need to have done to have a somewhat pain free life. I donot think most all people that have bad back and necks will ever be 100% pain free....but at least some get a good amount of relief from surgery. I will just be happy to be outside in the spring planting flowers and enjoying spring time

LYNN

Old 02-23-2009, 08:50 AM   #6
(female)

mksdks3 HB User

Could you please give me some details about "after the surgery". What were your restrictions? Much pain from the actual surgery? Much incision pain? Were you able to sit? Any post-surgery information would be very helpful. I am scheduled for surgery the end of April. Thanks!

Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
(male)

itawes HB User

What is a discogram and what can it tell you?

Old 09-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #8
(male)

itawes HB User

[QUOTE=Devon07;3776599]I have heard good things about it...never had any back surgery ...yet!...Im scheduled for a alif/plif 360 two level fusion in just a few days...I made my decision to go forward....I want a quality life and wasnt getting it....so with the surgery I have little to lose...but any more there are so many successful stories and doctors I feel confident.

The surgery your looking into has a quicker recovery time I believe.

Good luck! hope it all works out for you,

Devon[/QUOTE]

How did your surgery go? I am considering an axialif for L5/S1 and L5/L4. Three doctors have recommended 2-level fusion. Not sure if the axialif will work for 2 levels. I have degenerative disk with pain down the right leg and numbing in the foot. Foot is actuall slightly swollen. Had surgery for herniated disk 25 years ago. Want to get back to exercising and workin in the yard.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
(male)

Devon07 HB User

My surgery went well!...Im am very pleased to have had it done ....if you have a 360 count on a year of rehab....its slow and as things start to get better you seem to fall back a week or two and then forward again....The ole two step forward and one back trick!....the pain levels were very tolerable but life will be changed during the healing time.The first couple of months its slow go and getting in and out of bed is tough! I started to do really good after I got off my meds....they helped the pain but kept me down, so I got off them quick and started healing much faster. The actual day of surgery I had some problems and was in ICU for 5 or 6 days if I remember right, but once I got past the laying in bed and eating again it was all down hill.Read all you can on this site as its ALL info you will be glad to have read.The sticky has some great help you ideas....but one of the best ones was the silk sheets for your bed....I also slept in silk basketball shorts to assist in helping me adjust in bed....its a bad nite sleep when you just lay there and not turn because its too difficult....ASK me any questions you are curious about and I will give you my feedback.

Devon07

Old 09-12-2009, 12:02 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Devon07 I am in the need of a 360 fusion. I have grade 1 listhesis with a full blown disc at L3-4. I have already postponed 1 surgery that was supposed to be in August. The only reason I would consider this surgery is due to the fact it effects my legs and feet and hips more than my back. My legs hurt terribly and feel weak and numb. Been also having some bowel and bladder problems for the past 4 months. Nothing too serious like loss of control but still something to think about. Would you do it over again? I've heard the recovery is long and hard and that's what scares me. Hope you are feeling better, Linda

Old 09-13-2009, 07:52 AM   #11
(male)

Devon07 HB User

Linda....Yes!...I would do it again in a heartbeat....do not put it off if you really need it...you can cause problems that cant be fixed....it is a hard surgery but mainly for the first month then it gets easier an so on....you can function with caution at about two months and it gets better and better....I got off my meds quick and the pain was tolerable....I mainly took them so I could sleep....The incision sites were surprisingly easy to deal with and I have no problems with them....I have an 14inch scar on my back low center and an 13 inch on my belly next to my belly button down....one thing that is hard is turning while in bed the first month....I needed help....you can do it just fine when you roll like a log but when you need to shift your hip or whatever its hard.....my wife used a pull sheet that I slept on and when I needed help she would pull it where I needed it pulled....

The worst of it all was when I was to get out of bed for the first time at the hospital....I was in ICU because of problem and was very weak....they insisted that I walk or at least try....I sat up and put my legs at the floorstood up and stayed stood up for maybe 3 minutes....I was mad for all of an hour when I realized my body was trying to get to normal once I stood....its very important....the second time I walked with walker and help up the hall.....felt like a marathon!.....after eating normal food and was in a normal room I soon went home.

Even with my complications I would do it again.....I would reccomend you give blood for your own use in the event its needed....you need to do it at least two weeks away from surgery or more.....I opted not to and needed a transfusion.....I was fully aware of the possibility and the odds were in my favor so I didnt....I ended up needing 11pts of blood so they would have used all mine up anyway.....I would also find the best surgeon you can.....in surgey I had the (Ortho x1),(Neuro x1), (Vascular surg. x2) (Anesth.x2), and all the nurses and help....11 total! I was very nevous...when I woke I thought this wasnt to bad....and never looked back.

I dont want to scare you but I will tell you "just" how it is....please ask all you can ....it helps take away the wonder.

Devon

Last edited by Devon07; 09-13-2009 at 07:56 AM.

Old 09-13-2009, 09:16 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Linda_in_NJ HB User

Thanks for the reply devon. That's a huge blood loss. Why is there so much blood loss with procedure? I'm glad you didn't regret having it done. Your post made me feel better about the surgery. The size and location of the incisions don't bother me, just the weakness afterwards. I'm not used to sitting home and doing nothing. I hated this last year off. But I can't much of anything anyway. I will make up my mind soon. Thanks again and continue to do well.

Old 09-14-2009, 08:37 AM   #13
(male)

Devon07 HB User

The blood loss was due to the fact of the procedure being done so close to a major artery....I was explained the risk of this happening...it is not very common but is a possibility.....they hit the artery durng the procedure and it was a mess.....I only had two worries and that was one the other was the possibility of not being able to have any more kids....so I was good with the odds and risks....I came up a bit short on the artery ......I wouldnt worry about being weak.....you have a good drive if thats how you are.....I dealt with it just fine.....and I never sat still in my life...kinda wierd! you will find ways to deal with it.....what do you do for work? If you dont have quality of life then get it done and a year goes by fast!

Good luck and I wish you the best.

Devon

Last edited by Devon07; 09-14-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Old 09-14-2009, 09:48 AM   #14
(male)

itawes HB User

I thought the axialif was only about a one inch incision? Sounds like you had a normal fusion. Also, the healing and pain levels are higher than what has been described my surgeon.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:18 PM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

John:
Have you had a consultation with an orthopedic spine surgeon? What options has he given you for procedures?

Closed Thread