It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #1
(female)

Gonnasmile HB User
PLIF Hardware Removal

I am 20 years old and had a PLIF in June of 07 and have been having the worest pain since so my Dr has decided to take the hardware out in less than a week. I had alot of problems with the last surgery so I am wondering how this surgery went for other people. How long were you in the hospital? Did the surgery help with pain? Did you have to keep taking pain meds? If there is anything you can tell me I would be very greatful.

Old 11-30-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: PLIF Hardware Removal

I had just one piece of my hardware taken out. It was done as an outpatient. I was in recovery for several hours, then was fine to go home. Recovery for me took a couple of months, as the hook was imbedded in bone and had to be wrenched out, causing a lot of tissue and nerve irritation. But I'm glad I let him do it. I'm much better off now!

I hope the hardware is the problem and that you'll have less pain after you've had some time to heal. Let us know how it goes and how you're doing.

Blessings,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Gonnasmile, I had mine out but I also had alot more work done at the same time decompressing nerves so it is hard for me to really tell you how you about recovery. However, I do want to make sure that you know for a fact you are Fully fused. If you are not, you want to make sure that you dr does not remove you hardware. If the hardware is removed and if you are not FULLY fused, the fusion that is left can fall apart and then you are back to square one with a non union and a mess of problems. I don't want to scare you but please be aware of this and make sure that you and your surgeon have an understanding of this before surgery.

Good luck.

Old 12-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #4
(female)

Gonnasmile HB User

Well guys here is an update, I had the surgery and it was a success in the since of back pain. The pain let up when I woke up. That has been great the problem has been that there is a tear which is leading to spinal fluid leakage. This caused me to me in the hoapital am extra week and severe headaches. I am now on bedrest and will be till further notice.

Closed Thread