It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2008, 06:51 PM   #1
(female)

laf761 HB User
Pepper......details about your surgery

Pepper I just followed up here on your latest story...When is the next surgery scheduled for..I'm glad you have found someone that is listening etc...and a new resolution is on the way.

You have been such a help to SO MANY here on these boards and we wish you nothing but good things...

All the best.

LAF

Old 12-01-2008, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran

Mod08 HB UserMod08 HB UserMod08 HB User
Re: Pepper......details about your surgery

LAF

Your post has been moved into a separate thread of its own.

Do not ask other users questions on someone elses thread. Your question may inadvertently take over the thread. In the future, please start a new thread instead for your questions.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Mod08

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

LAF761,

Thank you so much for your well wishes and prayers as I prepare for surgery #5!! WOW!! Right now I am waiting for the surgery scheduler to call me back with a date.

To make a long story short, my fusion at L5/s1 never fused despite BMP and a revision surgery last November. So they are going to do an XLIF at L5/S1 and enter via the side to place a cage with BMP at this level. The reason why they are doing the XLIF is so that they can use a bigger cage then they could via PLIF or abdominal surgery. Because of my lack of fusion despite using BMP, they feel I need the largest cage they can get in possible to stablize my spine. They are going to do this at L4 and L3 as well. If these three levels fuse, I will be set to go. If I continue to have pain afterwards and don't fuse, then they will do a fusion via abdominal then 2 days later do a surgery on the backside with all new rods going from L3 to s1.

This XLIF surgery is supposedly a little easier on recovery time; however, my surgeon says it may or may not be in my case due to the complexity of my case. I prefer to think that I will be back up and running at six weeks going strong.

I will keep everyone posted as my date approaches.

Again, thank you for you love and support. It certainly makes this all a little easier to cope with. It has been one long haul.

Love and blessings for a happy holiday!

Pepper
Only [COLOR="Red"]22[/COLOR] more shopping days!!

Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

Just found out I am going to surgery December 8th! YIKES!!

Old 12-02-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
(female)

laf761 HB User

Oh my goodness...surgery # 5...But happy to hear you have a date and they have a plan....You are such a trooper and so strong..I know you can do this..and goodness knows you know the drill.....At least you will be through the tough part before Xmas.

Hang in there..........you already have angels overhead...

God bless and be strong..thinking of you...

Last edited by laf761; 12-03-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: typo

Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Pepper I just want you to know that I will have you in my prayers. You have been through so much and been an inspiration to so many.

Linda

Old 12-04-2008, 03:03 AM   #7
(female)

jinks67 HB User

Oh Diet,

I'm so so soooo glad that this is all scheduled (and my god, so soon now!) and am praying hard that this time we'll be seeing some major improvements! I know you probably deserve a PhD in spine operations, but all the same, I still have to say it - take good care of yourself, keep your chin up and let everyone run around like mad after you during your recovery.

won't it just be the best christmas present ever to know you're finally on the road to recovery!?!

Hopefully I won't be too far behind you in the operating theatre (you can catch up on my lastest thread). I've always felt I've been just a few steps behind you on the spinal path, so its another reason I'm praying so hard for your health - just kidding!

If I don't hear from you before the operation, fill us in afterwards (but only when you feel up to it of course!).

Best wishes and hugs as always
Jinks

Old 12-04-2008, 05:38 PM   #8
(female)

laf761 HB User

Yes Diet.........you have been there for SO many and always take the time to explain things you have experienced etc...which has been so helpful to me and to EVERYONE..

Thank you..thank you again..

We will be thinking of yopu.

all the best.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:41 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

deb53 HB User

Oh my goodness Pepper, I am so sorry that you are having to endure another surgery. But.....I pray with all my heart that this one will be the very last one and you will very soon be virtually pain free. Hang in there, I will be thinking of you on Monday and will anxiously await your update post op. Take care my friend.

Deb

Old 12-04-2008, 10:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Pepper, I didn't realize your surgery was coming up so soon. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck and know that you have my thoughts prayers and all of my support. I will look forward to hearing from you when this surgery is over. I hope you have super speedy speedy and easy recovery. Take Care, Dee

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ms_west HB User

You all are so kind and those prayers mean so much to me in light of today's news.

I met with my surgeon, he did an exam and we chatted a bit about the surgery and the surgeries I have had in the past and my surgeon all of the sudden said that I can't have the XLIF procedure afterall on account of one of previous surgeries.

So if anyone is having an XLIF procedure done, just for your information, it can not be done if you have had any surgery on your intestines/moving of your abdominal organs. It is to risky of perforating your peratinum (sp?) lining. It also can't be done on L5/S1 and below. Only on levels above.

So now we are going to do the full blown surgery on Monday. I will be having a PLIF. He will be going thru the back, do laminectomies on L3- S1, remove the hardware, insert cage at L4 and L5, remove as much disc as possible at L5, put in all new hardware from L3 to S1, use bmp, etc. So my easier surgery is being replaced with major surgery.

My surgeon said, if this does not work that we are at the end of our road and there will be nothing else left to do. It will be simply a matter of making me as comfortable as possible.

So I can use all the prayers possible that this will resolve my pain so that I can return to my normal fiesty self.

My hubby has decided that he is going to stay with me in the hospital for the first 24 hours to ensure that I am properly medicated and taken care of. What a sweetie he is.

Anyhow, I will try to check in as soon as I can. I have a list a mile long and hope that I can get a good portion of it accomplished so I will not be on alot. Four days is not a lot of time to prepare for surgery so you can only imagine how frazzled I am.

May you all have a blessed holiday season and enjoy every second with your family!

Old 12-05-2008, 11:06 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

kyma3 HB User

Pepper I am so sorry to hear that the other procedure couldn't be done and I know you must be very disappointed but I am also glad that there is something they can do. I know it won't be a very Merry Christmas for you this year because of the pain but my prayers will be with you during all of this time. Take care of yourself and give yourself time to recover.

Linda

Old 12-05-2008, 11:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

deeannek HB User

Wow Pepper I am sorry you can't have the surgery you planned for but at least you have experience with this and know what to expect. I hope this will take away your pain so you can get back to doing the things you love. Once again Good Luck and you have my support and prayers.

Your Spine Buddy
Dee

Old 12-06-2008, 06:07 AM   #14
(female)

jinks67 HB User

Oh geez, but its good that they seem to be doing their utmost to ensure they're doing their absolute best for you...and that's all you can you ask for. I know that you're not looking at a 100% cure now but I'm praying for the best possible outcome and that this will do wonders to relieve the pain and give you a whole new birghter life in the months and years ahead.

All the best for monday diet,

Bigs (but gentle) hugs
Jinks

Old 12-06-2008, 09:22 AM   #15
(female)

laf761 HB User

Hey Pepper...

Sorry they can't do the XLIF but if it's so risky I'm happy to hear that they can't...You sound like you are in cautious WONDERFUL hands, and that they will now clean up everything else.....WHAT A GREAT HUSBAND....that's wonderful that he can stay with you....

Again you have always been strong for us all and we know how strong you are......all they best....Lots of prayers...and the worst will be over before the holidays....2009 will be your year...A new you..and a stronger bionic spine.

As you said back to your feisty self.

all the best....God bless

LAF

Closed Thread