It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
(male)

dishdope HB User
How did your Sciatica pain start

How painful was your sciatica at first? Did the pain get worse over time? How was it diagnosed? What caused it? How are you treating it and has it been successful?

I ask these questions because I'm not sure if I have sciatica; I have just mild shooting pains down the right leg only. I've had X-rays done that show no irregularities. I'm thinking I may need an MRI next to help diagnose me better.

Thanks for your imput.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:36 AM   #2
(male)

marinefreedom HB User
Re: How did your Sciatica pain start

It was awful for a long time. I injured my back deadlifting in the weight room with no belt. My eyes and ego were stronger than my body. I was laid up for about two weaks on tramadol before it became bearable. I never had surgery because I'm stubborn as an ox. I would go through phases were I felt ok and then the smallest of movements would put me down again. It was always the lower back and left leg for me. Excerise helped alleviate the pain but never made it go away. My doctor suggested a glutathione supplement and I've been pain free for about a month. I haven't done anything different so maybe it's in my head or maybe it really worked. Who knows.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Mine started almost a year ago. I was working in my garden and when I stood up, I had awful pain in my left groin. For awhile, that was my only pain, and it only happened when I stood up. After a month I saw my doctor and he said it was a muscle strain.

Over time, it did get much worse. Now I have constant pain across my lower back, in both groin areas, my butt cheeks, and shooting down both legs and into both feet.

I saw other doctors when it started getting worse and have had an x-ray, MRI, CT scan, and a discogram. I have grade 1 Spondylolisthesis of L5 on S1, a herniated disc at L5-S1, and and annular tear, bulge, and DDD at L4-L5.

I tried all the conservative treatments: injections, chiropractic, massage, oral prednsione 3x, and 2 different PT programs, and nothing has worked, I am only getting worse. So I am having surgery in a month.

I would definately get an MRI. X-rays are not good at showing disc problems.

Old 12-29-2009, 05:45 AM   #4
(female)

NVR2L8 HB User

i have sciatica and have had it since i was 19. i am 37 now. it comes and goes but lately, it has stayed. i have a constant ache in my left butt cheek and down my left leg. when i am asleep, i have to change positions and the pain wakes me up. can't hardly move. i take tramadol/Ibuprofen 800 for it and especially in the a.m. when i get up. if i don't, i walk funny. kinda like to the side. my left hip is way higher than my right because i have to stand different to keep it from hurting.

it sucks but it does get worse over time.

Closed Thread