It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2009, 05:05 PM   #1
(female)

charliejames HB User
Question need help and advise on spondylothesis

Hi i am new to this board just found it a few hours ago and have been glued to it reading everybody's different stories i am absolutely delighted that i have found somewhere were people will understand and hopefully offer advice and knowledge because to be honest i am totally confused. I am 34 and was diagnosed with spondylothesis a year ago after struggling for a few years with back pain and pain in legs and feet and basically my legs were just going from below me but because i had three babies in four years they(the doctors) put it down to the pregnancies. I had 3 epidurals and a cse and they all failed. at the end of my last pregnancy i was in a wheelchair. That was 2 years ago after a year of trying to convince the drs that i was not a hypacondriac (please forgive my spelling). Last year i was grade 1 and i was wondering how do you know if you have moved into the grade 2 section this might sound a weird question it is just that i am in so much more pain than i was a year ago and it is getting worse. I am in pain constantly now and am drugging myself just to get through the days, \my children are now 5, 3 and 2 years old so you can imagine how hectic my house is. I feel that it is killing me i can't keep it up much longer i just keep drugging myself and putting on a brave face but when alone i cry i am just feeling that i can't cope. Everything i do is agony sit, stand, lie, walk i am useless and i feel like such a moan. I just feel like my partner and my family think i am a big wuss and that it is not really as bad as i am making out. They have the attitude just take your tablets and get on with it, which is what i am trying to do. I am on a crutch quite often just to get round the house. My surgeon has suggested surgery as the next step but reading some of the cases on here tonight i found out about a brace. Should i ask my surgeon for a brace first and how do i tell if the slippage has got worse is it based on your level of pain? I was advised not to get physio as i have a bulging disc which has trapped nerves and any manipulation could make it worse rather than better. What is decompression?
Oh i have rambled on a bit i do apologise. If anybody has the time could you
please reply i would be really grateful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
(female)

tishey HB User
Re: need help and advise on spondylothesis

I completely understand your pain and frustration! I have been diagnosed with sponsylolysis, pars defect on left and right side of L5 vertebrate, and DDD. I am in round the clock chronic pain and have 2 kids age 4&6 that I want so badly to roll around on the floor and play with but I cant even bend over the bathtub to give them their baths. I too am on a daily regamine of pain meds and misery,just trying to function for my family.I am also only 36 & I have cried myself through many days when any painkiller in the world wouldn't make a dent in the pain, then I have to pull it together to be a good wife and mother, it's really hard. Just try your hardest to take care of you so you are able to take care of your family! best wishes-- TISH.

Last edited by tishey; 03-20-2009 at 05:44 PM.

Old 03-23-2009, 10:39 PM   #3
(female)

In pain In VA HB User
Unhappy Re: need help and advise on spondylothesis

Hi there, my fiance was diasgnosed over 2 years with, spodylothesis and only recently about 2 months ago, was bending over to pick up a 12 pack of drinks felt something pop in his back. He has already been through physical therapy twice with nothing but more pain caused to him. He was finally given an MRI that showed Pars defects. The doctor told him just last week, that and I quote "you will more than likely need a double fusion of l5-s1 and l5-l4. Yes in that same breath she says, I think we should try 6-8 more weeks of physical therapy. And corditsone shots next Friday. My big concern is he will not go through physical therapy anymore, it is causing him more pain than ever. I also read that if you have a moderate to severe spondylothesis that physical therapy can do more harm than good. So, if he in his own right to say, no more physical therapy give me the surgery now, why wait for 2 more months in pain, and risk it slipping forward even more?

Please let me know what you think?

Thanks,
Amy

AKA: In pain IN VA(due to fiance being in pain)

Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

The only way to find out if your slippage has progressed to a grade 2, is to either get another x-ray or an MRI done. I have grade 2 at L5-S1...have had it nearly all of my life, but didn't become symptomatic until I hit my 30's. Heavy weightlifting, specifically 225lb squats, is what did me in. Had I known then, what I know now...I would have NEVER EVER squatted 225lbs on a regular basis!!! I have found fairly good relief by using an inversion table every morning. It's similar to what you'd get with decompression therapy...only it's way cheaper than going to a chiro for it. I bought my table for $270 and it's more than paid for itself for the amount of times I've used it. It completely cured my horrid sciatica in 3 months time.

Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM   #5
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Hi and Hey~lo & welcome to the site...

Sorry to all if this is too long ~ ~

Isn't it the best ~ So glad you were able to find it... I too, found it by accident and it's given me some mental relief to share and read what others are going through. It's sorta given my spouse a break from hearing me go on. No, he's not able to relate to what I go through. Although in kindness, compassion & patience he listens... I do know it becomes too much for him when I see the look on his face resembling [COLOR="Sienna"]The Dull Stare of Dairy [/COLOR][COLOR="sienna"]Cattle[/COLOR]

[U][COLOR="Sienna"]There is Change in you daily life accompanied by Pain.[/COLOR][/U]
One of the rules of mental conduct; pertaining to [COLOR="Sienna"]what you think your family [/COLOR][COLOR="sienna"]thinks [/COLOR]has got to be put in another file folder labled [COLOR="sienna"]" I don't need this "[/COLOR] or [COLOR="sienna"]" I don't care what you think ". [/COLOR]Your main goal is to research, search and find what will best work for you including childern in tow. That includes Dr.s. and Meds. Just because they wear a "White Coat" doesn't mean they know... ~ I do have 2 herniated & another torn disk. L3,4,5,& S-1 and lets throw in a splash of Degenerative Disk Disease ( DDD ) Doc said: "We have to operate !!" ~ My response was, Mmmm ~ why so quick off the cuff. No! I need to do some homework. I've yet to have the surg. It's been 3yrs. I've been able to gather a whole host of helpful alternatives that assist easing pain.
There are times one works better than the other and times they don't. Even up to taking 3 warm/hot soaking bathes a day to ease the body weight off the spine & relaxing the spasming muscles. And am so thankful I have my meds.

I've had to change alot of things that I do and that includes communication. I've also had to come to terms with the actual value of house chores and childern & what is going to make me worse. If during the chore I'm unable to finish ,that's it. It doesn't get done...or it's put off till later or another day when I can accomplish that chore It's taken a bit to get used to the " Not Dones " and I am better for it...Everybody is still alive If someone says something not so supportive. Which I put up with for one day to long. I offer for them to do it. Deligating is a powerful and helpful tool. [COLOR="Sienna"]I No Longer [/COLOR]await a response from anyone person over 10yrs of age. If they haven't gotten the message by now they'd better. If I need to lay down or take a hot bath to relieve pain... Here's the facts said to the adults. This is what I'm doing please take care of the whatever and whoever.. I don't wait for approval or stand there and explain why I need to do something. I'm not a kid. I'm in pain all day.
People do enjoy helping they just don't know how... So, you get to teach em without saying anything or justifying to them.

[COLOR="Sienna"]Some Helpful Tips:[/COLOR] Which you probably already use...
I do ware my brace as oft as I can as it offers support.
Grocery Shopping. Some of the stores offer ordering online or phone with delivery or P.U. ~I request all the time to have all perishable items placed in plastic bags and none perishable in paper.. I bring in the perishables first and leave the rest for kids to assist or partner when they get home or whatever applies.

These are just ideas for you ~ Not that they offer a lot, but it may assist you in sparking other ideas that work better for you. As you work at easing your pain and overwhelming expectations from yourself or family.

There's been so many times I've changed the food menu from Roasted Chix to a warm cup of soup w/ toasted cheese sandwich & fruit. They are all still alive...and very well.. it's me that needs to be the best I can be considering the daily Chronic Pain.

Best Regards to you and yours...

[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Last edited by Drain Bamaged; 03-24-2009 at 02:16 PM.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

Drain Bamaged HB User

In Pain In VA..... Amy ~~
AAAAAAAAwwwwwwww, that is relating to the pain... So touching to read that....
Best Regards: Drain Bamaged

Old 09-01-2009, 05:26 PM   #7
(male)

Dukefootball HB User

I am even worse off so I am very curious as to hearing what you find out. I have severe grade2 and every year the pain changes i get a new condition it was stabbing pain the last few years now i cannot stand for more than a minute feore acid burning starts. I gained 20lbs and was big to begin with I am now on a fasting diet to try to drop 50 to see if it helps. Any thoughts based on what you have heard? My Ortho guy is an old friend and he says I need the cage?? Hard to find the info on the web so many variants. I am a young 49 I coach Basketball (maybe not this season now) I am very active and I am now feeling like a cripple. DId you get an xray? I have mine I can share I would be interetsed in seeing how they compare. I am also starting to search the web for surgeons.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #8
(male)

Dukefootball HB User

I am dying with a grade 2+ cannot even stand The burning! Did you have similar pain? What did your xray look like? Can we post images here? Tell me about your scenario I will get that table if it works

Old 09-01-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
Veteran
(female)

nscrbug HB User

Not sure who you are addressing here, but...I have grade 2 at L5/S1. Yes, I've had numerous x-rays and MRI's to confirm my condition. My x-ray & MRI, very clearly shows my L5 vertebra slipping off the front of my S1 vertebra. My MRI also indicated the severe spinal stenosis and DDD. The pain...yes, I had burning pain in my right leg...primarly below the knee. At its worst, it felt like the skin was being ripped off my bone. Searing, burning, excruciating pain. Posting images is not allowed on this site. The inversion table did help relieve my sciatica...which is the burning pain you are feeling...likely caused by nerve compression of the sciatic nerve due to your grade 2 spondy. I still use my table every single day, because I fear that if I stop using it, the sciatica will return. So far, it has not come back. I still have lower back pain, but it's something I've learned to deal with. I exercise daily, so that helps with the back pain. The more I keep moving, the better it feels. My back feels worse after I sit or lay down (like sleeping overnight) for extended periods of time. When I wake up each morning, my back is incredibly tight and stiff. I have to do a 20-minute in-bed stretching routine, just so I can stand upright.

Closed Thread