It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
(male)

beaniebaby03 HB User
asymetrical???

hiya all,
was wondering if anyone could explain what asymetrical means re,spinal fusion for scoliosis.
Basically,i had fusion 2 years ago (l1-t6),and have had nightmare back pains over the last 6 months,in my lower back.
I went to an appointment with my consultant tuesday,and after checking my lower back,and where i pointed the pain was,after several times bending forward,and him feeling individual vertabrae,he said something about asymetrical,and has now referred me back to an osteopath.
I have read somewhere that after fusion,the lower vertabrae,which havnt been fused,can start to take the brunt of the upper vertabrae being fused together.
Would appreciate anyone who's been in this situation for advice.Am now taking double the dose of medication,and am now on amytripoline to help me sleep due to the back pains i get waking me up every ight...
Sorry to be blunt,but i sometimes wish id not had the surgery!!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: asymetrical???

Hi Beaniebaby, and welcome to the board. I'm sorry you need us, but glad you found us. And I hope we can be of some help.

Asymetrical means that things aren't the same on one side of the area as on the other. They are not the mirror image of each other that would be expected. It does sound like maybe the lower vertebrae are suffering from taking the extra pressure from the sections above being fused. The osteopath should be able to do some tests that will give you some answers. That was actually a rather small fusion for scoliosis. I was fused T4-L4 the first time. My lower lumbar broke down 30 some years later after I got early onset osteoporosis. Most people really do fine for the rest of their lives if they're careful after fusion for scoliosis. Seems like you and I are in the unlucky minority!

You may end up needing another fusion. I hope not, just because it's a pain in the neck to go through, but if you do, don't despair too much. You'll heal, and probably quickly as it sounds like you're young. You'll need to be careful of your back, something I was never cautioned about. I did way too much over the years, including foolish things like moving a large window air conditioner all by myself. Stupid me! Live and learn...

I hope your appt with the osteopath goes well. Please come back and let us know what he says.

I wish you the best,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-05-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
(male)

beaniebaby03 HB User

Thanks for the response emily,
my main concern was that i may need surgery again,which i wouldnt look forward to tbh.
My 1st surgery was fine,but it was the large blood clot they found a week later,apparently,leaving lucky to be alive as it was a massive clot,leaving me on warfarin for a year!
I hope the osteopath can work his magic,and get the problem resolved,and am taking it easy anyway,not much chance of doing things when im spaced out on the painkillers for hours on end...lol
Im crossing fingers everything turns out ok,i was just dumbstruck when i had told the consulatant about the area of pain,and within seconds,he'd got his thumbs digging in my back,asking me if that was the spot,as he continued to tell the other spinal fellow about the problem it may be.
Nothing was explained to me about what it could be,but like i said in my 1st post,i just heard the word asymetrical(sorry if its spelt wrong),and was told i'd be referred to the osteopath..
Thanks for the input though,great forums here,and people who have the same problems are a huge huge bonus!
BTW,young?,im 36,heck yeah....im still young...lol

Old 08-26-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
(male)

beaniebaby03 HB User

hi all,
Well an update from the earlier post i made.Basically,ive had 6 sessions with the osteopath to no avail.He explained that the problem i was having is from a lower vetrabrae.He said apparently our vertabrae have wings or something,and when i bend,instead of thm bending as they should do,they are moving outwards,as opposed to up and down???,if someone could elaborate,id be very greatful.I am also still suffering from hot groin pains,in my right leg,to which my gp has done nothing,but to keep giving me tablets to take,saying,its probably related to my back!?
To be honest with you,im getting pretty fed up now,of nothing being done,and me just bing given medication to relieve the pain.
Could the groin pain be related to the scoliosis?,and if so,is there anything that can be done to help this ease up a little?

Closed Thread