It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 PM   #1
(female)

laf761 HB User
10 months post fusion......grinding noise in back???

Well it's been almost 10 months...Generally feeling better and better and stamina getting better too.........BUT recently been hearing...or more like feeling a slight crunching and grinding noise in the low back area..I had a L3-
L4 posterior fusion.

I know this will sound CRAZY....but also sometimes as I go to lie down to go to sleep it almost feels like bicycle gears adjusting in my back...I have not mentioned this to the Dr yet and due back soon for a visit and hopefully more Xrays..I'm sure it's the hardware that tightens things in the one -two vertebrae and the others are not as secured and move around it...OR maybe something has shifted out of place.yikes...Hope not.....I have been lifting some light things again...is this bad...???

Has anyone felt anything similar??

Please tell me I don't need more surgery...

Any feedback will be helpful....I also have been getting some slight numbness
in my right foot (3rd/4th toes right before the pinky toe) this is the leg where I had severe sciatica and my Dr said the L4 nerve was extremely compressed.

Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving...I'm still thanking God for the ability to stand again and walk pretty good distances....just hope this isn't a new problem.

LAF...Laurinda

Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: 10 months post fusion......grinding noise in back???

Hi LAF,
This doesn't sound too good to me. I had a LOT of that grinding when I first had my surgery. Every time I turned over in bed, I could feel and hear it. My husband could even hear it!!! As I slowly fused, it got less and less. Now it's completely gone.

Have you been told that you're fused yet?

I hope it's really nothing at all. I know you're worrying. But worrying won't do anything but make you feel stressed. So write it at the top of your list of questions for your doctor and try not to think about it. Please let us know what he says.

Take care,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 04:40 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Fiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB UserFiona_Jo HB User

[QUOTE=laf761;3807998]

Well it's been almost 10 months...Generally feeling better and better and stamina getting better too.........BUT recently been hearing...or more like feeling a slight crunching and grinding noise in the low back area..I had a L3-
L4 posterior fusion.
?

Has anyone felt anything similar??

Any feedback will be helpful....I also have been getting some slight numbness
in my right foot (3rd/4th toes right before the pinky toe) this is the leg where I had severe sciatica and my Dr said the L4 nerve was extremely compressed.

LAF...Laurinda[/QUOTE]

~ hi ~ LAF, I would definitely run this by your Doctor because I can honestly say I didn't experience what you describe with either of my surgeries and of course you want to make sure everything is OK with the instrumentation and your healing and fusing correctly. Have you fused yet? My cervical Fusion it took close to 1 year to fuse and I had to use a a Cervical Stim to help it fuse. But, I didn't notice any strange crunching in my neck. It sounds like your feeling good - which is wonderful. But, I think it's a good idea to find out about the crunching, to at least put your mind at ease. I would call this week to see if you can at least talk to your surgeon.

Keep in touch and let us know what you find out.

You're in my thoughts

~ Fiona Jo ~

Old 12-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Hi there! Do you have popping noise with this grinding? If you do, I was told that mine was more than likely due to scar tissue over the hardware and when you move it is popping or making a noise the scar tissue. Sometimes the grinding can be very painful. When you lie down you might try placing a tennis ball under the area, and roll it around underneath you. You will probably need two tennis balls under you.

Old 12-01-2008, 06:43 PM   #5
(female)

laf761 HB User

Well...............thank you both for your feedback...Called the surgeons office 1st thing this am...They said if I had had a hardware shift or loose screw (ha, ha, my Dad always says I have a loose screw) that I would be in alot of pain...BUT...suggested another xray...scheduled one here in CT at his satelite office for this Thursday...If this doesn't show anything may need a CT scan...But you're right it is more of a popping sound I guess...A little unnerving to say the least,,,Please pray that it's nothing...
I was just starting to feel a bit better....

Laying off the gym this week and only walking..

How are you both doing.....DP we haven't touched base in a bit...are you doing better?

Thanks much for your feedback.

LAF

Last edited by laf761; 12-01-2008 at 06:44 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-01-2008, 09:29 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

LAF,

I just responded to your other post and wrote an update there. Thank you for checking up on me and caring. It means the world to me. I have way more cyber support then friends in real life. You all get it and understand the spinney up and downs.

I suspect probably working out has loosened some scar tissue and that is why you are hearing the popping sound of the tissue moving. I remember the first time I heard it, my husband and neighbor heard it too across the room. That was how loud it was the first time. It didn't really hurt just caused a deep ache afterwards for a couple of days.

Hope you feel better soon and congrats for getting back into the gym. Not that I am green with envy or anything!!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:28 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

beachgirl01 HB User

Hi there,

I don't want to scare you and your situation is probably nothing but I feel I have to share this with you as I would have wanted to know this as well.

After my first fusion and other stuff. I felt so great for a couple weeks post op. THings started to get really bad. When I went in for a follow up and routine x-rays, that's when I found out that I had a broken screw! Shortly after finding out another one broke. I could hear them grind together and I could feel it when I put my hand on my back. M fiancee could hear it too and could feel it as well. It was a bizare feeling that is for sure. I have to say though I wasn't in that much pain. It was uncomfortable but not unbareable. Needless to say I needed another surgery.

Like I said I don't want to scare you and you are probably fine. It's probably the fusion taking place ans settling. Please let me know what this turns out to be. If you have any other questions I would be happy to try and help.

Take care,
Beachgirl

Old 12-02-2008, 03:21 PM   #8
(female)

Susiebird HB User

I also have the popping noise in my back - seems to be constant since I've gotten some flexibility back. It doesn't hurt, it's more like when you crack your knuckles. It usually does it when I twist around to back the car up, or when I lay down and it takes a few seconds for everything to settle in. Hopefully it's nothing but can't hurt to mention it to your surgeon.

Old 12-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I concur: grinding=hardware, popping=scar tissue. I'm glad you called your doctor. Better safe than sorry!

Let us know what the x-rays show.

Emily

Old 12-02-2008, 07:46 PM   #10
(female)

laf761 HB User

Thank you so much ladies....

Beach girl....was the 2nd surgery as complicated as the actual 1st fusion...Was it a shorter surgery?....When they are"fixing" a screw is it any less life threatening...or do they just clean stuff up...........

Gosh I hope I don't have to do that again...How long between your surgeries?.

Were they able to tell from an X-ray...or did you need a CT scan.........I won't need another MRI right cause that's to see the soft tissue right??

Again thanks for all your feedback...I'll learn something Thursday I hope.

God bless

Last edited by laf761; 12-02-2008 at 07:47 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread