It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
(female)

sarahp1975 HB User
Need revision surgery.

Hi everyone,
I havent posted here for a long time, as ive had log in problems.
I had my hybrid procedure in August (fusion L4-5, Adr L3-4, congenitaly fused L5-S1).
To cut a long story short, there have been a great deal of problems, I knew at about 6 weeks post op that something was not quite right, as my pain levels were increasing every week, despite doing everything correctly in recovery.
I saw my consultant at 6 weeks, and it was first thought that I had scar tissue pressing on the S1 nerves, so I had nerve block injections, which thankfully took the pain in my legs away, I had foot drop too so my right leg would just give way when walking.
My pain was still increasing, and at my last scan my consultant saw no fusion at all amongst other things, and due to still being hypermobile im at risk of breaking the hardwear and still have alot of pain in my central lower back, so Im set for a revision surgery in April using the legacy rod system and some further screws to stabilise the fusion.
Predominantly however most of the sever pain I have is at the sides of my back and in my hips, and its also been discovered that my facet joints are worn, my surgeon assumed that this was at the fusion site, but sadly this has been found to be at the disc replacement site, Ive had facet joint injections which have been unsuccessful.
Im finding it all very hard at the moment, as I am positive that the revision will help a great deal and reduce the central pain in my back, but im really worried about the adr site, as I know that my options are very limited, and I may also need revision surgery to stabilise the adr, but this is something that is relatively new.
Im still shocked that my surgery has failed on both levels, and that sadly my pain is alot worse, I do try hard to battle on and keep positive and 'keep my chin up' but im finding it all really tough going at the moment.
I miss my life, and my job, and ive lost so much of me, its hard to keep positive self esteem as I feel that i have nothing interesting to offer, and im a burden.
sorry for rambling on, and thanks so much for listening, im sorry if it comes accross as im a bit down,im not usually, just having a challenging time.
warmest wishes
sarah x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2009, 05:00 PM   #2
(female)

sarahp1975 HB User
Re: Need revision surgery.

Hi everyone, (anyone?)
I have just got a date through for my revision surgery, (legacy system at failed fusion site)
I will be going in on the 20th April, so at least I know and we can start to plan things for post op recovery again.
kind regards
sarah

Old 02-15-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi Sarah.....

I am so sorry you are having the problems you are having. I wish the best in your up-coming surgery and your recovery. Come back and let us know how things are going when you are able....Good luck....

LYNN

Old 05-11-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
(male)

deviphish HB User

Sarah - I hope all went well with your revision surgery , how did every thing go ?
I had a 2 level fusion in 08 , and may need revision surgery as well.
Doctor says i may need to have my l3-l4 worked on , all ready had l4-5 , l5-s1 fused.
My doctor did mention ADR , if needed : going in for a discogram on 5/14/2009.
If tests come back , like i think they will - - My doc. said i may be a candidate for ADR , OR a possible 2nd fusion ?

Hope fully your surgery is taking and you're in less pain !! If you have any advise for me it would be appreciated , looks like we have similar stories and I CAN ALWAYS USE SOME X-TRA HELP..

THANKS AND GOD-BLESS
DEv

Closed Thread