It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2009, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User
Unhappy No bowel movments now for a week after surgery-HelP

Sorry but I am miserably uncomfortable and need some ideas-even more.

I've been home from the hospital since Thursday last week I had a lumbar fusion, the fusion was on last monday, and last sunday was the last time I had a BM. had 3 cans prune juice-nothing. stool softners in the hospital and at home- nothing. 2 doses miramax-nothing.
1 dose colace (kinda like ginger ale)- nothing. 3 doses milk of magnesia-nothing. I even ate a half bag dried cherry essence prunes.

I am horribly uncomfortable and getting bad lower pains in my stomach and the pressure I think is causing my nerve surgical pain to flare uncontrollably, at times I can't hardly walk due to the nerve pains in my legs and hip. I've had coffee, salad, macaronis, beef, nothing is working and something hasto soon as it's unbearable to be honest.

I can't 'push' (sorry), and when I do try it just kills my back and nothing happens at all.

My last surgery I didn't go for 2 weeks and was in terrible shape with a huge distended stomach, and had to manually remove bowel from what I could reach as the muscles were completely relaxed and useless down there. I also couldn't urinate last time too so I am hoping this time would be better but it's not- as far as bowel movements go. I am in more pain and uncomfortable stomach wise this time than last, and last time i looked in the last trimester of being pregnant.

I have some of the magnesium citrate (if thats how you spell it) left, was going to drink the rest of it this morning, but truly nothing is helping, not even my boyfriends cooking is making me go. Even that stuff says 1-2 hr to 6 hrs for a BM, it's been since yesterday morning that I drank half of it.

I really need some ideas and help, and to be hoenest I truly can't stop taking the pain meds, they don't even do the job as it is and I only get 1-2 hrs relief of what is to be a 6-8hr pill lenght.

In the hospital I was on diladid, they sent me home with 2 percocets every 6 hrs, nausea meds, muscle relaxers and now sleep pills as I cant sleep due to the pains.

Last edited by marshrose; 03-16-2009 at 06:20 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-16-2009, 09:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

successtory HB User
Re: No bowel movments now for a week after surgery-HelP

Man....cement poo (that's what I used to call it). There are 2 things you didn't mention in your thread. Senokot or Lactulose -- Senokot over the counter, Lactulose is a scrip. Get your doc to write you one. Also...protein will help slough off the dead cells in your intenstines and fiber will help get it out of you. Prunes and fruits & vegies are good so is a lot of water. Stay away from caffeine, alcohol, pasta (bad carbs) & rice. The BRAT diet is a good one (no bananas, rice, apples or toast) as these are binding foods.

If you can massage your back just above your bum...you may be able to help out the cement too--that usually helped me with relaxing the muscles (cause it just hurts so much!). Also when going...try breathing excercises like having a baby (you know....breath in 2 short breaths and out 1 long and repeat). sounds corny, but hey if it works for you too--why not?
SS

Old 03-16-2009, 03:46 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

backhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB Userbackhurtz HB User

You really need to contact your surgeon about this. They are not supposed to discharge you unless your bladder and bowels are functioning on their own. Your bowel can shut down and then you have some serious problems on your hands. I would call your surgeon's nurse and ask them what you should do, or take to help ease the constipation.
Back

Old 03-16-2009, 07:57 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Thanks guys it's just so uncomfortable, I'll call the dr office tomorrow I still havent gone had 2 more glasses prune juice, salad again, and the rest of that magnesuim whatever and it didn't do a thing.

Last time it took 2 weeks and I started getting sick and fevers and my stomach was like I was last term pregnant-literally. I am afraid it's going to happen again and nothings stirring up my stomach to go. This is ridiculous.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

PNo HB User

You need a softener along with your other stuff. Actually at this point I think fibre will only create more pain and stoppage. I personally would not add more fibre until you are going. At the drugstore they also sell glycerine suppositories get some and use now. Phillips Milk of magnesia is common for surgical patients. Everything needs to wake up from the anesthesia.

Old 03-16-2009, 08:48 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

I have milk of magnesia did that too. Didn't do squat and still doing stool softeners as well. I just had another dose of Miramax tonight. Im giving it til tomorrow b4 I call my dr. At this point I'm going to be passing a few screws and rods when I go from pushing so much.... lol

Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

SpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB UserSpineAZ HB User

Call your doctor - sounds like you may need something like a dulcolax (commonly given in the hospital and after discharge) along with prune juice or whatever helps.

Old 03-17-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
(female)

bj08 HB User

If you haven't gone by now you may need to be checked for an impaction-which is what they call stool that you are not able to pass since it is dry and difficult to get started. You can also try warm water enemas (you can use some mild bar soap like ivory to act as an irritant to make you go)but warm water enemas won't hurt you. It's probably preferable at this point not to take any more laxatives etc. since they advise against these if you are having any abdominal pain. It would be best if someone could help you with the enema. Lie down on your side and lubricate the tip of the enema tube and let the water in slowly (get the air out of the tubing before you use the enema bag). If your stomach starts cramping stop the water flowing in by clamping off the tubing). Once you get some water in (whatever you can tolerate)try to hold it for a few minutes (this will help soften up the stool to make it easier to pass when you go). Hopefully the water will give you a good urge to go so you won't have to strain. Having to take pain medications increases the likelihood of constipation or lack of having any stools. Increase your water consumption considerably and it will help.

Old 03-17-2009, 11:50 AM   #9
(female)

JDot HB User

I'm so sorry you've been struggling. Without a doubt, you should call your doctor. He or she may have a simple solution for you. In case this is helpful to you in the future, Miralax can take quite a while to kick into gear. The first time around for me took seven straight days before having a bowel movement. The second time, four days... Enemas are indeed very helpful. However, at this point, I think it has been long enough and you have taken so many products that a call to your doctor is the safest thing to do. Hope this helps.

Take good care!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:37 PM   #10
(female)

vicki19 HB User

I know exactly how you feel. I once went over a week without a BM, but that was before surgery. I wanted to ask, do you feel like its there but it just won't come out? I know, yuk. But I'm about to get very disgusting, but before the stool softeners and laxatives finally helped me I did have that feeling that it was there but I couldn't get it out............so here comes the grossest thing...... I had to help get it out. aackkk.. I can't believe I just shared that! Can I change my name now... Oh, well..... but after that things have been working great and I'm just taking 3 stool softeners a day and I also take Omega 3 which also helps me. I haven't been this regular in years!! Good Luck!

Old 03-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

I called my dr and got a script for a laxative and finalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

duh duh duhhh duhhhh

I WeNT POO!!! lmao sorry I couldn't help myself. I was rather excited and called my mom and told my SO actually.

Yes I know exactly what you mean Vicki too, I too had to do that last time it took me 2 WEEKS to go, and I had a horrible time I could have skipped rocks with what came out and I had bleeding as well. That was my first surgery, this is my 2nd so now I know better!!

top that one lol

Well even though it stirred my back and leg up I do feel and look less disttended and I am sure more is coming - ohh joy- and I am now on the steroids too so that will help with the horrid inflammation in my back I pray.

Thanks everyone! You're there for the worst and best it's kinda like marriage on here isn't it? lol tytytyty

Yesterday I had the rest of the magnesuim sulfate stuff, 2 doses of miramax, 2 cans prune juice, and a dinner of tons of cabbage and some corned beef- so who knows whats helping and GOD KNOWS whats yet to happen from all my trying to take stuff to gooo
omg lol

Last edited by marshrose; 03-17-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:50 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

brendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB Userbrendaks1 HB User

Rosespetal, I'm so glad you are doing better. My father-in-law was just hospitalized recently for impacted bowels, so it can be very serious.

I remember reading a couple of years ago about a study that determined that people who have had surgery have BM's 20% faster when they chew gum for a couple of hours per day. The study said they believe chewing sends a signal to the intestines to get moving since food will be coming their way. I don't know if it really helps or not, but I always chew gum after surgery now.

Old 03-18-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Good idea I will get some and chew during the day as I want to keep the momentum now, I am going to keep taking the miralax too in the mornings, but don't know if I can do it EVERY morning?? or every OTHER morning?? I feel so much better, my last surgery I was nearly impacted (actually I was but thankfully was finally able to reach far enough down there to realize it and how totally relaxed and disfigured my but was to know).

It's just something I hated to haveto post but was terrified of having what happened to me last time to happen again. TYTY lol when I couldnt urinate last time after surgery from rehernation I thought who would of ever thought I'd be so thankful just for the ability to urniate, and now I'm having to be thankful the the ability to have a BM! Life lessons are the strangest and oddest things I swear.

Old 03-18-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Aren't you glad for healthboards, where people really understand and don't think this is weird or inappropriate?! I'm so glad you're feeling better! Chew that gum!!!

Emily

Old 03-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

LOL Blue true true true this is a great place I am glad I stumbled across it in my internet searching for back stuff that's for sure. So many diff posts and catagories for stuff I can spend hours on here while I'm in bed and it passes the day quicker!

Closed Thread