It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User
Results from recent Myelogram

I had myelogram done 3 weeks ago due to severe pain in lower back, loss of bladder control, and also sciatic pain on left side. I had L5/S1 fusion done with both anterior and posterior approach this past January and March. When I had my last doctor's appt. they ordered the myelogram but no one ever got back with me. I finally called them today and the PA called me back and stated that the neurosurgeon says there is nothing new on my myelogram and doesn't show any problems that would cause the bladder problems. I asked her what then is causing the severe pain in my pelvic area (groin) and also in the hips and she said she didn't know. I told her that I cannot walk for more then 15 minutes without severe cramping in my lower back and my hips and thighs. I have to stop and wait and then walk some more and stop and wait and then walk some more again. I told her this didn't makes sense to me that I am still having this type of pain. She said " Well even though we are telling you there isn't anything on the myelogram that is causing your bladder problems we AREN'T telling you that you won't have pain."

I am so discouraged because of my limitations on walking. Anyone have any suggestions on what is going on? She did tell me that I should now get to a Urologist for evaluation and I will but I don't understand the problem with the walking. I am also going to my Rheumatologist on Thursday and I will ask him about the pain, too.l

Linda

Last edited by kyma3; 11-04-2008 at 11:39 PM. Reason: spelling

The following user gives a hug of support to kyma3:
dulcina32 (07-18-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2008, 05:11 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

tmv30 HB User
Re: Results from recent Myelogram

hey sorry i have been off the boards a while. I am glad the mylogram didnt show anything that is serious but i am sad it did not show the problem. I am still having to fight this over here to i think it is my bladder but trying to get them to do more test than what they have done(renal ultrasound and IVP) they dont think they need to do more.
Instead of standing and more urine going down my leg i tilt to the front or side to prevent any getting on my clothes. I am trying to get an appointment with the GYN.
Let me know if you find any more out!

Old 11-05-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

tmv I am so sorry that you are also still experiencing bladder problems. I need to try and get an appt. with a Urologist although it might take some time to get in to one. I am very discouraged with the problems I am still having with the walking. Walking is suppose to be good but what do you do if walking hurts so bad????

I have also started having problems on the right thigh were I think my right thigh is wet. I know that sounds ridiculous but it has happened several times and it makes me run my hand along my clothes because I keep thinking I have spilled something liquid on me. I will let you know what I find out at the Urologist office when I go. Sometimes I feel I am going crazy with these strange unexplained happenings.

Take care
Linda

Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
(female)

dulcina32 HB User

i understand what ur going through cause i have the same issues. I also have alot of pressure and pain in my pelvic area that goes into my hip and down my leg..it took the drs.. 8 years to find out what was wrong and i got a run around through those years on what the issue was... I just found out that i have cyst on my lower back that is pressing on my nerves that goes into my leg witch is making my leg go dead.. I have a low palse in my left leg.. They just scheduled me for a myelogram for tomarrow and im scared to death.. Ive never had anything stuck into my back .. Even having 2 kids i never had it done knowing they were both born naturally... I can walk no more then 20 mins either the pain gets bad in my lower back.. And my hip hurts like hell as well.. What ur going through sound like what im going through.. Id ask for a 2nd opinion... Good luck with everything.. Its so ruff dealing with this pain for so long and not get answers...

DULCINA

Old 07-18-2011, 08:09 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

It may be damage to the nerves that effect your bladder. Those nerves are the L4-S5 nerves that effect your bladder, bowels . Damage to those nerves can cause slowed or difficult urination, or the loss of the ability to empty your bladder or bowels completely and can also cause neuropathy in your thighs, legs . The dermatomes for the low back can be found on the internet. If you look at the areas that are effected by each set of lumbar nerves you may find that it corresponds to the areas of your surgeries. Did you find that you had damage to the nerves prior to surgery or post op?
Another cause may be damage to the cauda equina. This is the bundle of nerves that run through the lumbar area ( spinal canal) from L1-2. It is called the cauda equina because it appears to look like a horses tail. Each set of nerves exit at a specific lumbar area. Sometimes, a complication of surgery may be damage to one or more of those nerve roots.
Back

Closed Thread