It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2009, 07:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User
I'm Home

Everyone!

I am going to keep this short. All went well on Tuesday. I didn't loose much blood and the surgery lasted 3 hours. There was indeed a nerve compression, which all my imaging showed there was none. So I was like "TOLD YOU SO!" LOL!.
As for the pain? Holy Moly OUCH. I didn't expect it to be this bad. I woke up from anesthia in horrific pain, and tried yelling for help but couldn't from the tube that had been in my throat. I was on diaudid, and after the first day they took out my Iv and switched me to oral meds because the dilaudid was making me throw up all the time. It is true though, every day gets a little bit better. I am on Oxycontin 1 tab 2x day, Oxycodone 1-2 tabs every 3 hours, valium every 6 hours, and then I am still taking 3 nuerontin a day.
They made me do a full flight of stairs in the hospital before discharging me because I have to be abl e to do my stairs at home. I am still not eating much, I just have no appetite.
Thats all I can wirte for now, Being up makes me feel sick. But I will check in again when I can!

Old 04-11-2009, 07:14 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User
Re: I'm Home

Ohh Meg I've been looking for you and thinking of you daily since your last post!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so glad you're home, and with the nausea, I am on a generic compazine, 10mg, if you are still nauseas, call the dr asap and ask for compazine to take with your meds, it will help tremendously, that's the only way I can take pain meds. Get hubby to get you a stool softener or miramax and start taking it, the surgery alone is going to constapate you let alone all the pain meds, its best to start taking things now!

I am glad you got validated for your pain with them showing there indeed was a pinched nerve, doesn't it make you feel better (considering everything you're going tho), to be able to say I told you so!!!!!! That was the best for me too!! Relieves some stress like they don't know what you're going tho!!

Each day will indeed get better and better for you, I am so sorry to hear you were so sore when you woke! I too hurt when I woke, and just said over and over I'm in pain I'm in pain and then they handed me that little button to the IV.

Remember, if you notice an enhancening of nerve symptoms and pain going into 2 weeks, its expected, so just rest throu it the best you can, that is when I needed my cane the most. I am so glad to see your post! If it's hard to get out of bed get hubby to get some satin sheets, they work wonders, truly.

REST SLEEP and pop those pain meds, like clockwork, I will await your next post!! You are NOW on the road to recovery, welcome, its only the beginning of the yellow brick road!
Much love!!

Last edited by marshrose; 04-11-2009 at 07:16 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #3
(female)

JanKR HB User

Hi Megss,
Welcome home! Isn't it a relief to have this over with after all the stress of making the decision what to do? Take care of yourself and try to stay on the upbeat. Here's to a speedy recovery!
Jan.

Last edited by JanKR; 04-11-2009 at 09:03 AM.

Old 04-11-2009, 07:34 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Thanks you guys! I still just feel so sick every time I get up and walk around. But I am doing good I think. I went outside today for about 7 minutes, and I had my mom give me a shower. I also did the stairs a couple of times. I forgot to mention the tools I got: toilet raiser, grabber, and shower bench. Also, I am so VERY tired. I could just sleep and sleep. I feel like the days are a blur. Still no BM but things are definately moving. I am tooting a lot. I am taking stool softeners.

Ok back to bed. I wish I could read the other posts, but I am literally so dizzy and tired.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:48 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

LOOKEY YOU MOBILE and doing the STEPS!!! My goodness!! That's wonderful! I did no steps for 2 weeks, did them once for dr appt, then not again for another almost 2 weeks, now I can do them, and sometimes regular instead of stopping on each step.

I too was beat, even now, today I went to the food store (didn't drive), and gimped around WITHOUT my cane today and just the 45 minutes of that I slept for 2 hrs when I got home, and I'm paying for it again now like I always do, let alone seeing family for Easter tomorrow! I guess since I didn't haveto pack the grocieries, put them in and out of the car, AND bring them all upstairs I can't complain, but surely I did hear alot of complaining from my SO and the kids LOL!!!

If your bodies tired you let it just sleep and sleep, the more rested we are the better and faster we heal. My first week was a daze between the exhaustion and pain meds for sure. Take that rest the best you can especially with that lil sweetie you got rearing to go! Glad you're taking the stool softeners, you will be glad that you did when the time comes believe me lol

That is wonderful to see you post so soon I really thought you'd be MIA stuck upstairs for a week or more!!!!!! YOU GO GIRL!!! You're going to zip past me in no time and leave me in the dust!

How long does your mom say your incision is?? Just wondering what you got compared to what I got, mine is almost 6" long, but only on the back.

I am so happy for you, you have no idea, for how much pain you were in and went thou in just the time I've had to read your posts and meet you. Every day to week you're going to feel better and better with improvements. I am so glad the time finally came for your surgery, those last 2 weeks seemed long TO ME for YOU lol!

Get those ZZZzzzz's and rest rest rest! HUGGIES!

Last edited by marshrose; 04-11-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Hi!

My computer is upstairs, so thats why I am able to get on a little more often. I started my period (2 weeks early) and threw up last night so today I am feeling like I am in a set back. The pain is a little bit worse today.
Did you feel congestion in your chest for awhile after? I have been, although it is getting better. It hurts to cough so bad. They were making me do this breathing thing in the hospital to try to prevent pnemonia, and said the mucous was fromthe chest tube. I had just never heard anyone mention that before.
My back incision is about 6 inches long, and my front one is only 2-2.5. The one in front is also not directly in the middle, it is off to the left a little.
I am glad you made it to the store! I can;t even imagine doing that right now.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

I know, but you will see each week will get better and better I've had 6 weeks now. Today whooped me with Easter and going to see my aunt for 2hrs trying to stand and/or sit so I'm really hurting but, I made it (didn't drive lol).

Either way to SIT at a computer is great, I could hardly do that when I got home, especially as soon as you are my gosh!

Your incisions the same size as mine in the back, was wondering I kept thinking mine was big lol so for me.....glad we match.

I too had to do that blowing thing in the hospital, it helps clear out your lungs, I only got a few good coughs in at the hospital, but I was alright when I got home, maybe only a cough or 2, but you were under longer than me, my surgery was about 1 and 1/2 hrs.
If you're coughing TOO much, or it turns to that call the dr to check up with them.

I hate sneezing my gosh, I am living on zyrtec now with the seasons changing.
As for your lil one, I couldn't imagine picking her up, even now at 6 weeks, I tried to move over a 12pk case of soda and it killed my back when and after I tried 2 weeks ago, so now I don't touch anything but the half gallon of creamer for my coffee.

I was very excited to get to goto the grociery store even thou I was dyin after and today some, and slept like a baby for 2hrs when we got home yest, and last nite, and I slept today too from seeing my aunt, for about 3 hrs. I'm whooped.

I take the 10mg percocet still if I am doing something (like grociery store, go for mini 'walk', and today w/ aunt) other than that the around the house ups and downs laying I take 10mg Lorcet (which is a stronger hydrocodone than vicoden). Even thou it doesn't get RID of the pain, it knocks it down a notch or 2. Once I really get sore even the percocet doesn't really make me that comfortable, only laying down for about an hr or so will help on some days, it's a crap shoot for me, but each week improves alittle.

Thank goodness they make those toilet risers aye?? I'm still using mine, I have 2 bathrooms, so on occasion for the past week or so I've tried the regular toilet but, it's hard to get back up let alone to use the sink counter to try to get down to the stupid regular toilet lol

Once I started trying to get around alittle, I noticed my incision area would swell, so for about a week I used ice packs, but the gel kinds that are great and conform to your back and they stay colder longer, ace makes them, I got them at the food store, so you may want a few of those soon depending, just remember.

Well I am off moms whipping out cake LOL! Time to get out of bed

Keep up the good work!

Old 04-13-2009, 10:17 AM   #8
(female)

Mommev38 HB User

Welcome Home Megss! Glad to hear everything went well. Take it easy and let them wait on you! Thinking of you and praying for a successful recovery! Tami

Old 04-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

PS- getting tired is now an understatement, between the grociery store 2 days ago, and sleeping for 3 hrs and thru the nite, then Easter yest at my aunts for 2 hrs and sleeping for 3 hrs, I slept thru the nite until 1:00 this afternoon Talk about EXHASTION I get beat so easily this is amazing, I can't believe it. I am thankful I GOT to sleep thou, only woke here and there due to pain, so, it was true sleep!! FINALLY

How are you doing with the nausea and dizzyness today??

Little by little give it time and rest and sleep and don't push yourself whatsoever

At the beginning of my2nd week was when I was noticing a downward slide, you are almost at that time I think? close?
Just dont get discouraged this week, and just rest and pop the pills and get thru this week, it will come back, the feeling of getting better, this is just alittle set back so relaxx and sleep the best you can!

Last edited by marshrose; 04-13-2009 at 12:42 PM.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:53 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

Hey Megss, and welcome home! Yay that the compressed nerve has been released! You must be elated!

I had no appetite either, for quite a while. Eat what you can and make sure whatever you take in, since it won't be much, is healthy. Your appetite will come back. Take it easy and just rest as much as you can. The meds are going to make you tired, plus, of course, just healing and dealing with the pain. Everyday will be a little better.

Did you bring home your breathy thing from the hospital? It's called an incentive spirometer because it's supposed to give you an incentive to take deep breaths. When you're lying down for extended periods of time and when you're in pain, you tend to take more shallow breaths. Because of that, mucous can start accumulating in your lungs. If it gets infected, it can turn into pneumonia. The spirometer is preventive. If you can take really deep breaths periodically, it will help clear out that mucous and prevent pneumonia. Ideally, use it once an hour for 5-10 breaths. If you didn't bring the spirometer home, you can still take deep breaths on your own. For the best effect, breath as deeply as you can and then hold it for a few seconds.

I hope you're feeling a bit better today. Surgery can mess up your hormones, so that's probably why you got your period early. Once it's past, at least you won't have to deal with it again for a while. What a pain in the neck, huh? I'm glad your mom is there to help you. What a blessing!

Hang in there, Megss. It just gets better from here!

Emily

Old 04-13-2009, 04:14 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Hello-

Emily I did not bring the breathy thing home, but the cough is getting better. Thanks for explaining it out to me, I was confused about it.

Rose my nausea has not improved. I only throw up about once a day, and it is not the same time each day so I can't figure out the trigger. I asked today for some anti nausea meds and they said NO! She said the doctor wants me on as little meds as possible. I thought that was mean.

Still no Poop.. My mom got me suppositories today and I have yet to try it. As for right now I am doing Citracel, stool softeners, and lots of fluids.

I am sad because my little girl has started to prefer other people over me, and she is hesitant to come near me. I know its because I scared her in the hospital and everyone is telling her to be gentle with me. (Twice now she has kicked me in the stomach right near my incision). She is with my mom or hubby's mom a lot, and she isn't excited to see me anymore. I haaaven't been able to take care of her very well or really play with her for a long time.

My incisions are very swollen. The front one is REALLY swollen. I am afraid ice will hurt. When is it that we can try advil?

Tami post about your appointment tomorrow! Good luck!

Old 04-13-2009, 08:57 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

BlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB UserBlueAtlas HB User

No Advil until you're fused. It'll take a few weeks for the swelling in the front to go down. I looked like I was about 6 months pregnant after my surgery! Do you use the pillow trick on your front incision? Use a little firm throw pillow or folded up blanket to press gently over the incision when you need to move, cough, etc, to keep it from hurting so much. I can't remember if I told you about that before your surgery. So simple, but a lot of nurses don't think to teach it to you.

How old is your daughter? She'll be preferring you again before you know it. She's probably frightened right now, and maybe confused. Give her a little time and yourself some healing time, and you'll both be back to your normal relationship. I bet you can't wait to give her a big strong hug! That's gotta be hard! Hang in there!

Emily

Old 04-13-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

The secretary doesn't know crap, call and ask for the DOCTOR to call you. "More pills" doesn't count for nausea meds after a major BACK SURGERY on 2 diff strong pains meds.

Its the pain meds, I would get waves of nausea, and also this immediate ready 2 puek hurl, It would come in 10 seconds flat, and IF I had food in me, that was the end of that.

The throwing up is going to make your insicisions hurt more of course, and swell.

The advil I doubt at all, you are already on the 2 pain meds that are combo'd with tylenol in them, your liver is going to get a workout as it is. I would staple that person on the phones but to the wall if I were you, thats absolutely ridiculous, its not like you're asking for more of 'pain meds' to take atop of what you're taking, its TO take the pain meds.

I'd call tomorrow and say I've been vomiting every day, which is making my incisions swell alot, and hurt even more. Get that one on the phone GOOD and ask her name for when u see the dr- you have a 2 week appt coming up?? when is your first post op?

I feel for you with the little one, in another week or 2 you'll be able to do alittle more, and possibly get to be around her more in little intervals, she'll come right back around, you just will give her the green light, for now I know it's upsetting but, this is what we haveto do. When my daughter was 2 she broke my nose! She flung her head back, they taped it in place at the dr office, and I couldn't lift or play with her for 3 weeks at least if she bumped it it would have had to been set, and she did the same thing to me then, and once I was feeling better, we played for a few hrs and she came right back around.

Ice helped me for my back incision with the swelling alot, it didn't apply it right on the incision, but in a throw towel and just the coolness of that helped the incision when I'd lay down. My back started to look all weird with the swelling on the days I was trying to get up more to goto the bathroom and eat etc.

My first surgery I had no poop for 2 weeks, my stomach distended to nearly 8 months looking preg, and I started to get fevers and then one night out of the blue I had to go and it was constipated aweful hard to pass and horrible, but that was also after I had found out I couldn't urinate in the hospital and something w my bladder, so maybe my bowels were also dealing with that.

This surgery I went on the 12th? day? Much easier to pass, and I ate alot of prunes flavored with strawberry essence, and drank ALOT of prune juice, if it's cold you can chug a big glass or 2 and that would do the trick for me and still does if I am getting constipated again.

I went CONSTANTLY after my first time this time, and for a week straight more than 3x a day sometimes, my body caught up to all that stuff I put in it!! So do it in moderation with the extras to make you go, I did everything there is on the market, and nothing started it, but once it DID start, I went tons more and constantly from it still being in my body! It took a good 2 weeks for me to not be up at 5am on the toilet constantly all morning.

Flushable wipes are my best friend now, it makes it so easy since it's so hard to reach back there to begin with to wipe, and showering is harder and I don't shower every day, so those work great. I may keep using them after all this LOL!!! You feel fresher!

Well as it's 1am and I woke for my pain pills and they are starting to kick in finally, I will put this bad laptop back next to my bed and get some ZZZZzzzzs.

Set that person straight at the dr's office tomorrow. And get those ace gel pack hot cold ice packs, they are great.

Last edited by marshrose; 04-13-2009 at 10:22 PM.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:40 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

megss HB User

Hey,

I look pregnant as well from the swelling and constipation! LOL!

I just tried a suppository so we will see if that helps. Rose, you arre right, I seem to be in a little set back, hitting the start of the 2nd week. I am in pain today, big time. My husband has been making me cry because he is mean to me sometimes about having to help me. Grace had a poopy diaper this morning and I needed him to change it since I cannot lift her onto her changing table and I was in too much pain to stand there. He yelled "fine I'll do it but it's your fault if I am late!". There have been different episodes like that. He is mad because he is having to do the cleaning and the laundry, cooking, dishes, child care, ect, and help me get juice and meals and things. I told him he is getting a little taste of what it is like to be me when I am healthy. Because its true, I have always done EVERYTHIING. He is such a baby and I am so mad at him and hurt. He didn't call to check on me during his lunhc break today. Oh Emily, Grace is 19 months.

So I didn't take any pain killers all night long last night. I woke up MISERABLE though, and can't seem to get my pain under control today. I did walk out side a little because it is so nice here. I wanted to check to see which plants are coming up. I also noticed lots of weeds sprouting, but that made me happy.

Alright off to lay down!

Old 04-14-2009, 01:46 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

marshrose HB User

Ohh now is not the time to ease up on pain meds NO NO NO, you're way too early, and this is the beginning of your 2nd week, just keep taking them like you have don't try to rough anything believe me. But did you feel less nauseas today?? maybe it was a good test for you??

As for hubby, rude awakening eh? This is only the beginning, so he's going to haveto grin and bear it and complain all he wants, you had MAJOR BACK SURGERY I'm sure he's stressed with the new to do list, but hay, thats what marriage is about. Tell him about me at SIX WEEKS and still could not fathom lifting Gracie, diaper, MAYBE but even that she'd haveto be on the couch and me trying to squat to change her, but it is feasible, but no way could I lift her- didn't you say she's nearly 30 lbs?? HECK NO NEVER.

Great you got to go outside! I didn't today, way too sore, its pending rain here and I'm creeking, the weather really does me in too I see, not as bad as when I over do it but.

Well don't ease up on your meds, once you let some pain creep in its very hard to get it away again, and if you're swelling apply ice, it truly does help SOME of the inflammation go down, i'm not sure for your belly with the surgery inflammation and no poopin but, it may help alittle and its very soothing, at least it was for me.

Feel better, this is a harder week, so just keep the faith, and know that in a few days it's going to let up. Toward the end of the week you'll be back on track and noticing improvements like you were noticing, this is just a mini pause, I hated this week you're going into, I was getting accusumed to feeling the little bits of getting better, but, you'll get thru it, and tell hubby what you're feeling tonite, cuz he going to be helping out for AWHILE, if he doesn't, you're going to hurt yourself and hurt the surgery, and you may wind up NEEDING IT AGAIN if you don't do things right THIS TIME, let him know that TOO!

Last edited by marshrose; 04-14-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Closed Thread