It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 04:50 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User
Question for the ladies

Hi everyone,
I have asked in the past but not sure if it was on this board so thought I would give it a shot. I have cervical & lumbar problems & still at the age I have my monthly. During that time & days before my pain goes up,up,up. My lower back really hurts & like now everything seems to hurt more. I did have a doctor tell me that the fluid retention is probably making it worse. Thus far I know I have some herniated or bulging discs in the lumbar. I am waiting for a repeat of an MRI once I am further post op for the cervical.
Does anyone else have this problem? I am really sick of this & struggle. I am 43 & to be honest at this rate I may not mind menapause,lol.
Due to being post op for the cervical I cant take any motrin products & its amazes me how pain meds are not a big help when it comes to monthly cylces. I appreciate any replies.
God bless, Sammy

Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 AM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: Question for the ladies

Hi Sammy....

I can tell you from my own experience. Yes, I think monthly cramps made my back hurt more. I am 47 and up until oct. I had my period. I had to have an ablation due to non stop bleeding and no longer have periods now. But prior to having the ablation, I did have cramps and it did make my back hurt even more. When do you go for your lumbar MRI? I have read your other post and I think I replied to 1 or 2 of your post. I am like you. I had a cervical fusion years ago and have had not 1 regret of having it done. And now in the process of recovering from a lumbar fusion and having great success so far with that as well. I am 6 weeks post op and starting to feel much much better. I am now in the process of weaning off all pain meds. I cannot stand the side effects of this pain med anymore. The constipation is absolutely horrible. I took it upon my self to decide to not take this stuff anymore. Well, I acttually did call my pain mgt doc and talk to him about it and he ok'd me to do it. I will have the meds if I do need it. Only we, know our body's and pain so I feel like the pain I am having is really more of a discomfort level. It is wonderful to open my eyes in the morning and not feel pain. Prior to my fusion, I was waking up hurting most every morning and its horrible to start the day off hurting. So glad I had my back fusion. I hope this helps you and I wish you good luck with your neck fusion and possible lumbar fusion. Do you have DDD? That is what caused all my cervical and lumbar issues. I have DDD. Good luck....and lemme know what comes of your lumbar issue....

LYNN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

sammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB Usersammyo1 HB User

Thank you Lynn, yes I have DDD in the cervical. I am not sure about the lumbar yet. The doctors said they would look into the lumbar after I heal some from the cervical.
I know I had problems in the lumbar but could not get the doctors to listen. If I brought up pain in both areas then I was looked at like I was imagining it all. Believe me they all most had me convinced. So I focused on what hurt the most which was the cervical area. While having the last MRI on the cervical & thoracic it picked up the first 2 or 3 discs in the lumbar & showed bulges/herniations with a remark about the area being void of CFS fluid & highly recommended a repeat MRI on the lumbar. Which did not surprise me at all. I do have some pain & symptoms in my left leg & foot, just not as bad as the cervical. During my cycle it can get really bad & some months I actually limp.
I just could not get the doctors to even do the MRI till the cervical was addressed & my PM doctor actually came right out & said the insurance would probably give us a hard time because of the surgery on the cervical. More of less both could not be treated at the same time. Really kind of made me mad, its not like the lumbar issues would go away & I wanted to know what was going on in the lumbar. I am hoping to have the lumbar done soon, but I have a feeling the doctor will want to wait till at least the cervical collar comes off & that wont be for another couple months.
I know what you mean about the meds, I am tired of the constipation to believe me.
I am just a month post op but still have pain & some old symptoms which has me worried. I am hoping it gets better but I had C5 & 6 done & the surgeon did warn me that 4 & 7 were not the the best of shape. Mostly C7. The weather has been really bad to cold & lots of snow, perhaps thats making it worse to. I am just really sore & my arms & shoulders hurt more the last several days. I have some tingling right up against my spine in the upper back & I am praying its all normal. Because my condition was let go for so long I have to wait & see if there is any nerve damage. So I will hope & pray for the best. I just dread my monthly cycle because it just makes everything so much worse. No motrin for 3 mnths & for me motrin helps more then pain meds when it comes to my cycle. Thank you so much for responding & its so nice to hear success stories. Gives the rest of us some hope. god bless, Sammy

Old 01-29-2009, 08:48 AM   #4
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi Sammy....

Hopefully you will loose all the pain you are feeling soon. But it takes some time. I didnt have any permanent damage in my cervical area, thank goodness. I was having the tingling sensation as you are having. But as soon as I had the fusion done, it was gone. I had 3 levels done in my neck. I had 2 done first with cages, plate and screws. A year later, I had to have the 3rd one fixed. I am presently not having a problem with my neck at all. I feel 100% better. Well, I had the cervical surgeries years ago. The hardware is still in and no problems since. Actually, my neck was in bad bad shape. Worst than my back was. I had stenosis in my neck and I was pretty much bone on bone. Suffered with neck,shoulder pain a very long time before I resorted to surgery. And I am 1 to not want to resort to taking medicine. I know it is so necessary at times, but I have a fear of becoming dependent and I surely dont want that to happen. <my son is an addict> I wish you the best on your recovery with your neck
You know, I wondered my self, and I also asked my back neurosurgeon, how common is it for a person to have cervical and lumbar issues? His reply was....it is very common. So, that answered my question. My problem is DDD so I guess when you end up have injuries or weak disc <if there is any such thing, I think its more injury related LOL> , you end up having herniations ect. Your doctor may be right.<I wore my collar 2 full months and was so very glad to be out of it LOL> Allow yourself to fully heal and fuse before you go through the lumbar fusion. I have to tell you, the lumbar fusion is much harder to recover from. I am now 6 weeks post op and still have a long road ahead of me. I havent even started fusing as of yet. I had the ALIF done. So, the incision is on my lower abdomen. I do think the ALIF is easier to heal from than the PLIF. Although, everyone still has to heal the same. It has been tough whew......so many restrictions. I am a clean freak and it is getting on my nerves to not be able to mop and vacumm daily but I cannot jeopardize my back healing. I am impatient. I am learning patience though LOLAs far as the monthly period thingy, I know what you mean by the cramps. I often took aleve or something to help with my cramps. And with a fusion you cannot take that medicine. So I feel for you about that OH GOSH.....the constipation issue. I have never in my 47 years of living, had such a terrible prob with constipation. I know it is caused from the narcotics and that is another reason I want to stop taking it. I am taking SennakotS everyday and drinking miralax every other day and STILL have to use suppositories. It is horrible. I was told by the vascular surgeon that assisted in my back fusion that it will take 2-3 months after surgery to get back on track so,it is also that factor. I will be so happy to be normal as far as that goes UGH.....I alsmost feel it willnot happen LOL I do struggle with that issue greatly. Ok....I think I have rambled enough LOL I dont have much I can do but sit here and read and type back <well, i cannot forget, I do have my wonderful grandbabies that keep me occupied some , even if it is playing with baby dolls ha> . I wish you good luck with your back and girl, it is NOT in your head. Dont let anyone make you feel that way. I know all too well that it surely can happen to a persons neck and back.....you take good care of yourself and do the best you can in your recovery

LYNN

Closed Thread