It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
(female)

leslie123 HB User
L5-S1 Disectomy in July, 08-Still Have Pain

I had a L5-S1 Disectomy in July and still have some pain Siatic Pain in my buttock and sometime down my leg. There is still some tingling in my foot. Does anyone have any experience with how long this tends to last?

Thanks,

Leslie

Old 01-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #2
(female)

lost70 HB User
Re: L5-S1 Disectomy in July, 08-Still Have Pain

I had the same surgery in March of '99 and I never got rid of the pain. And I'm now dealing with the "domino effect". I have severe DDD and nerve damage from it all. The surgeon said 3 yrs ago that my surgery failed and I'm now on SSD and taking Vicodin 30 mg SR capsules for the pain and Neurontin 800 mg and Cymbalta 60 mg for the pain in my legs. I wish you luck and hope your surgery is a success.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #3
(female)

helly35 HB User

OMG!!! Am so pleased that its not just me being difficult about the L5/S1 microdiscectomy NOT WORKING!!! I had mine done in August last year and am still in so much pain I have been to pain management clinic and changed on to some seriously monster painkillers too, I have a numb foot and toes, and a swollen ankle and cramps in my calf and loads of lower back pain too, I can't turn over in bed at night unless I pull my nightclothes first in the direction I want to go and need a stick to get to the loo, during the day I am supposed to be an active full time working nanny looking after 4 children and seem to be getting by just by the skin of my teeth, I am still trying to walk my lovely doggies in my spare time but am glad its winter at the mo so that I can use that as an excuse not to go out for so many walkies! I have never been an active person and am over weight but am on a strict low calorie diet since Nov as I have gall stones too, no one has ever suggested that my back problems where weight related but I did wonder if losing more weight might help, however, a year into having my bad back I lost 4 stone over a 6 mnth period and my back got much worse, can't win.....I had such high hopes of my discectomy being the answer to all my prayers, and it was very hard for me to arrange time off work in the summer to get it done and recover but I was hoping it would really make a difference to my life, yep, it has made it worse!!! Hope you feel that you are not alone now with your bad back probs, sorry I have no miracle cure to suggest, my consultant now promises me 30% more pain relief with my new tabs, but not much else, am beginning to wonder if I have more than one disc pressing on nerve!!! Good luck, Helly35

Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

PJA47 HB User

Hi. We should start a club! I had a disectomy at L4-L5 in March 2008 because I couldn't sit, walk, or drive without excruciating pain in my right back to hip to down my right leg. Yes right, not left. Didn't work. Did another MRI, sent me for a discogram. Result was an L5-S1 fusion in August of 2008. During this time of figuring out what the problem was, my sciatic nerve was completly pinched off. Now the pain in my back is better except I feel like the tin man, all stiff when I wake up. The one thing they couldn't fix was the horrific pain in my right leg which has also moved to my left leg now. The fusion took and they aren't sure why I still have so much pain. I take 20 mg of oxycontin in the morning and at night. That's how I get through my days. I don't think I had any choice but to have the back fusion. At least I can walk, work, and drive myself now. I just hate the pain and no one seems to know why I still have it or how long I'll still have it. Very frustrating.

Old 02-01-2009, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

themommaoffour HB User

tell me about it I had the very same thing. L5 L4 discectomy lamenectomy july 07 and have been dealing with worst pain and leg numbness ever since. I guess I'll have to be a pill head for the rest of my life. It is very difficult and frustrating, I have four beautifull babies to care for and it guess all to be a little to much at times. I just wish people around me would be a little more understanding. They assume that being dependent on meds equals addiction to meds. Argg oh well I can still move and love my babies, it's all good. Thanks for the ear and your stories, best of luck.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
(female)

10sox HB User

Can I join your group too?

I had my first discectomy on L5-S1 in Dec 05. The second was Oct 08. I still have the horrific sciatic pain in my right buttock and down the leg. I am told my nerves were damaged very badly and the pain is probably not going away.

I am hoping this is not your case and your nerves are just taking their time to heal.

Good luck.
10sox

Closed Thread