It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 12:40 PM   #1
(female)

round2 HB User
Exclamation Hardware Removal

Hello everyone has anybody had hardware removal? if so what was your experience? Recovery time? I have my surgery scheduled for Dec 13, 2008

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
(male)

Devon07 HB User
Re: Hardware Removal

My SIL just had the removal and everything was just fine she said....her only problem has been the fact that she has had so many surgeries and has been in soo much pain that her pain meds are not helping much because she has gotten used to them....so If your on meds make sure the doctor will up them or change them.....other then that she is doing great.....her first surgery was the one she worried about.

Devon

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2008, 06:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I had just one piece from the last fusion removed, a piece that was protruding and causing a lot of pain when I had to lean on it. It was a longer recovery than I expected, but certainly nothing like the fusion. My doctor told me I was trying to do too much too soon, that even though the incision was well healed, removing that hook caused a lot of trauma to the tissues and they would take time to calm down. Because it was a hook embedded in bone, they had to wrench it out. I also experienced some nerve irritation in one hip, which lasted about 6 months. My recovery, once I slowed down and got more rest, was maybe 2 months, except for the nerve stuff.

That said, I don't regret it for a second! I'm so glad that hook isn't poking out anymore!

I hope it goes well for you and that your recovery is fast.

Emily

Old 11-07-2008, 11:04 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

chatterboxsd HB User

I had hardware removed in July. The thing that was tough was that my muscles were cut for the 2nd time. It's not as bad as the original surgery, I thought. So, definitely set up your house like you did for the first surgery - like don't plan on getting into bottom drawers of your dresser for a while and such. I was glad to get it out. I hope you will be, too!

Closed Thread