It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
Another Update

Hey everyone,

For some crazy reason, the hydromorphone tablets I was given in the ER last weekend do nothing. They are only 2 mg tablets so I'm not sure if that is why. Vicodin, which is supposedly a lot less strong, works better. The valium I was also given makes me hallucinate so I am choosing not to take that at all.
I am seeing a new regular doctor today. I am going to tell her my story and have her refer me to a good surgeon. I also have another appointment with a surgeon on Monday. I spoke with my PT doctor this morning, and he does not think I will be able to do PT at all, and that I need surgery. Pt has caused such a severe flare up and I am now to the point where I can barely take care of myself. He wants the new surgeon, who he knows and says is good, to send him a note of the appointment. I really feel like the PT doctor cares, so I hope I am on the right track now to getting some help for myself.
If anyone has any advice I would love to hear it! I hope the rest of you are hanging in there!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 09:03 AM   #2
(female)

lynn1961 HB User
Re: Another Update

awww meggs.........girl, you are having a tough time huh? Sheesh......the pain med the ER doc gave you is indeed a very potent pain medication. The mg the doc gave you is very weak but............I am sure they are leary giving a high dose of that. I was on dilaudid via IV in the hospital and it definately helped my pain but I dont remember much of being in the hospital LOL..... as far as PT goes, I was going to PT with my neck years ago. On my last visit to PT <before my cervical fusion> my therapist put my neck in traction and on my way home, I was crying in severe pain. So, I called my therapist the next morning and cancelled the days appt and she told me I was not able to get PT anymore. She called my doc and let them know her opinion. After that, I saw my doc in New Orleans and we scheduled surgery from there......so maybe this will be the end of conservative trteatment and a doc will schedule your surgery....sorry nothing is working.

LYNN

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
(female)

mommyof2ak HB User

Megss, hang in there. It seemed like conservative treatment took forever and didn't work for me either. I waited almost 2 years with my pain in my right buttock and right leg before having surgery. I was hesitant for obvious reasons, but I am so glad that I had it done. Mind you surgery was the last last resort, recovery is a long long process, but am still glad I did it.

Sending you lots of hugs during this stressful time. I hope things work out and you hang in there.
I just found this board and am getting great advice and support, I wanted to give some support back. I hope your doctors appt. goes well today.

Like Lynn, I also was on Dilaudid/Hydromorphone via IV and barely remember my hospital stay. I do know that it gave such great pain relief that I was able to get up the night of my surgery and walk about 10 feet. Oral meds have a tendency to work differently for everyone due to individual metabolism. Norco/Hydrocodone works better for me orally as well. Take what works best for you.
(Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion)

Last edited by mommyof2ak; 02-19-2009 at 10:05 AM.

Old 02-19-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Hey guys,

Yes I was given Dilaudid in the hospital, which is the same thing as hydromorphone, in an IV and it made me SOOOO out of it. Thats why I was surprised the tabs did nothing. I think I might try breaking a valium in half tonight, because it does help a lot and helps me sleep really well. Before when I hallucinated, there were witches in my room and they were trying to pull me off my bed. It was SO scary.
I canceled my appointment for today since it was just with a regular doctor. My husband and I decided to reschedule for next week after we see the surgeon on Monday. All she would have been able to do today is give me a referal and meds, but I have plenty of meds to get me through the weekend.

Closed Thread