It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 06:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sage48 HB UserSage48 HB User
Faith1234 & SI joint surgery

Hello Faith....I haven't been on the puter as much lately...have been running and running...my Mom was with me until last Fri...she finally recovered enough to return to her own home!!!
I will try to answer your questions...I posted on 8/11 some stuff...but here goes!
My surgeon operated from the back also...the incision runs from your "crack" and follows up the sacrum...about 4 or 5 inches...at least. Do not let anyone place or make you lay on your surgery side...that was a message from my own Dr...it will create more pain and issues...I had to fight several nurses on this one...even one nurse who said...we will see about that...and asked my surgeon! Ha,,,he let her know!!!
I was gotten out of bed about 1 1/2 to 2 days after surgery...they used a "hip" chair (higher than a normal chair...and much easier to get in and out of) for me to sit in...try not to overdo on the sitting...I did 30 min...and that was more than enough..too much!!
I did get a hospital bed...and I put a memory foam topper on it...which made it wonderful...if you can get a hospital bed...do so...makes life so much nicer..we put mine in the den..so I was part of the family life, rather than being in the bedroom. I tried to sit in my recliner about 4 of 5 weeks out...it was ok...but I wasn't too comfortable...too low..and pulled my back.
You might want to get a "potty" chair also...cause at night it can be a long hop to the b/r. I also had a chair placed over the toilet...so that it wasn't low and hard to get off of. (sorry about the graphics..).
I was not on crutches...I was on a walker... I could not place any weight on the surgical side...placed that foot on top of my "good" foot and kind of did a big bunny hop holding onto the walker...sounds dumb...but you can't place any weight on the "bad" side until your back stops hurting (don't know how long...but I waited until it wasns't hurting too much...or I'd still be on the walker--probably about 8 to 10 weeks... I also had a wheelchair...this was wonderful..because the bunny hop was just too hard most of the time, especially at first. Used the wheelchair for almost 3 months when I went out..I drove alone after about 10 weeks...but needed the chair for long distances...had to have someone take the chair out of the vehicle for me...no lifting allowed.
You will need a support system to help you....if your sugery is the same as mine...the first 2 or 3 weeks you are basically dependent on others...I do not mean to scare you...but, I needed help getting in and out of bed...washing up...and there is no way you can do household tasks or cooking.. After 2 or 3 weeks you begin to do little things for yourself... I finally became "independent" about 2 months out from surgery...but still needed help at times. You will need 3 or 4 months....or more...you do not want to lift...and if you run a daycare...I do not know what to tell you...ask your Dr...
I now have no toe/leg/knee pain related to the SI joint...thank goodness. I have overdone things..as I had my Mom with me for several weeks...before she arrived home from the nursing home, my back was feeling really pretty good...pain levels were way down. After Mom arrived, I had to help her..and I feel I have done a disservice to me...my back is hurting....enought to take pain meds...but I feel that this is my own fault, I should have been resting from Aug 15 through now...not taking care of someone else...(the Dr. said my recovery was at least 3 months...I only got 7 weeks....so that tells you a lot)
I would do the surgery again...but I would follow the Drs. orders...do not what I do...do as your Dr. says...seriously... Get your support system together..you will need help... I do not mean to frighten you...I was in intensive care after surgery from Thurs.-Sun...then to the regular floor from Sun pm...until I was discharged on Tues....have the help waiting for you (family and friends!)...and have your bed ready...and do not become discouraged..your new life is just a few months down the road... I will try to answer any question that you ask...and try to be here for you...do not be afraid...Drs. have good meds...
Sage

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 05:34 AM   #2
(female)

faith1234 HB User
Re: Faith1234 & SI joint surgery

Thank you so much! It is hard thinking about it and not knowing what to expect. My dr. told me I could plan on resuming daycare with 8 kids, (5 in diapers) at the end of 6 weeks. The more I thought about it, I doubted it. It is nice knowing you had a good outcome, I am looking forward to being able to sit without pain! Thanks again..

Closed Thread