It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2009, 09:36 PM   #1
(female)

cancerhead HB User
What Activities are out there after spinal fusion

Hello. I had a spinal fusion on my lower back in 2006 and the quality of my life is far better than before . Anyhow, I feel better and I'm able to run, walk, and do many activites, but I'm wondering if I can, with out taking a great risk of hurting my fused back, go snowboarding, sledding, and perhaps become pregnant. Has anyone had spinal fusion and did any of what I listed or more?

Thanks in advance for you reply.

Curious Cancerhead

Old 01-07-2009, 05:57 AM   #2
(male)

TomL HB User
Re: What Activities are out there after spinal fusion

I am a 62-year-old male who has had two fusion surgeries, 2002, 2003.

Prior to surgery, I had run 30-miles a week for 20 years. I had to quit running because my stride was never correct after the first surgery and I just found other activities. I played house league hockey for 15 years when I was younger, but I will never ice skate again because I fear a had fall on the ice could fracture the fusion. I am very active, I go to the gym most mornings for about 2 hours. I have hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon twice and did extensive hikes in Zion and other places. I take long bike rides when I can, but again I am very concerned about a fall from the bike. I currently average over 30 miles a week walking. I am very consistent on stretching and core strength exercise. I feel very lucky, but I have also made the best of what was dealt to me. You will figure what activities you can safely participate in. Maybe I have too much fear about fracturing the fuse, but I usually weigh the risk of any activity and determine if the enjoyment is worth the risk. I don't want another surgery to repair damage because I did something foolish. Good luck, stay active.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-07-2009, 11:53 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

There are people on here who have gone water and snow skiiing and all sorts of other great activities, but it's best to have your doctor clear you. He knows your exact situation and what would be safe for you.

As far as getting pregnant, I had a T4-L4 fusion at age 18 and later had three successful pregnancies with normal vaginal deliveries.

You may need to modify some of your activities to accommodate your back, but there are lots of things you can still participate in. Just be careful.

There IS life after fusion!!!

Emily

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

caszyman HB User

My daughter is now 19 and had a two level fusion when she was 16. Her doctor has cleared her for many activities. She has to use her head and play it safe. She does water ski (on one ski), she has been snow skiing, ice skating, bowling, plays tennis... She does all of these activities in moderation. She was told by one of her physical therapists that she should never go wakeboarding or snowboarding. I really don't recall the reasons but dr did approve her skiing both snow and water. He tells her to listen to her body. She does not do roller coasters or rough rides. cas

Old 01-07-2009, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

cancerhead HB User

Wow. Good for you. Now being that your back is fused, were you able to get (if needed/wanted) an epideral shot before the deliveries?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM   #6
(female)

cancerhead HB User

crazyman,

Yes, I remember reading about your daughter's case. That's great news and thanks for the advise.

Last edited by Mod08; 01-08-2009 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Please do not copy quotes - simply address your response to the individual to save space on the server.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I had an epidural with only one of them. One time I had a saddleblock because my doctor was a jerk and decided I was high risk at the last minute and wouldn't let me push, even though my cardiologist had cleared me. The other was completely natural, no meds of any kind, and no problems.

:: Emily

Closed Thread