It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #1
(female)

gacossey HB User
Post ALIF surgery - Distended stomach

Hi, I had ALIF surgery on Jan 20th, so 12 days ago. They went in thru thr front of course, the flipped me over to do a partial laminectomy & partial diskectomy to fix a pinched nerve. I get my 12 back staples out tomorrow. I'm concerned w/ my huge distended belly by the front incision, is this normal, since they "moved" my organs around etc?

Old 02-01-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: ALIF surgery - Distended stomach

hiya gacossey...

I had ALIF surgery dec 16, and if I remember right, my belly was distended a lil. I am quite sure it is normal. Between the incision and the movement of your oragns, I am sure it is normal. Also, constipation will make it like that. I dont know about you, but thats been a major problem for me. How are you doing other than that? Recovery going good for you? I hope you are having a good recovery..

LYNN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-02-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

zeroman HB User

I had an ALIF and I had a distended belly also. its partly because of them moving the organs out of the way and party because they "inflate" your abdomen to make room.

I dont recall offhand how long it was distended but I think it was a couple weeks before it started to look more or less normal.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

I looked about 6 months pregnant after my 360 fusion. It took quite a while before that distended belly went down to normal. It's completely normal for this to happen. Don't worry. It'll go back to normal after a while.

How are you doing otherwise?

Emily

Old 02-06-2009, 07:37 AM   #5
(female)

JDot HB User

I also have a very distended belly following an ALIF on December 31st. It is quite normal to have swelling for a while after any abdominal surgery. Constipation absolutely contributes to the overall swelling, as well.

Hope your recovery is moving along as smoothly as possible!

JDot

Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 AM   #6
(female)

gacossey HB User

Thanks for replying ! My back is finally feeling a lot better, not as much constant aching/pressure, now it's mostly my front insicion & sore muscles. So I've borrowed my mom's prune juice, lol ! I had both ALIF & then partial laminectomy & diskectomy so it's been bothersome w/ incisions on front & back ! I plan on starting walking some this week so hopefully that'll help....

Old 02-07-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
(female)

gacossey HB User
Smile Re: ALIF surgery - Distended stomach

[QUOTE=zeroman;3871201]I had an ALIF and I had a distended belly also. its partly because of them moving the organs out of the way and party because they "inflate" your abdomen to make room.

I dont recall offhand how long it was distended but I think it was a couple weeks before it started to look more or less normal.[/QUOTE]

sorry, getting used to this board, was trying to reply to everyone who replied to me ! I think I've heard them say "moving my organs around" more than in my entire life ! Guess that makes sense....one day at a time !

Old 02-07-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

gacossey HB User
Smile Re: ALIF surgery - Distended stomach

[QUOTE=BlueAtlas;3871242]I looked about 6 months pregnant after my 360 fusion. It took quite a while before that distended belly went down to normal. It's completely normal for this to happen. Don't worry. It'll go back to normal after a while.

How are you doing otherwise?

Emily [/QUOTE]
I'm getting better every day, can definitely tell my back is not super aching like it was, just my front incision & cut muscles hurt me, but i'm getting out of bed better....I just miss sitting ! max of 15 mins at a time & no more than 4 times a day..planning on starting slowly on my treadmill on Monday....walked around walmart w/ my mom yesterday & that really wore me out....

Old 02-07-2009, 10:42 AM   #9
(female)

gacossey HB User

[QUOTE=JDot;3876267]I also have a very distended belly following an ALIF on December 31st. It is quite normal to have swelling for a while after any abdominal surgery. Constipation absolutely contributes to the overall swelling, as well.

Hope your recovery is moving along as smoothly as possible!

JDot[/QUOTE]

so are you doing good now ? Yeah, I had to snag my mom's bottle of prune juice, YUK but figured that would help....i'm pleased with how my back seems to be healing, just all those restrictions to deal with & I have 2 kids, almost 5 & 7, so it's hard to not do all the stuff i'm used to !! I'm thankful to have come this far already...thanks for your info !!!

Old 03-07-2009, 07:44 PM   #10
(female)

gacossey HB User

Just thought i'd post again as it sure is good reading everyone else's conditons & surgeries...I'm not alone ! I'm now 7 weeks post ALIF & part'l laminectomy/discectomy...I have to agree my mind wants normalcy so bad ! I resccheduled my 1st check up from last wedns til this wedns 3/11 as I just didnt feel ready to hear "go back to work" even if I could go 1/2 time. Now just in those few days I do feel better, altho I do take vicodin pretty regularly. I try to last as long as I can, and it's mainly a really deep achy pain down low, obviously where the work was done. To be honest, i sleep horribly & once about 5 or 6am hits, thats my worst, and I assume as it's because I've been laying in bed for so many hours as well as my meds have worn off. Sometimes an ice gel pack really really helps. I thought the heating pad was, but definitely early in the morning, I'd suggest trying one of those reusable gel freeze packs. I have 2 kids 5 & 7 1/2 and thank God for my husband who has done so much in getting them around everywhere as well as TRY to keep up with laundry & dishes. My "grabber" is the world's best invention. I do find myself once in a rare while bending or twisting, and makes me mad thinking I'm just hurting myself. I'm anxious for my appt on Wednes to see what type of restrictions now, or what i can do. I have a brace which looks like a white corset I wear when I'm up & about. I've been actually doing my treadmill the last 2 weeks up to 30 mins, which is about 1 1/4 miles. I figure that has to help.
I'd appreciate anyone following up maybe on what to expect this next stage, 8 weeks out and anything to look out for ? I still havent driven.
Thanks & good luck everyone...feel free to write back.

Closed Thread