It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 12:51 AM   #1
(male)

dak8285996 HB User
discetomy

my wife had a discetomy 3 days ago(Monday. He pre-op symptom was only numdness, but the MRI confined a huge L4,L5 disc rupture. Unfortunately during surgery she developed a spinal leak whichthe doctor discrised as caused by a faulty 1MM instrument...I think used to retrake the spinal column. Post-op, instead of going home as an out patient, she stayed over night at the hospital. Keeping her head down.

Next day she walked ok..slow but ok. BUt had a little nausea right before she was to leave. She rested then was ok. We went home, hour drive on interstate, had some coffee at short stop andshe went to bed. She has not taken any pain meds at all fearing nausea. When she gets up her head hurts after about 10 minutes so badly that she has to lay back down, her back hurts terribly as well. I call her doctor who was out but the PA did not think she had normal spinal column leak symptons and reccommended that she drink more fluids as she was concerned about proper hydration. It is 9hours later and no change. Your thoughts?

Old 12-01-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
(male)

picnica HB User
Re: discetomy

One thing I have learned about doctors. Your wife may be fine. I have been through 9 different doctors. If you are not comfortable with the Doctor of PA answers, (I would be questioning it) I would seek another opinion from another doctor. I have had 4 decetomy's at three levels it takes 1 week to be able to stand upright (mines the lower back) as long as each day gets better I normally don't panic. But for any reason you may not feel 100% confident in that doctor or assistant. Make another appointment. Most of the people with long term chronic pain will give you horror stories (myself included) that we trusted a bad doctor and let him drag you along and with hindsight we would have made a new appointment with a different one sooner. Good doctors don't mind you checking on them. I have seen 9 doctors before I found a good one.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2008, 07:16 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

mamabug HB User
Re: discetomy

I developed a leak after a spinal tap. The pain was hideous. I think I had to wait 24 or 48 hours (can't remember) before they would do the patch.

I would definitely talk to somebody else if the symptoms have not resolved themselves by now.

I just realized your post is from Thursday. How is your wife doing?

Closed Thread