It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Back Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 09:47 AM   #1
(female)

magpie1970 HB User
Traction for Lower Back Pain

I have isses with L4-S1 and am currently in physical therapy. The therapist has done traction 2 times for my pain and after the procedure, it feels fine. However 1-2 days after I can't even move due to the pain being so bad. No position I get into helps alleviate the pain. I am out of my pain medication until the end of the month and only have my diazepam and lidocaine patches.

Anyone here have any suceess with traction or should I ask the therapist to try something else and tell him about the pain?

Old 04-20-2009, 11:02 AM   #2
(female)

choxzy HB User
Re: Traction for Lower Back Pain

Definitely tell your therapist about the increase in pain you are experiencing after traction. The idea of therapy is to help you, not make things worse! And not every therapy works for every body.

I tried traction in therapy about 3 times, IIRC. While I don't recall it ever making me feel worse, it certainly didn't give me any lasting results that made me want to continue to pursue it. If you feel like it's making things worse for you, I'd say it's highly probable that it is!

Sounds like it may not be the right thing for your body and you should definitely speak with your therapist about exploring other options.

Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

Thanks, I'll try to work up the gumption to let him know that I would like to try something else. I feel wierd telling a doctor/therapist that I think that what they are doing isn't working because to me it sounds like I'm telling them that they don't know what they are doing. Know what I mean?

Anyhow, I have an appt in the morning and I'll try to approach this.

Old 04-22-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ibake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB Useribake&pray HB User

[COLOR="Navy"]I am in my 4th year of therapy for my fused back. If you don't tell your therapist was has happened since your last visit-and this is according to what my PT tells me- they cannot adequetely help you. It's a guessing game for them if you don't tell them. They can only guess that it worked the last time and move on from there.

So yes, you need to tell them that it only worked for x length of time then you got incredibly sore after that. That gives them a whole wealth of information to work with in tailoring the program to your specific needs. After all, you are PAYING THEM TO TREAT YOU...

Good luck..[/COLOR]

Closed Thread