It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2008, 06:33 AM   #1
(female)

darbymai59 HB User
Laminectomy vs. Fusion

I seen a surgeon for the 1st time yesterday (ortho). I also plan to get an opinion from a neurosurgeon. I was not too happy about what he told me. He said I have central spinal stenosis at L4/5 that is almost completely closed. He also said I have spondylolisthesis. I have numbness in lower leg and very bad back & sciatica pain. He gave me a choice to have a laminectomy or a L4/5 fusion. Both surgeries really scare me. He said the laminectomy will help but the fusion will help quite a bit more. I don't know if I should try the laminectomy first or just go ahead with the fusion. The recovery times are a lot different.

Can anyone give me their thoughts on this. Help!

Darby

Old 11-13-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Re: Laminectomy vs. Fusion

Hi-

I have Spondylolisthesis, and am currently awaiting an appointment with an ortho pedic surgeon. I also plan on getting an opinion from a nuero surgeon. I had been working with a regular orthopedic Doctor, but the conservative approaches for pain management are not working, so I am being passed along for surgery.
Although I haven't met with the surgeon yet and do not know what approaches he will take, I am expecting to have a fusion. As far as I know, a fusion is the only thing that will fix the spondylolisthesis. I would personally opt for the fusion. It is a longer and harder recovery, but it's worth it if it is more likely to take care of the problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 AM   #3
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

hiya darby...

What is the difference in the 2 surgeries? I know about a fusion. I donot know about the other surgery. My doc is recommending a fusion.

Lynn

Old 11-13-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
(female)

darbymai59 HB User

megss & Lynn,
Thanks for your replys. I hope both of you keep posting your progress. I'll let you know what I decide.

Megss, if I understood my ortho right he said the laminectomy would help the numbness but would not get rid of it and might help the back & leg pain. The spondylolisthesis and stenosis can only be corrected by fusion. I'm not ready to make a decision yet. I know I should opt for fusion and get it over with.

Lynn, a laminectomy just removes bone to free up space for nerves to pass through. He said it is like a roto-rooter procedure. A fusion will make the back more stable. I know these are not very good explanations but the best I can offer.

Good luck to both of you.

Darby

Closed Thread