It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
(female)

tami36 HB User
Question 38 Days out from 2 level fusion at L3-S1

I am now 38 days out from my 3 level fusion. I had to go into in patient rehab for physical therapy about two weeks after my fusion. i just got home Tuesday of this last week. And I am just now being able to get around with a walker with someone walking behind me. While I was in Physical Therapy I was in the walker until they were doing rehab with me. I was in there for 20 days or so. I am still on a lot of medication and I am still in a considerable amount of pain. Has anyone had this happen to them? Also, has anyone used a tens unit to help with the pain?

Thanks ahead of time.
Tami36

Old 02-08-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User
Re: 38 Days out from 2 level fusion at L3-S1

Hi Tami,
I was still in a fair amount of pain at the stage you're at. That's to be expected. Keep up with your pain meds and walk as much as you're able, even if it's with the walker.

I do use a TENS unit, but I didn't get it until about 6 or 7 months post op. It helps, as long as I don't use it too much. I was told to use it only twice a day for not more than 30 minutes. Since I don't work anymore, I save it for use at church so I can get through the services with sitting longer than I normally can. Reserving it for my hardest times makes it keep it's effectiveness. My therapist said if I use it too much, my nerves will get used to it and it won't work for me anymore.

Hopefully, you'll be having less and less pain pretty soon now, maybe within a few weeks. You may be able to hold off on getting the TENS unit, unless they're thinking you're definitely not going to end up being able to manage residual pain with meds.

How are your spirits?

Please let us know if you have other questions, and we'll do our best to try to help you from our own experiences. Hopefully, others will chime in on this post for you, too.

Take care,
Emily

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
(male)

jackpate HB User

[QUOTE=tami36;3877898]I am now 38 days out from my 3 level fusion. I had to go into in patient rehab for physical therapy about two weeks after my fusion. i just got home Tuesday of this last week. And I am just now being able to get around with a walker with someone walking behind me. While I was in Physical Therapy I was in the walker until they were doing rehab with me. I was in there for 20 days or so. I am still on a lot of medication and I am still in a considerable amount of pain. Has anyone had this happen to them? Also, has anyone used a tens unit to help with the pain?

Thanks ahead of time.
Tami36[/QUOTE]

HI I AM HAVING A 3 LEVEL FUSION ON MARCH 3 RD. HOW LONG DID YOUR SURGERY TAKE? I HOPE YOU GET TO FEELING BETTER SOON . WE WILL KEEP YOU IN ARE PRAYERS.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 PM   #4
(female)

DelawareGirl HB User

I had 3 level fusion and used the walker for several months because my balance was really off. I was afraid I would fall. I was walking almost 2 miles a day with it. I was in a considerable amount of pain for a while but it has slowly gone away. I am almost pain free but you have to be very patient. This is still a challenge to me. I don't have a tens unit. I took dilaudid for the pain and it worked pretty well.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 PM   #5
(female)

tami36 HB User

It has now been 5 1/2 months since my surgery. I had a blood clot form in my right lung on Feb 11 mine and my husbands 20th anniversary. I was put back into the hospital for 3 to 4 days in ICU. The Doctors told me that if I had waited even one more hour that I may not have made it through this. I can't believe this happened after making it through the fusion on my lower back. They said that when I was in the rehab hospital that they did not move me or let me move enough and the blood clot started forming more than likely when I was in there. it was a very big clot but luckily it was in my right lung and not my left. has anyone had this kind of thing happen to them after thier back surgery. I am still on nerve and pain meds as well as my antidepresant pills and my blood thinner. i still have a considerable amount of pain and I am still not able to walk for very long, because when I do my legs start jerking really bad.

I would anyones reply on this.

Thanks

Tami36

Old 06-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janiee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB Userjaniee08 HB User

Hi Tami! About two days after my multi-level fusion, I threw blood clots as well and they tell me I almost died. They put a filter in me and I stayed in the hospital for about ten days. I also lost 3500cc's of blood (that's a lot of blood). I lost the blood during surgery. I am still in a lot of pain, and in Pain Management. My surgery was in 0ct. of 07. This Thursday, I get yet another caudal injection. Seems like a wild merry-go-round sometimes. If you have any other questions-just ask--janiee

Old 06-15-2009, 07:14 PM   #7
(female)

tami36 HB User

Thanks for your reply. If I had waited even 30 more minutes before going back into the hospital they said that my blood clot could have killed me. Talk about scary.

I guess I am going to have to keep living with pain. I have lived with it for 20 years now from my back injury.

Thanks
Tami36

Closed Thread