It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2009, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

wikaway HB User
hardware causing pain?

Has anyone heard if the hardware(screws and rods) could be the cause of chronic back and leg pain following lumbar fusion surgery? I had a 2 level fusion in October 2006. I am so sorry I ever had the surgery. There was too much pain and has just increased my pain. I had a discogram before surgery and that doc said I would be helped by IDET but insurance probably wouldn't pay for it. I had a previous IDET that did help for about 3-4 years. My original diagnosis was degenerative disc disease. I wish I had undergone IDET. My life is gone, I used to be very active and now I really don't go anywhere. I hope someone out there reads this and can help.
Mary

Old 02-05-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: hardware causing pain?

Hi Mary,
Yes, hardware can indeed be a source of pain. With continued pain that seems to have no other reason to explain it, the hardware may end up being removed as a last resort. I've had hardware removed twice. It's no picnic, but nothing like the fusion surgery! A lot of people get relief from having it out. Has your doctor suggested that yet?

I hope you get some relief from your pain.

Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2009, 05:30 AM   #3
(female)

babyboomer6 HB Userbabyboomer6 HB User
Re: hardware causing pain?

Ihad a double fusion with all the hardware(two cages,screws and rods). Anyway, I had this done in July of 2006. And I am almost housebound too. I am on lots of pain meds. I had a MRI taken about a year ago,and they said it looked like above all the harware, another disc had collapsed. However, they advised no more surgery. This was a different surgeon than the one in 2006. So I have just been living with the pain. But I know that the hardware causes a lot of problems. I just don't think I want anymore surgerys. And have heard that sometimes it doesn't help to take the hardware out. So we are kind of in a dilema of sorts. I hate to be this way too. Pain meds help sometimes. I am accually thinking of a pain pump. And that is drastic. But the pain is wearing me out. I hope someone else will have some better advice than I. I just wanted you to know this is a common problem I think. Good Luck and lots of prayers for you! babyboomer6

Closed Thread