Hi everyone, I have not posted in awhile.
At my last appointment with the surgeon (December 10th), I was told I would need a 2 level spinal fusion from L4-S1. He put me on disability from work, told me to do PT 3x a week for a month, told me to schedule another injection (first one offered no relief), and scheduled my next appointment with him for January 13th. This is coming up next week.
I have been doing PT, although only twice a week because my therapist said that was all I could handle. I did the second injection, which also offered no relief. The Dr. doing the injection was actually surprised I was having another one done. I am still in a lot of pain, and the numbness and tingling in my left foot is becoming more frequent. Today at PT the therapist caused the numbness to happen by whatever he was doing to my back.
I am getting a little nervous about my appointment next week. I want the surgery but at the same time I am terrified of it. Is this my next step? I have been dealing with the pain for 8 months now, so much less time than many of you, although it is bad pain that has escalated rapidly. I have tried Prednisone twice, and injection twice, PT, and nothing is helping me.
I have grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1, disc disease with an annular tear and bulge at L4-L5, and a herniation with loss of disc hight at L5-S1.My discogram showed that pain is being cause by my L4-L5, L5-S1 discs on top of the spondy.
Any insight would be appreciated!
Hi Megss, I have not posted in awhile either. We sound like we have a lot in common. I went to an ortho doctor and he wanted to give me a Laminectomy and a one level fusion at L4/L5. I got another opionion from a neurosurgeon (both spine specialist) and after another MRI he said my spondylolisthesis is a grade 1 and he believes all I need is a laminectomy. I have severe central stenosis at L4/L5. I hope he is right cause thats who I am trusting with my surgery. I have osteoarthritis and buldging disks and osteobytes. I've had 4 transforaminal injections, 1 EPI, 6 PT visits and RadioFrequency to no avail. I am now in the process of scheduling my Laminectomy and I am trying to hold out until March 5th. I just want to wait for a little warmer weather. I know what you mean when you say you want the surgery but terrified of it. ME TOO!! I have also been dealing with the pain since last March. Let us know what your doctors tells you on the 13th. I'll say a prayer for you.
Just hang in there chicadee. You are doing all you can to treat your back. That is all you can do at the time. You are young and hopefully something will work for you instead of a fusion. It is a very hard decision to make to have that long recovering surgery. The pain gets a person down and so frustrated. I am quite sure you are feeling that. All back and neck sufferers do......but.....you are trying all the conservative things to help...that is all you can do for now...I wish you good luck.....
I had PT today, and he thinks I need surgery. I told him I had one last appointment scheduled with him before my appointment with the surgeon, and he actually said only to come if I really wanted too. Not sure what that means. I guess we will see what happens at my appointment next week. I am just tired of living with this pain. I am too young for this! I also want to be a better mommy to my 16 month old. I want to take her sledding instead of laying on the couch on pain meds. It is my goal to take her sledding next winter!
Hi Megss, I am so glad that you posted. I've been wondering how you have been. I am so sorry that you continue to be in so much pain. Hopefully your doctors are just being very thorough with everything but most of all I hope you finally get the answers to some releif at your appt next week.
Last edited by Mod08; 01-10-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Reason: Please start a new thread to post about your condition. Do not post on others thread. Thank you for following the board rules
Sounds like your going through all the "typical steps" prior to surgey.....I would bet a discogram is in your near future....that is when they talk about what proceedure they recommend for your surgery....I had a two level fusion (360) and would do it again in a heartbeat and I even had trouble in surgery....its a lengthy recovery and I chose to do mine during winter months to recover....I would go nuts if it was nice swimming weather!....anyway I wish you the best and your a good mommy for thinking of the little one during your time of stress and pain.....you will be fine!
Devon- I did actually have a discogram on Dec 2nd. I forgot to mention that. It was that test that determined that I would be needing a 2 level fusion instead of just a one level. I actually got the bill for that in the mail today
Last edited by Mod08; 01-10-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Reason: Do not respond to others updates on your thread. Thank you.
Well I met with the surgeon, and still no surgery. I am still not strong enough, I have a lot of weakness and tightness in my legs and back. Apparently the physical therapist I was sent to did not treat me as the Dr. wanted him too. He didn't teach me any strengthening exercises. All he did at my appointments was stretch my legs a little and massage my lower back. So now I am to do 6 weeks of intensive PT with another place, and then he swore he would schedule my surgery at our next appointment. I am frustrated, but on the bright side, it will be spring time (or almost spring time) when I have the surgery so I can walk outside and wont feel so stir crazy.
Just hang in there! Being in good shape physically and mentally will help you recover if you do indeed have the fusion surgery. I can tell you....it is NOT an easy recovery. It can get very depressing and it takes a long time to recover. I woke up this morning in much pain and got very discouraged by it all. I was in tears even. I had my surgery dec. 16. Mostly, i feel I have come a long ways but its mornings like this morning that gets me very down. Upon my release from the hospital, they told me I would have good days and bad days and that is a very true statement. Lately, I have had more good days than bad but the bad days just purely suck. You have a small child....my best advise to you is....if you have this surgery, you best have someone that can come help you for a while. You will not be able to pick your child up for a very long time. My weight restriction is 5 pounds. And I think the weight restriction is put on you to follow for a long time. It is lots to think about before making the decision to have the surgery. We take for granted being able to do things before surgery and then after the surgery.....you cant do much of anything for a while. Its best to find things you CAN do as it helps keep you from getting down. I, myself, am in good shape. I was going to the gym faithfully for a while before surgery and I for sure think that helps recovery. Good luck to you and really try to let PT strengthen you!
I do have a very good support system and plenty of family and friends that will be able to help. I am well aware that I will not be able to lift Grace for a long time. It breaks my heart, but I also want to get this taken care of. I want to have more babies too, and I cannot get pregnant with the pain I am now. I would die. I know I have only dealt with this pain for a short time compared to some others on here (9 months), so I should try and be patient. It's just hard sometimes!