It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
(female)

lost70 HB User
Question New things found on MRI

Just a little background on me....I'm soon to be 44 (this month), I herniated my L5-S1 disc in '99 and forced to have surgery because I couldn't walk. The pain never left, but I could walk again. I had "flare ups" everytime I turned around and I couldn't hold onto a job to save my life.

A couple yrs ago it got worse than ever and I landed in the hospital and the dr who did my surgery finally said it failed.

Now I went and got a new MRI last week bc of increased pain. There were new findings which I'm uncertain of what it all means. Here is some of what my MRI report says and I hope someone can shed some light on this for me.

[B]MILD LEVOSCOLIOTIC CURVATURE WITH MAXIMAL CONVEXITY AT L4.

L4-5 LEVEL: DISC DESICCATION WITH POSTERIOR BULGE. THE BULGE HAS MORE PROMINENT BROAD BASED LEFT FORAMINAL/LEFT LATERAL COMPONENT. ALSO NOTED IS A SMALL NEW LEFT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION, MINIMAL CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS, MILD TO MODERATE RIGHT AND MODERATE LEFT NEURAL FORAMINAL NARROWING. LEFT L4 NERVE ROOT IS ABUTTED BUT NOT EFFACED IN THE NEURAL FORAMINA BY THE MORE PROMINENT LEFT FORAMINAL/LATERAL ANNULAR BULGE. LEFT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION ABUTS AND DISPLACES, BUT DOES NOT EFFACE THE LEFT L5 NERVE ROOT IN THE CENTRAL CANAL.

[/B]

Old 01-05-2009, 12:35 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

olddog66 HB User
Re: New things found on MRI

MILD LEVOSCOLIOTIC CURVATURE WITH MAXIMAL CONVEXITY AT L4.

This is an abnormal sideways curvature of the spine with the convexity to the left

L4-5 LEVEL: DISC DESICCATION WITH POSTERIOR BULGE. THE BULGE HAS MORE PROMINENT BROAD BASED LEFT FORAMINAL/LEFT LATERAL COMPONENT.

L4-L5 is the second bottom joint in your spine, disc desiccation means the disc has lost some moisture, and or it has narrowed, posterior bulge means there is a bulge at the back of the disk, the bulge is more prominent on the left hand side, its bulging at or near the left neural foramina, which is a groove between the two vertebrae which the nerves coarse out of.

ALSO NOTED IS A SMALL NEW LEFT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION, MINIMAL CENTRAL CANAL STENOSIS, MILD TO MODERATE RIGHT AND MODERATE LEFT NEURAL FORAMINAL NARROWING.

You have a new bulge at this level also, i would think they have compared your new, and old scans, minimal central canal stenosis is mild narrowing of the spinal canal, your left, and right neural foramina are narrow due to the disc bulge. see above for description of neural foramina.

LEFT L4 NERVE ROOT IS ABUTTED BUT NOT EFFACED IN THE NEURAL FORAMINA BY THE MORE PROMINENT LEFT FORAMINAL/LATERAL ANNULAR BULGE.

The L4 nerve root that exits the neural foramina, is being touched by the bulging disc, but it is not being compressed by the bulge.

LEFT PARACENTRAL DISC PROTRUSION ABUTS AND DISPLACES, BUT DOES NOT EFFACE THE LEFT L5 NERVE ROOT IN THE CENTRAL CANAL.

The bulge also touches the nerve root where it branches off the the spinal cord in the spinal canal. but again it does not compress the nerve.

Good luck lost 70

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread