It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

usps HB User
Exclamation Nerve Flare Up

I was needing to know what you did for your nerve flair up? I have severe pain from L5 S1 fusion. I don't know what exactly gets it flaired up, but when I do, it is days with pain....any suggestions?????????????????????????????? Your friend in pain....

Old 01-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: Nerve Flare Up

Hi USPS..

I had ALIF surgery on dec 16. About 1 maybe 2 weeks after surgery, I started having leg pain in my right leg. It would be from my hip/buttock down to my calf <in the back of my leg> . It had gotten severe enough to end up at the ER on 3 occasions. The pain med I was taking for my back surgery would not even touch the pain in my leg. It was unbearable even. On the 3rd visit to the ER, I was admitted into the hospital. It was super bad and I will never forget the pain i was in. The doc <well, the nurse did the iv>
in the ER immediately put an IV in and I was given dialadid <sp?> for pain. After being on the dialadid for a full day, the next morning I was put on oxycontin, roxicodone and lyrica as well as having a MRI and other test. Lyrica is actually the med given for nerve pain but it takes a while to get in system good. I was told a low dose of narcotics will NOT help nerve pain. That is why they give lyrica, gabepenton or neurontin <I mispelled the names of those medications> But to get my pain back under control, I was given strong narcotics. Strong narcotics helps as it just makes you numb to pain LOL As of now, I am still on all that med. The nerve flare up that caused me to be admitted was on jan 5. I feel and my docs feel as if we have gotten the nerve "cooled" back down. So, I am weaning off oxycontin and roxicodone. I will stay on lyrica. I donot like the side effects from the stronger narcotics. The explanation given to me as to why I had this was.....when doing a fusion, moving all the nerves around can cause inflammation and bad irritation. And the nerve flare up is caused S1 radiculopathy. That is what they diagnosed my problem as. It involves the sciatic nerve. I am sorry you are having that pain. Gosh I know all too well how painful that is. I hope to NEVER experience that pain again. I will never forget the pain I was in. Call your doc and let him/her know you are suffering. Don't suffer......gosh i feel bad for you. lemme know what happens. I hope you find relief soon....

LYNN

Last edited by Mod08; 01-28-2009 at 03:35 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

USPS, do talk to your doctor. Some call this "break through pain." Once I was down to just Vicodin, I asked my doctor what to do during those flare ups, for me coming a few days at a time once or twice a month. He said, "you mean break through pain?" He didn't want to give me anything stronger for those times. He's always been so good about giving me whatever I've asked for as far as meds, but he put his foot down when I wanted Percocet for the break through pain. He didn't want me going back and forth between the two meds. I was told to just up my dose during flare ups. That's worked pretty well for me, and I take some Flexiril, too, during those spells.

Everyone is different, of course. Depends on the cause and the severity. Lynn had a really good answer for you. Bottom line is good communication with your doctor. There are some docs out there who don't listen too well, but hopefully yours isn't one of them. Let him know what's going on and ask him what he can do to help you. Don't be silent and keep suffering!

I wish you the best,
Emily

Last edited by Mod08; 01-28-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
(female)

10sox HB User

I wish I had an answer for you....really, I do. But unfortunately that is the story of my life. I have chronic S1 nerve pain and some days it tolerable, and others it is unbearable. I cannot for the life of me figure out what I did differently on the days that it hurst so bad. But I am learning, that is the nature of nerve pain. You really just never know what causes a flare-up. I have an apt. on Tuesday with my PM doctor to talk about this. I am currently on Opana ER (Long acting Narcotic) Hydrocodone and Neurontin. During my flare-ups these don't really touch the pain. I have 2 small children at home so being in bed in pain is not an option for me. I need to find something that calms down these flare-ups.

I am also finding that each persons back reacts to meds soooo differently. What works for you, might not work for me. It stinks. i wish we could all collectively put our minds together and come up with a plan that would work for us all.

I hope your flare-up ends soon.
10sox

Old 01-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
(male)

Les26 HB User

I hope that I'm not breaking any rules here, but I strongly suggest that you call local health food stores and get a product by NaturalCare called "NerveFix"; it helps relieve symptoms of numbness, tingling, burning, nerve pain and pins and needles sensation. I ruptured my L5 disc in 2007, and had foot drop and all that sciatica stuff, and this supplement really does work. I wish you the best...

Closed Thread