It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
(female)

amycate HB User
Depression/ptsd following accident

I've been fairly depressed since the accident. Without getting too personal, I've battled depression on and off in my life. I've been on meds and off, and I'm currently in therapy and not on meds. I had gone off because my husband and I are trying to conceive. I hope my back doesn't interfere with this. Does anyone else battle depression and if so can you message me? I'm feeling so overwhelmed because I'm trying to do everything and we have a small puppy and a new house and lot of work on the weekends. My husband and I are both injured, but since I am more than he is, he ends up doing it all and I feel awful about it. I hate being so restricted with little distraction or escape. I am always at doctor appointments at lunch so I have no time to myself. I'm used to being physical and at least doing yoga which I can't even do now. I miss running so much. My parents got me new sneakers and all this gear which I cant use because I was training for the marathon. I was loving long 10 mile runs, hoping to do a 1/2 marathon in the spring. Now I can't walk w/o paying the conseqences later. I hate it. I feel trapped. We are new to the area and my family is not nearby. My brother and his family live 2 hrs away but they haven't been very helpful or responsive. I want to go on vacation or to see my sister in FL but travelling right now doesn't seem wise - I've got too many appointments and I donít want to see her when I cant enjoy it. Blargh. Sorry, I just wanted to vent. I've been reading, trying to take baths and relax, watch Woody Allen or Steve Martin movies to keep my sense of humor. I'm just getting so depressed. I wish I could take time off from work but I think that would give me too much time to sit and think and also my job is somewhat in jeopardy right now. Because of all I'm going through I'm very distracted and we are having cutback after cutback. I'm overwhelmed emotionally and physically and just really not handling it very well. Also feeling lots of anger and ptsd - i dont want to drive anymore.

Thanks for listening,
amy cate

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
(female)

JanKR HB User
Re: Depression/ptsd following accident

Hi Amy,
I am so sorry you are going through all of this. I responded to your previous post about the accident and can identify with what you are going through. When we were rear ended and had our whiplash episode, we had just bought a fixer- upper and had tons of things that we wanted to and needed to accomplish. It definitely slowed our progress down. As far as our necks with the whiplash, we pretty much did what we could then payed for it later in the day. At that point we resorted to those heat packs that you can throw in the microwave or else those Thermacare things. I had those heat pads all over the house as we were both tensed up, having headaches, and my husband had the jaw problems with TMJ. He was prescribed a muscle relaxer for treatment of that (I think valium was what they treated him with in low doses).

You are very early in recovery from this incident and it sounds like you are doing the right things. Rest, no overuse of the muscles, heat therapy, and definitely avoid doing things that require your arms over your head.

The whiplash gets better over time but is a bear initially to deal with. As for your lower back problems.....what treatment have the docs recommended? Keep moving as much as you can though. You are so athletic I would think you will recover physically quickly from any treatment required. And it sounds like you are dealing with the down time correctly with catching up on your reading, humorous movies. It is tough for these circumstances to occur right after your move. And with a new puppy!! We have an 85 lb yellow lab and my husband has to walk her as SHE walks ME (and ends up pulling my body in directions that don't suit me!). She is so sweet though, after my surgery she seemed to understand that I was injured and walked behind me and didn't jump on me.

I have been depressed off and on throughout my recovery from this surgery. I just consider it a "situational" depression that will resolve as the situation improves and changes. I think you have many factors going on that could precipitate depression. Just stay strong and know that life is about change and this too shall pass. Keep thinking that before long you will be back in training. This is just a "hurdle" to get over.....may take longer than you would like but you will get there. Jan.

Old 02-13-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

lynn1961 HB User

Hi Amy...and jank <you are a doll>

I not long ago posted a post about depresion AFTER a fusion. I ,too, have a depression issue as well. I think it is very normal to be down after being injured < although, I suffer with depression anyways>. It keeps you from doing daily things that a person does on a normal basis. Here is what I TRY to do if i can manage it....is...just slow down. Tell yourself it is OK if something doesNOT get done. Take time to relax. Take time to do for YOU. When injured, your body sets limits for you. Therefore, you cannot get as much done. And you for sure cannot do physical things you are used to doing until you get well. Now, this is exactly where my depression sets in. I enjoy cleaning my home. I enjoy decorating my home. I LOVE working in my yard. Well, right now, I cant do much of anything because I am recovering from a major fusion surgery. As JanK says, "This too shall pass!" Great comment Jan.....

Amy....just slow down darlin. Give your body time to heal. It will get better. After reading your post, you are a very active person, and I can relate to exactly how you are feeling! Continue watching humorous movies and reading good books....humor is great! A great thing for depression. OH...and if you need to cry,by golly do it. Yesterday......I had a moment to where, I cried. I was trying to do something, and I just hardly could NOT do it. I was overwhelmed by the fact my body would NOT let me do what I was trying to do. So, I cried < I felt like a crybaby LOL> And continue to come on this forum. Lots and lots of great people. And come join me and Jank and some more ladies on our cyber get well vacation. LOL <might as well be pretending we are going ha> I wish you well.....and come back anytime. I come to the forum often as I am trying to recover and I read lots of good advice from lots of great people! OHHHHH and 1 more thing I would like to add....good luck on your conceiving......I hope all turns out good for you and hubby

LYNN

Old 02-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #4
(female)

Rolex HB User

amycate,
I am sorry you are going through so much. Back pain is very depressing! My advice to you would be since you are already so overwhelmed with the new puppy, depression, pain and everything, please postpone trying to have a baby until the back is better. A baby is soooo much work and the preganancy could make your back worse....Plus with all the hormone changes could make depression worse. I would postpone until everything else is better.. Babies are so cute but so much work and stress with sleepless nights, expense, etc..This is only my opinion so I hope not offensive.

I hope you are feeling better soon. I know pain sucks!
Take care. and let us know how you are

Closed Thread