It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 02:32 PM   #1
(male)

dfranklin89 HB User
Smile dealing with surgeon for back pain

I have S1 bulging and mild bulging at L5
on the left side, however my pain is on the right leg and foot including the heel. My SZurgeon does not understsand this. He thinks surgery would not be in my best interest. My question is, Can I insist he perform the surgery, I have told him I will assume responsibility if it fails?

Old 01-26-2009, 05:12 PM   #2
(male)

jaydar HB User
Re: dealing with surgeon for back pain

You can't insist the surgeon operate..In fact it would be foolish for a doctor to perform surgery if the problem isn't clear.
A discgram will show what mri will not show.
Also.....I've had 2 orthos and 2 neurosurgeons review my mri and discograms.
Both neuros diagnosed the same.Both orthos did not.Even the mri techs failed to see I have bulging of the thecal sac......Just waiting for the worlds ex largest insurer to spend money to fix me instead of having multi million dollar resort getaways every month on Gov bailout money.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2009, 06:29 PM   #3
(male)

Devon07 HB User

Get more than one opinion!...also get a discogram if he didnt do this you need another doc anyway.....never insist on a surgery when they dont want to...find out what more than one say.

If you can avoid surgery then avoid it....find an ortho or neuro who specializes in spines!....get the disco then you will know.

Good luck,
Devon

Old 01-27-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
(male)

eddieJ85 HB User

[QUOTE=dfranklin89;3863296]I have S1 bulging and mild bulging at L5
on the left side, however my pain is on the right leg and foot including the heel. My SZurgeon does not understsand this. He thinks surgery would not be in my best interest. My question is, Can I insist he perform the surgery, I have told him I will assume responsibility if it fails?[/QUOTE]

As others have said, your doctor should of set you up for a discogram. If your surgeon doesn't think you should have surgery, ask him what he thinks you should do and what other tests/procedures he'd like to try before surgery. Most doctors like to do everything they can to avoid surgery. Me personally they'd always try a series of epidurals and other things to see how bad the pain was. If he isn't willing to do anything, well as others have said..you need a new doctor. Either goto a new one or ask to see a different doctor from within the same place you're going now.

When I first came to an actual orthopedic doctor with back pain, it was about 10 months before I actually had a surgery.

Last edited by eddieJ85; 01-27-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Old 01-27-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
(female)

lost70 HB User

Your surgeon probably feels surgery would not relieve your pain. I had surgery at my L5-S1 only because I couldn't walk. I still had pain following surgery (in '99) until now. And 3 yrs ago the surgeon finally said it failed. Now I have alot of arthritis, severe DDD, 2 discs are almost completely gone (the operated one and the one above it) and the next one up is herniated now. So surgery can start the "domino effect", so beware and don't be in a hurry to have surgery. Try everything else before resorting to that. Take care and good luck!

Old 01-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

What type of doctor have you seen? If you've seen a neurosurgeon, perhaps get a consultation with a Spinal Orthopedic Surgeon (or vice verse).

Closed Thread