It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

grama13 HB User
Question Can someone try to help me with these mri reports?

If someone has had a simular case or understands this please explain it to me.Examination: MRI scan of the lumbar spine.History 45year old female with low back pain bilateral leg pain and numbness.Technechal parameters:T1 and T2 weighted sagittal and axial images were obtained through lumbar spine.Findings:Comparison is made with plain raiographs dated 2-19-08.There is degenerative change along the interior endplate of L2. There are small foci of increased T1 and T2 weighted signal intensity in the T12 and L1 vertabral bodies.These could be represent areas of focal fatty deposition or vertabral body hemangiomata.There is normal marrow signal in the remaining lumbar vertebral bodies.The conus is in normal position.At T11-T12,T12-L1,L1-L2,L2-L3,there is no disc herniation,canal or formainal stenosis.At L3-L4,there is a minimally bulging disc and facet hypertrophy.This causes mild canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis.At L4-L5,there is minimally bulging disc and facet hypertrophy.This causes mild to moderate canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis.At L5--S1 there is a bulging disc and facet hypertrophy. This causes mild canal and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis. There appears to be sclerosis along the left sacroiliac joint. If clinically indicated,radionuclide bone scan may be helpful for better evaluation.Impression:1 Degernerative changes in the lower lumbar spine most marked at L4-L5 at which level there is mild to moderate canal and bilateral forminal stenosis.2.There is mild canal and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis a L5-S1.3.There is mild canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis at L3-L4.Possible sclerosis along the left sacroiliac joint, recommend bone scan for better evaluation if clinically indicated 5.Otherwise negative MRI scan of lumbar spine. GP has already referred me to Neurosurgeon but didnt really explain much. Some one please try to help.Grama

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2008, 03:04 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

olddog66 HB User
Re: Can someone try to help me with these mri reports?

Okay you have a lot of the same thing wrong at different levels, so i will try to explain what these medical terms mean, and you can see at what levels they are present, if you don’t know you have five lumber verabra (the bottom vertebra) L5 is the lowest, L1 is the highest and 12 thoracic vertebra (above the lumbar vertebra) T12 is the lowest T1 the highest.

“T1 and T2 weighted sagittal and axial images”
T1 and T2 don’t mean vertebra they are kind of different frequencies that show your spine, and the tissue that surrounds them in a slightly different way. Sagittal images are across section of your spine that runs from front to back, axial images are a cross section of your spine that are in a horizontal plane if you were standing.

“There is degenerative change along the interior endplate of L2.”
I think you probably mean inferior instead of interior, inferior means the bottom. The inferior endplate is the bottom of the vertebra underneath the cartilage that is in contact with the disk. The degenerative change probably means that the bone here is slightly irregular instead of being smooth as it should be.

“There is normal marrow signal in the remaining lumbar vertebral bodies.” Self-explanatory. This is good

“The conus is in normal position. At T11-T12, T12-L1, L1-L2, L2-L3, there is no disc herniation, canal or formainal stenosis.”
The conus is the tail of the spinal cord its normal at T11 through to L3. none of the disks at these levels are ruptured, nor is there any narrowing of the spinal canal (the channel that the spinal cord runs through) or the neural foramina, the
foramina are holes between the vertebra at the sides towards the rear that the nerves coarse out of. This is good.

“At L3-L4,there is a minimally bulging disc and facet hypertrophy. This causes mild canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis.”
At this level you have a minimally bulging disc the bulge is causing a mild narrowing of your spinal canal.
The facet joints are a small pair of joints at he back of the vertebra that guide, and limit motion of the vertebra hypertrophy means that there is extra bone growth this is causing a narrowing of your neural foramina, the foramina are holes between the vertebra at the sides towards the rear that the nerves coarse out of.

“At L4-L5, there is minimally bulging disc and facet hypertrophy. This causes mild to moderate canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis.”
This is pretty much the same thing as the previous level.

“At L5--S1 there is a bulging disc and facet hypertrophy. This causes mild canal and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis.”
S1 is the bottom of your sacrum the bone in the middle of your pelvis. Again the same as the previous level.

“There appears to be sclerosis along the left sacroiliac joint. If clinically indicated,radionuclide bone scan may be helpful for better evaluation.Impression:”
The sacroiliac joint is the joint between the sacrum and ilium in your pelvis there are a pair of them one on each side. Sclerosis is the formation of rough or irregular bone under cartilage or around the margins of joints.

“If clinically indicated,radionuclide bone scan may be helpful for better evaluation.Impression:”.
They are talking about doing a bone scan which will detect inflammation and abnormal activity in your bones if they think it is worthwhile.

“Impression:1 Degernerative changes in the lower lumbar spine most marked at L4-L5 at which level there is mild to moderate canal and bilateral forminal stenosis.2.There is mild canal and mild to moderate bilateral foraminal stenosis a L5-S1.3.There is mild canal and bilateral foraminal stenosis at L3-L4.Possible sclerosis along the left sacroiliac joint, recommend bone scan for better evaluation if clinically indicated “
This just a summation of what is wrong with your spine.

“5.Otherwise negative MRI scan of lumbar spine.”
Otherwise nothing else is wrong

Hope this helps grama13 post again to let us know how you go if you like good luck.

Old 11-14-2008, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

matt3507 HB User
Re: Can someone try to help me with these mri reports?

Hi Grama:
What did I tell ya? I am so happy you got such an incredibly detailed response. Keep posting and talking w/people on this board. I will be watching to see how you are recuperating from your horrible ordeal.

Blessings to you, matt3507

Old 11-18-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
(female)

grama13 HB User
Wink Re: Can someone try to help me with these mri reports?

Thank you olddog for explaining this to me.I do understand the bulging disc part Ive already had a three level neck surgery. I just didnt understand the focal fatty diposition or vertabral body hemangiomata part.It sounded kind of scary.Thank you matt for your advice I should of been more patient. Grama

Closed Thread