It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
(female)

Langdon HB User
Removal of rods & pins?

Hi-I have had a lumber fusion surgery 3-4-&5. The rods and pins have remained in my back, and I seem to feel them, also I don't think the surgery really helped me.

Anyway-Surgeon said normally the "hardward" remains in the back BUT if I feel I want it removed he would do so but could not guaranty I would feel better.

Has anyone out there been in this position and if so, did you have the rods and pins removed, and did it help.

Appreciate any help Thanx.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
(male)

Kiahcoco HB User
Re: Removal of rods & pins?

Hi there,
I had lumbar fussion L4 to S1 back in 01. The areas where the rods and screws are, I am numb due to a SCI incomplete which was the reason for the surgery. I had a freind who was very skinny and this doctor liked to make the rods longer than they should be- he had them taken out. You could see them sticking out!

How long has it been since your fussion? Usually they say the removal should be at 18 months post op? I would only do it if you can be sure that removing them would help youur pain. Most of the time, fusions may improve some of the pain but ususally casuses pain in other places. You are not alone in that! I never want to go through another back operation! Good Luck
Kiahcoc
[QUOTE=Langdon;3908204]Hi-I have had a lumber fusion surgery 3-4-&5. The rods and pins have remained in my back, and I seem to feel them, also I don't think the surgery really helped me.

Anyway-Surgeon said normally the "hardward" remains in the back BUT if I feel I want it removed he would do so but could not guaranty I would feel better.

Has anyone out there been in this position and if so, did you have the rods and pins removed, and did it help.

Appreciate any help Thanx.[/QUOTE]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Some people have the hardware removed if they continue to have pain and a cause can't be pinpointed. It's generally a last resort, and those people often do find relief once the hardware's out.

I had my hardware out after my first fusion, and now, 30+ years later, it's clear that I would have been better off if the hardware had stayed in. But I'm a scoliosis patient. For the other types of problems that require fusion, it shouldn't make a big difference whether the hardware stays in or not once you're fully fused. Just do make sure you ARE fully fused before having the hardware out.

I wish you the best,
Emily

Old 03-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #4
(female)

lacyjae03 HB User

Had my hardware removed 6wks ago & the pain is still extreme, not much has changed for me yet. Still in constant pain, with no real relief in sight. I am so sick of the pain & feeling trapped!!!!

Surgeries, injections, accupuncture, alternative therapies & PT has done nothing for me. I hope you do find some relief somehow, but do make sure you are full fused prior to making the decision to remove the hardware.

Good luck & I wish you all the best!

Last edited by lacyjae03; 03-07-2009 at 02:39 PM.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:40 AM   #5
(male)

timmym776 HB User
Smile Re: Removal of rods & pins?

[FONT="Times New Roman"][/FONT][QUOTE=lacyjae03;3910635]Had my hardware removed 6wks ago & the pain is still extreme, not much has changed for me yet. Still in constant pain, with no real relief in sight. I am so sick of the pain & feeling trapped!!!!

Surgeries, injections, accupuncture, alternative therapies & PT has done nothing for me. I hope you do find some relief somehow, but do make sure you are full fused prior to making the decision to remove the hardware.

Good luck & I wish you all the best![/QUOTE]

hello my name is timmy and i am 33 years old and hurt myself at work 6 years ago, i wish i could turn back time i really do! i wont bore you with all the facts but i have had 6 lumbar surgeraries in th elast years and have screws, rods, cages, they took bone from me twice, and now above those sitie are so bad that i have to reopepen mt comp and they just want the cheapest way to get you out the door so please be careful if that is your case. well needless to say i ran the mile in like 5:03 i was a cross country crossstrar had a scholarship and just quit. but i was always a thin man like 165 but fit , abbs, ripped, never saw any of this comming, now i am 33 look 33 but feel so old.... i hope you have so much luck and your pain stops but there is very little hope for me and i can not and will not live on hell on earth! im on 20 mgs of methadone 6 times a day because my insurance is gone cause i couldnt work and it was cheap, 50 mgs of tramadol every 6 hours and still same pain, i reallly dont think i was ment to get fixed. i cant even walk now 10 blocks without wanting to faint. i wish you well i really do and dont give up, im just affraid i already have and don,t know what to do?????? they want more surgery, are you nutss??? that willl be 6 and i just cant handle any more pain , i have no life and to be honest i wish i just felll assllep at night and never woke up... so if i am depressing you, just keep your head up.....

Last edited by timmym776; 04-28-2009 at 03:43 AM. Reason: im so sad, not sure if i can take much more of this

Old 07-08-2012, 12:56 AM   #6
(female)

equinelady12000 HB User

I feel for tu, Timmy. I feel the same way. I am seven weeks.post op. Tri-level fusion 4cages. Two rods 8 screws and a plate. I get around but cant drive more than a couple of miles. At two wks post pp my surgeon said I.could drive..say.???? .I think I am getting.g better but always in pain some things he seems to have fixed this is my second surgery in six yrs. After the first I was left in chronic pain. So finally I agreed to surgery. Listed as.in the top.ten best.spine surgeons.in the US. So I know. He did his best but I had to stay in hospital for 8days. I also have.felt many.times that I would.just go to sleep.and not wake up nut then I think of all the people that love me and somehow. Manage to get up and go another day bit then my husband is retired military so I never have to worry about them not paying for.something. my.Dr peeps.telling.that I will.ride.my.horse again.and in three months I will be so much.better ..
I wish you the best and I do very.much understand how you feel

Old 07-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

teteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB Userteteri66 HB User

I think whoever is telling you that you will be all better in three months is doing you a disservice. I had a three level lumbar fusion two years ago and I am just nearing the end of what I perceive to be "still improving."

Seven weeks is really no time at all when it comes to a multi-level fusion. This was my third surgery so I knew what I was getting myself into....and in many ways it was much easier than my first, one level fusion. I was off all medications by the 10th day because I didn't feel I needed them. My debilitating nerve pain that affected my ability to stand or walk was gone after the 4th day...and even though I am still holding my breath, expecting it to return any day, it has not. I felt so well that my family had trouble keeping me at home during early recovery. I kept wanting to go out for lunch, etc. However, from everything I've seen on boards like this, I think my experience was not the norm. And it was definitely not anything similar to my first fusion where I was quite miserable for months.

That being said, there is no way I would have risked riding a horse at three months. Could I have done it? Probably, but I think it would have been an extremely foolish thing to do because I was far from having a solid fusion at that point.

It takes the body longer to grow new bone cells for many areas than it does for just one. I had BMP for my first surgery, but the surgeon that did my 3 level fusion doesn't use BMP and it definitely took a lot longer.

I don't mean to discourage you. I just want you to not be discouraged if you aren't fully recovered by 3 or even 6 months. Just take it day by day. There's nothing you can do to speed up the recovery. In fact, you can do damage by pushing and doing too much too soon. If you want to be able to resume riding, etc. you would be better off giving yourself sufficient time to fully recover, to let the bone fuse and have time to set up hard and strong before putting all the discs and spinal column under stress.

Do you have a back brace?

Old 07-17-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
(female)

equinelady12000 HB User
Talking Re: Removal of rods & pins?

No I guess I did not put my post correctly. He said that I would be much better in three months. The pain Dr told.me in three to four months I might be able to sit on my horse ha my neuro mist.told.me at my 8 wks post op that I was fusing really well was very impressed with my progress my only issue is the SI joints causing me a great deal of pain had this before fusion and am wondering if the surgery didn't aggravate them again. I am still on pain meds but only take morphine when I can get no relief. I start PTthis week I am very happy with my surgeon and he told me this last appt that maybe,,, maybe then we could talk about getting my.horse. that's.in the.end of Sept. But I don't think I will risk it even tho my mere is and has been my trail riding.g partner all we do.is walk had to give up dresssge.with the first back surgery six yrs ago. My neuro never lied.to.me.about the.pain and longevity of.healing from a tri level fusion he told.me my.surgery.was very.complicated due.to scar tissue left from when I gave my brother a.kidney 32 yrs ago everything was worse once he got in there. I had surgery on a Monday and wed. I think the healing of.my.abdomen has been worse than the.rods.cages.screws.and plate in my back. I don't even feel those
also they remove the rods and screws six to 8 months post.op as the feel they do.further damage to the spine.
have a great day

Closed Thread